• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Struggling under pressure

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

This thread needs resurrecting. I was watching some old Hleb compilations from 2006-2008 and what stood out was not only his composure under pressure, but the other players around him. Compare that to now where you wouldn't trust many of these players when being pressed.

So many of our guys now are scared in possession, especially the defence while we give it away too cheaply in midfield. It's such a recipe for disaster.

I know I go back to him a lot but Cazorla was such a good player when it came to press resistance and keeping the ball in tight situations while being calm enough to play his way out. While at the back Mertesacker, while he did make some mistakes, was relatively composed at the back. We still had problems no doubt but even from then we've declined so much now in that regard.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
This thread needs resurrecting. I was watching some old Hleb compilations from 2006-2008 and what stood out was not only his composure under pressure, but the other players around him. Compare that to now where you wouldn't trust many of these players when being pressed.

I see KozielloEN has taken over your timeline too :lol:

Completely agree, there are so few players in this squad who can play out of pressure and our most composed player is a crock now unfortunately. I'd say there's 3 players I'd trust with the ball when under pressure and that's a joke for a supposed technical attacking side.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
The talk of Xhaka not being good under pressure got me thinking, how many of the current squad would you trust to receive the ball while being pressed?

ThlRama

Player:Saka
The talk of Xhaka not being good under pressure got me thinking, how many of the current squad would you trust to receive the ball while being pressed?

Guendouzi, Torreira, Lacazette, that's it. Özil and especially Ramsey haven't been too bad at it lately compared to their older selves, but they still need to get better.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Guendouzi, Torreira, Lacazette, that's it. Özil and especially Ramsey haven't been too bad at it lately compared to their older selves, but they still need to get better.
Monreal isn't too bad and Iwobi is good at retaining the ball.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
I’ve completely forgotten about AMN until now.
I really hope we get to see him and Torreira play next to each other during the season. Would love to see him get a run of games in the league like Matteo did.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Yeah, Iwobi too, good shout. He's great at holding on to the ball lately.
Reason I mentioned Nacho is because I can't count how many times he's been placed under pressure with a stinging pass from a CB or Cech and he just takes all the energy out the ball in a single touch, turns and plays his move. Very tidy player.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Only Özil and Iwobi that I can think can play on the half turn . Not sure why so maby people think Guendouzi , Laca or Torreira . At Newcastle Guendouzi passed sideways so much it was unreal .

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Only Özil and Iwobi that I can think can play on the half turn . Not sure why so maby people think Guendouzi , Laca or Torreira . At Newcastle Guendouzi passed sideways so much it was unreal .

I'd say Iwobi, AMN, Lacazette and Monreal are the best at receiving the ball under pressure. Monreal has such good technique and decision making while on the ball. Iwobi is the best at shielding under pressure, Lacazette has very good turning. AMN has it all. Surprised Özil is being mentioned. He is quite easy to dispossess and press if you get to him quickly before he has complete control. As soon as he has that ball under he can keep it away from you.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I'd say Iwobi, AMN, Lacazette and Monreal are the best at receiving the ball under pressure. Monreal has such good technique and decision making while on the ball. Iwobi is the best at shielding under pressure, Lacazette has very good turning. AMN has it all. Surprised Özil is being mentioned. He is quite easy to dispossess and press if you get to him quickly before he has complete control. As soon as he has that ball under he can keep it away from you.

It's not just my opinion it's been mentioned by coaching staff as well . Lacazette is hit and miss imo but that's not his job, AMN is kind of unproven . What I appreciate about Iwobi and Özil is their ability to control the tempo of the game slow it down and speed it up , we don't have anyone else like that .

Latest posts+

Top Bottom