• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Steve Bould: How Is He As Assistant Manager?

Herbas

This was the first season for Bould as our assistant manager, replacing Pat Rice. What is your opinion about his work this season?

1) Is he suitable for assistant manager role? Did you expect more/less from him?

2) How do you compare him to Pat Rice?

3) What changes he brought in?

4) Do you see him as a successor to Wenger who would take over manager position after Wenger leaving?

Personally, he seems to be a bit enigmatic to me. Pat Rice used to be a lot more energetic from the sidelines by shouting at players and chatting with Wenger, while Bould seems to just sit there without any communication.

You could account our improved defensive display to him, but his lack of input in matchdays just gives me an impression that the better defence and him becoming assistant manager is just a coincidence and Bould doesn't really have any say.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It is really hard to gauge the impact an assistant manager makes because we rarely know the roles they play within the squad and they publicly don't take responsibility for the failures of the team like the manager does.

However, we had a great defensive record this season and my guess would be that Bould had a positive impact in that regard. So based on a hunch, I think he's done a good job.

If he makes us better defensively I hope he stays for a long time.

k24bfan

Under Wenger we just don't know how much work he is doing but he seems respected in the dressing room so I take that as a good sign.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Going by what we see on the pitch, because thats all we have, you have to say it's not a coincidence that a man with his history comes on board with the seniors and we witness a defensive stability not seen since our Champions League Final run.

Beyond that, you have to be on the inside, comparing him to Rice etc. Its funny because later in his career, Rice came to be considered a "yes man" amongst fan's, but ex players will tell you that Rice was never a "yes man", couldn't be further from the truth.

yuvken

Established Member
"The Bould effect!" 8))

"The Bould effect?"

The "Bould effect" :lol:

Ah... "The Bould effect" :respect
-----------------------------

Another month would pass, who knows where that cycle was at.

How the f*** should we know how good Bould is as an assistant?
no one could even get sufficient hints as to wether: 1. They get along/there was-wasn't a rift 2. Bould can talk (and be heard) 3. Bould does talk (and is heard) 4. Bould gets to work with the defense alone/on his own ideas.... his list could go to 100 and more.

As a matter of fact, this season is rather identical with the previous one.
Yes, we were more based on defensive solidity (which we "have found" towards the end), but we also "found" Kos, a good run and understanding between our 2 CBs, a healthy Gibbs (with a decent back-up), etc.

Sure, there could be a really huge Bould effect. I don't see how we can tell (at least for now).

Anzac

Established Member
If we are to believe the stories than the first impact of 'The Bould Effect' was a fall out with Song that as a result saw the player depart rather hurriedly last summer.

Other than that there have been a number of contradictions as to his impact and relationship with AW and the team.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I think we have been a bigger threat from set pieces in general this season which I put down to Boulds influence with the big daft flick from Mertesacker. While we may not always have taken advantage of the opportunities created it seems at least we have a plan and it sometimes causes havoc and occassionally goals.

musicmonkey

Established Member
I do like our corners when Santi or Jack take them. Even when Merte misses the flick on there's a fair chance it'll drop into the middle for an easy goal.

Podolski nicked one vs Bayern and vs Wigan. The confusion it creates is brilliant :lol:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzrrNcn0Z0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzrrNcn0Z0</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuD0pbnMKm8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuD0pbnMKm8</a>

alboots101

Established Member
I like Stevie Bould and if what I'm seeing from our D has anything to with SB then he doing a good job. I also think that he's the conduit between the players and AW. It'll be interesting to see what happens should AW not sign a new contract.

Mobb Starr

A difficult question to answer. A lot depends on the decision to drop Verms. How much was that due to Bould advising Wenger on the best CD partnership.

Also, did he have any influence on the signing of Nacho. Did Bould have any influence on the need to bring in defensive cover for Gibbo in January as he knew that Verms is as useless as a LB as he is a CD.

Those were the two major decisions that rescued our season. Wenger might have had the final say but would he have made those decisions if Bould wasn't there to advise him or if Pat Rice was still No2?

Le Professeur

Established Member
musicmonkey said:
I do like our corners when Santi or Jack take them. Even when Merte misses the flick on there's a fair chance it'll drop into the middle for an easy goal.

Podolski nicked one vs Bayern and vs Wigan. The confusion it creates is brilliant :lol:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzrrNcn0Z0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzrrNcn0Z0</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuD0pbnMKm8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuD0pbnMKm8</a>

:lol: such lame goals.

Re: Bould, I'm not sure really. Has to be said we've been in excellent defensive shape since dropping Verms though.

IslingtonBornandbred

That explains things a bit. What does he do then? :lol:

I always had a feeling that someone like Bould would be asked or moulded to kind of forget his playing career. So he turns into a "coach" from scratch i.e putting on standard sessions. I kind of felt like that as well when I saw Lehmann sitting in the stands every game not on the bench. It appears Jens is doing the sort of Primorac role sitting in the stand analysing whereas I thought he'd be in the changing room as an extra voice/leader because he's usually got a lot to say!

I did dig this out though from Rob Holding. So it appears Bould does pull players to the side and work with them individually but I guess he doesn't have a lot of say on the actual team shape or playing style/tactics/throwing men forward i.e Both full backs at the same time.

“There were times in training where Steve Bouldy pulled me in to say that my body shape should be slightly different or I should’ve been in a slightly different position,” Holding told Arsenal Player.

“Then we’d go through it after training on the cameras and I think that was the stuff that helped towards me getting back into the team.”

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
5 year bump. Fair play :lol:

What' a punkt slut? Is it when a punter does a runner on a prostitute after he's finished?@YeahBee

Brown Gooner

DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH
He is possibly the best defensive coach on planet Earth. He has made Mustafi the next Beckenbauer, Kolasinac the next Maldini and Chambers the next Puyol.

Hats off to Mr. Bould!! :rolleyes:

c00lguy

Even if he has no control, that is on Bould. He took the job and he's been nothing but a yes man to Wenger. If he had balls he'd speak out.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
So what he do taking his huge wages and stare at out defensive get f**led every weekend? I don't believe people saying he has no control

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
5 year bump. Fair play :lol:

What' a punkt slut? Is it when a punter does a runner on a prostitute after he's finished?@YeahBee

it means period, not the time when we run and hide from the missus just the saying "period" to spell out and emphasize at the end of a sentence.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom