• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

$tan Kroenke Becomes Soul Owner

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

The stadium move made sense in the context of elevating our status to the likes of Man United, Bayern et al. The question is why did we handicap ourselves financially? There should have been some additional capital contribution from the owners during this period so we could still have competed from 2006 to 2013. It wouldn't even have had to be significant sums of money, we had the spine of a great team during that period, we were always missing 1 or 2 key pieces (GK and CB) which always inevitably cost us.

Yeah an extra 10 mill in the transfer kitty would have helped immensely ,all the while Pool owners were spending big , 30 mill on Torres , imagine if Torres was with us in front of that midfield .

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Yeah an extra 10 mill in the transfer kitty would have helped immensely ,all the while Pool owners were spending big , 30 mill on Torres , imagine if Torres was with us in front of that midfield .

A semi competent keeper and we would have won a PL for sure during that time.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

@bingobob - I don't agree with you about the timing. By the time it's all said and done, Tottenham's stadium is going to be close to the £1bn mark while ours cost close to a third of that (£390m). The Emirates stadium has surely doubled in value since completion.

Financing of the stadium should have also been met with additional capital funding from the owners so as to keep us competitive.
I didn't necessarily mean leave it to when Sp**s done it. But if we held off for two years rates dropped, land value dropped and so did Labour costs (especially in construction because so many went out of work) and we could have benefited from that plus had a bigger investment in the squad to attract better sponsorship in the long term.

100% agree on owners financing some of the project. Especially now as Kronke is now benefiting from the increased value of the stadium.

ClubLevel

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and who were to knew what would happen in the financial market and also the premier league (Man City/Chelsea coming into money).

For all we know we may have waited a few more years, become less competitive and less likely to secure loans etc. Land may have been cheaper and also construction but interest rates may have been higher too.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
2008 and 2016 are the ones I think should haunt the board(2008) and Wenger(2016). Both years you're talking one more competent player in the squad and we're probably champions.
Agree. 2016 in particular was criminal. 2008 we had a lot go against us. The team were pretty shattered mentally after some of those horror injuries.
2016 we all sat here debating furiously about which position we needed filling. One thing we all agreed on was that we needed at least one more outfield player though. The arrogance displayed in not dipping into the market that year, I believe, set us back and cemented our place outside the top four for the consecutive seasons.
I said way back there in that window and so did others that we would only see the detrimental effects in a couple seasons. We did..

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
yay1.gif

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Turn those frowns upside down. The Rams are currently spending money like the NFL doesn't have a salary cap. Maybe Arsenal will start doing the same.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Turn those frowns upside down. The Rams are currently spending money like the NFL doesn't have a salary cap. Maybe Arsenal will start doing the same.

They've just extended Aaron Donald for 6 years and $135 million. Converted to U.K. currency, that breaks down to £1.1 million per game.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
But what proof is there that he'd do the same for Arsenal? The LA Rams is his flagship investment, Arsenal is secondary. Perhaps next summer's transfer window will tell, as it'll be the first with the new commercial deals and sole ownership, but i'm not holding my breath at all.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
But what proof is there that he'd do the same for Arsenal? The LA Rams is his flagship investment, Arsenal is secondary. Perhaps next summer's transfer window will tell, as it'll be the first with the new commercial deals and sole ownership, but i'm not holding my breath at all.

What proof is there that he won't? The argument has always been that he's a penny-pinching cheapskate and his American sports franchises are regularly held up as proof of that. Although this has never really been the case -- and, as I've said many times, it's comparing apples and oranges because of the difference in the way American sports leagues operate -- this has been the narrative.

In fact, only the two Manchester clubs have been spending more than Arsenal over the past few years. I shared something a couple of weeks ago that showed that even after Liverpool's spending this summer they are behind Arsenal since summer 2016. They sold to buy and only this summer (after the windfall of their Champions League run) did they have a large net spend.

But you can take it back even further -- beyond, in fact, the infamous Summer of Cech. Arsenal ranks 3rd if you go all the way back to 2014. This chart doesn't include the summer 2018 window, so you can add another £60 million on top of this.

Screen%20Shot%202018-04-30%20at%2022.50.03.png

So Arsenal has been willing to spend money. What bothers some Arsenal fans is that the spending isn't coming from Kroenke's personal bank account as was the case with Abramovich or the City Football Group when they spent their way to the top. Or maybe people would be happier if the club was carrying a massive debt as United has since the Glazers leveraged the club itself for the takeover. At least when Kroenke has bought shares the investment has come from KSE and any short-term debt has been incurred by KSE and not loaded onto Arsenal in Glazeresque fashion.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Hurray

Let us rejoice, for now we are Sauron's underlings.

Sauron would never have a stupid moustache like Kroenke. He should be stopped at Heathrow, and forcibly shaved, before being allowed entry to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Top Bottom