• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Stewart Downing

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Gunners linked with Boro winger

Arsenal are targeting Middlesbrough's £10m-rated winger Stewart Downing, although Manchester United could also be interested. (Daily Star)

seanconvey66

Not good enough yet. Wouldnt get in our team. Needs to proove himself up their for a couple of years before he can think of moving anywhere

Ratinho

Established Member
I think he's a top player, but we are covered on the left for now, and around £10m could be spent so much better elsewhere on the pitch.

Mark

Established Member
A left sided midfielder is hardly something we desperately need. He's just being linked with the big clubs because he's playing well I think. Nothing more to it.

patrick42uk

Established Member
i think we will still be getting a left midfield player in the future to replace pires, but i dont think downing's style is the sort we'll be looking for. we need a player withe the ability to cut in and play the killer passes. downing has a dcent enought right foot for cutting in, but his main strength lies in hitting the byline and putting his very good crosses. a team like united could do with him.

KingReyes

Established Member
Can't see it happening, Pires has 2-3 season left in him and that would allow Ryan Smith(when uninjured) enough time to prove himself on the left. Reyes can play there as we know also as can Freddie, RVP and Quincy.

Clarkey

Plus theres a certain Englishman by the name of David Bentley who can play left, right and upfront. We are balanced on the wingers front, maybe another young right winger to allow Bentley to challenge for the left with Pires and RVP leaving Pennant, Ljungberg and 'young player'.

Canuck

Established Member
Every big club in England and some abroad will be trying to pry this gem away from Boro. I honestly hope that the kid stay put. Gets some experience there, Boro isn't such a bad team to be developing at. Good facilities, good coach, European experience at the moment. Stay put for a bit kid, if you know what's good for you. (shades of Parker and Saha)

GOONER1991

Established Member
Stuart Downing

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/arsenal-and-liverpool-battle-for-england-winger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-l ... and-winger</a>

Arsenal and Liverpool are leading the race to sign Stewart Downing, according to the Daily Mail.

The England winger, recently called into Fabio Captello's squad for the European Championship qualifier against Switzerland, has had a good season for Villa despite the teams' difficult term under Gerard Houllier.

And with Arsenal and Liverpool looking to build upon contrasting seasons, Downing is seen as the beginning of their transfer dealings this summer.

Kenny Dalglish has put a winger at the top of his transfer wish list for Liverpool this summer, while Arsène Wenger may have to look for a replacement for Andrey Arshavin.

Arsenal had their title challenge derailed by Liverpool after Dirk Kuyt's late penalty salvaged a draw for Dalglish's men, who have undergone something of a revival since Roy Hodgson's departure half-way through the season.

Never really been a fan of his. Only really watched him for England before this season and he was s**t. Seen a bit of him this season, and he's impressed me. Good left foot, good workrate, and completely different to anything in the team that we already have.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
Re: Stuart Downing

Is Kieron Dyer still around? Maybe we should give him a call right after we sign Downing.

GOONER1991

Established Member

NIPOLOPO said:
Is Kieron Dyer still around? Maybe we should give him a call right after we sign Downing.

That's a great idea. A midfield of:

Downing - Parker - Wilshere - Dyer

Would be beast.

AshburtonGhost

I don't mind Downing, not a bad player, I just don't think he's right for our style of football. I'd rather Ashley Young, Charles N'Zogbia or Adam Johnson, to be honest.

Shue

Established Member

Would be a decent signing if we were to go back to 442 and sign a striker like Benzema or Falcao.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom