• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Strewth - Aussies at Arsenal

Asterix

Established Member
I posted this in the Arsenal Talk section, but wanted to pop it in here too. Enjoy.

As an avid Aussie fan of Arsenal, and a follower of Australians abroad, I had always been under the impression that John Kosmina was the only Australian who played for Arsenal. I think he only appeared once or twice in the late seventies before heading back home.

Adrian Alston also nearly made it to Arsenal. Adrian came to Australia from England in 1968 as a 21 year old, and six years later was a standout for the Socceroos at the 1974 World Cup finals. From there he rejected an offer from Hertha Berlin to join Luton, but he wasn't trusted by management (despite a healthy goal scoring record) and floundered a little. Arsenal made an offer for him but Luton rejected it. They did then accept an offer from Cardiff City, and a year later Alston went to play in the glitzy NASL for the Tampa Bay Rowdies where he got to mix it up with Pele, Beckenbauer, George Best and others.

Alston didn't enjoy his time much playing inEngland but said "If I'd have gone to Arsenal I probably would have thought English football was alright!"

However, I am currently reading "The Away Game" by Matthew Hall - a collection of stories of Australians past and present who have plied their trade overseas. The first chapter is about Joe Marston. Joe captained Australia, and also his club side, Preston North End, during the 54-55 season. The season before he played in the FA Cup Final as Preston lost 3-2 to West Brom. The season beofre that Joe missed out on a Championship medal on goal difference as Arsenal pipped Preston to the League title.

Joe didn't play for Arsenal, but the chapter on him describes the first Australian to play overseas - a certain James Jackson who played initially for Glasgow Rangers in 1894, before stints at Newcastle United and Woolwich Arsenal. Nothing more about him is mentioned. But a quick Google search reveals he was from a Scots family who moved to Australia in 1877, when young James was two. He grew up playing football, and returned to Scotland in 1893. He signed for Rangers the following year but was only a fringe player.

In 1899, after the spell at Tyneside, Jackson joined Woolwich Arsenal. He operated as a left full back or wing half. Jackson remained at the club for several years, playing nearly every game as the club gained promotion in 1903-04. The following season Jackson captained the club in its first season in the First Division.

In 1905 James Jackson left Arsenal to become player-manager at Leyton. He had made 204 appearances for the club, and scored one goal.

So there you go, all you Aussie Gooners. Technically James Jackson was probably a Scot, given that Australia had not gone through Federation. But he spent his formative years in Australia, and that'll do me. I'm hapy to say, perhaps cheekily, that Arsenal's first captain in its first First Division campaign, was an Aussie.

RC8

Established Member
Remarkable. Truly remarkable. Good find. Very interesting.

I shared a 5 hour ride with a couple of Australian guys the other day. They said they supported 'Pool because of Kewell, but I tried to convince them Arsenal was traditionally more Australian than 'Pool. Of course I was kind of making it up, but knowing this would have helped :lol:

Stipe

Marshall Soper was offered a contract by Arsenal in the 80's. He rejected them however and regrets it to this day. He has been training me since i was 11!

Top Bottom