• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Steven Nzonzi

Keplaz

Maybe Xhaka will be deployed as a more attacking player. I don't know. It's crazy that we are linked with all these central midfield players and we are already packed.

He might be going for a 4-4-2 diamond. Özil or Mkh at the top. Xhaka and Ramsey either side, Torreira or Nzonzi holding. Or Torreira and Ramsey either side. Play wingbacks for width.

I don't know. Just hope Unai Knows becomes a thing.

pikey2000

Maybe Xhaka will be deployed as a more attacking player. I don't know. It's crazy that we are linked with all these central midfield players and we are already packed.

He might be going for a 4-4-2 diamond. Özil or Mkh at the top. Xhaka and Ramsey either side, Torreira or Nzonzi holding. Or Torreira and Ramsey either side. Play wingbacks for width.

I don't know. Just hope Unai Knows becomes a thing.

Many of us have said a diamond midfield would suit our personel, i'd like to see it given a chance, the fact we have no real wingers should surely be a driving factor behind giving it a go.

--------Laca - PEA--------
------------Özil------------
--Xhaka--------Ramsey--
---------Torreira----------

Nice blend of skills there, plenty of movement for Özil/Xhaka to pick out with the front two plus Ramsey making runs in behind, allows the full backs to push on whilst Torreira/NZonzi (if we got him) drop to make a back 3 when we are going forwards.

Only downside is that it may not suit Nelson who does seem to be a wide man in the making to me.

Iwobi and Mhki could slot in in place of Özil or Ramsey so they would still get game time.

Welbezihno and Nketieh rotate for Laca and PEA.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Many of us have said a diamond midfield would suit our personel, i'd like to see it given a chance, the fact we have no real wingers should surely be a driving factor behind giving it a go.

--Xhaka--------Ramsey--

Nice blend of skills there, plenty of movement for Özil/Xhaka to pick out with the front two plus Ramsey making runs in behind, allows the full backs to push on whilst Torreira/NZonzi (if we got him) drop to make a back 3 when we are going forwards.

Only downside is that it may not suit Nelson who does seem to be a wide man in the making to me.

Iwobi and Mhki could slot in in place of Özil or Ramsey so they would still get game time.

I rarely see sides play so narrow. Do you have examples of successful sides using a narrow diamond?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I rarely see sides play so narrow. Do you have examples of successful sides using a narrow diamond?

Depends on what you mean by "successful." Off the top of my head, Guardiola has used it. Sp**s use it now. Liverpool used it under Rodgers. Lacazette was Player of the Season in Ligue 1 when Lyon was playing that formation. Özil was quite successful in the diamond at Werder Bremen. Benfica won the Portuguese league using it some years ago. The natural lack of width is overcome by having a front 5 that's mobile and moves into spaces easily.

That said, Arsenal is not going to be playing a 4-4-2 diamond. It's pointless to keep trying to figure out formations where you can fit everyone in. Emery will use a flexible 4-2-3-1 (which can easily drift into a 4-3-3 or in the defense a flat 4-4-2) or he'll possibly use a straight 4-3-3. He knows what he plans to do with these players. There will be competition for spots, just like you see at other clubs. Players will be rotated to keep them fresh. With the league and all the cup competitions, there will be minutes for everybody.

lucky7

--Xhaka--------Ramsey--

I get the diamond argument although I prefer mhiki instead of xhaka with his experience in pressing systems.

How does Nzonzi fit here though unless we have just bought Torreira for rotation?

To me an Nzonzi purchase pushes us towards a 4231.

pikey2000

To me our width is rarely used effectively, we dont play wingers and so often we get wide only to feed the ball back and recycle possession, if we were all about getting the ball wide, beating the full back and feeding it into dangerous areas of the penalty area i'd be concerned with adopting the diamond but fact is we don't have the players for that approach "yet".

pikey2000

I get the diamond argument although I prefer mhiki instead of xhaka with his experience in pressing systems.

How does Nzonzi fit here though unless we have just bought Torreira for rotation?

To me an Nzonzi purchase pushes us towards a 4231.

I think he slots straight in as a DM and Torreria who is younger and appears to be more dynamic can rotate with him or either of the Xhaka/Ramsey CM positions so would still get plenty of play time,

All hypothetical of course as I don't see us adpoting the diamond, just a fascinating option for me, especially due to the lack of wingers the club has

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Milan played like that back with Kaka et al

I want the midfield to be a more flat three men midfield but that is Kinda semantics

What a flat 3men midfield does thou is easier to swap personer depending on opposition

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
We don't need N'zonzi. Torreira, Xhaka, Guendozi, AMN, Elneny and Ramsey fighting it out for two starting spots.

Bailey is a fantatistic talent but our front 4 of PEA, Laca, Özil and Mkhi is top quality and Bailey wont go anyhwere he isnt starting.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
We don't need N'zonzi. Torreira, Xhaka, Guendozi, AMN, Elneny and Ramsey fighting it out for two starting spots.

Bailey is a fantatistic talent but our front 4 of PEA, Laca, Özil and Mkhi is top quality and Bailey wont go anyhwere he isnt starting.
How many can effectively play the deepest position on Emery board spotted yesterday? So much pressure on Torreira to come in at a high level & maintain otherwise. A player like N'zonzi relives the pressure.

DjLrGGhXcAArFhq.jpg

Bailey is a talent you just sign. Could be the most exciting u21 English talent by September as well. In our position seems the type of risk hard to pass up on.

Top Bottom