• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Club confirm Sven Mislintat leaving Arsenal on February 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
A lot seemed underwhelmed by the signings, but surely that’s got more to do with Kroenke’s budget than Sven’s real wish list. We’re shipping out a lot of players so there’s a lot of holes to fill.

I’ll wait and see how they perform before making judgement.
Kroenke's budget has always been a "problem" and is likely to remain so for the duration of his stay. The signings are objectively underwhelming but they do on paper address a squad need. Like you,I'll wait for the season to start.

TheArsenalis

I hope the other poster was being tongue in cheek because Sven's signings haven't been that impressive. Apart from Aubameyeng but I don't think he gets credit for scouting Dortmund players.

It's interesting that we seem to be less picky when it comes to signing players, Arséne would always want a specific skill set or a type of player he can mold.
Arsène was full of it. Your specific comment is why arsenal got to this point here as also rans.

He always say we want to sign special players. Lol that old fool ddnt want to sign anyone. Thats why he wait till last minute, thats why he sign crocks.

Good players are not hard to find. Whether it be young or old. Thousands pf players on display each week.

To sign cech over begovic who waa available was ridiculous too.

Jae

I hope the other poster was being tongue in cheek because Sven's signings haven't been that impressive. Apart from Aubameyeng but I don't think he gets credit for scouting Dortmund players.

It's interesting that we seem to be less picky when it comes to signing players, Arséne would always want a specific skill set or a type of player he can mold.

I'm not seriously suggesting he get at statue if that's what you mean :lol:

I don't believe in signing players just for the sake of it, they should add quality to the team, but unfortunately under Wenger we stood still for too long and allowed all our rivals to overtake us. At least it looks like we are making positive changes by signing solid, dependable players (if a bit unremarkable) and getting rid of our dead weight.

Time will tell if these signings are any good, but I believe that unlike Wenger's tenure, if any of these players don't cut the mustard under Emery they'll be gone ASAP.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
A lot seemed underwhelmed by the signings, but surely that’s got more to do with Kroenke’s budget than Sven’s real wish list. We’re shipping out a lot of players so there’s a lot of holes to fill.

I’ll wait and see how they perform before making judgement.

Well of course I'll have to see how they perform before making a judgement. But right now I'm not judging the signings, I'm assessing them and that's why I feel they're underwhelming. Especially our GK and CB signings, and that's mainly because of Kroenke's budget or a debate that seems to have died out now Arsène is gone 'squad cost'.

I'm just more pissed at all the money we've spent the last 2 years with not much to show for it, it's been over 150m spent on unconvincing to downright liability players.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Well of course I'll have to see how they perform before making a judgement. But right now I'm not judging the signings, I'm assessing them and that's why I feel they're underwhelming. Especially our GK and CB signings, and that's mainly because of Kroenke's budget or a debate that seems to have died out now Arséne is gone 'squad cost'.

I'm just more pissed at all the money we've spent the last 2 years with not much to show for it, it's been over 150m spent on unconvincing to downright liability players.
It will never die out.

If Emery is a failure people will likely blame Kroenke and his budget limitations.

If Emery is a success and challenges for the league title, people will say that it was Wenger holding us back because Emery is getting the most out of the players despite spending less than the richer 3 clubs.

Either way squad cost will figure largely because it’s the undeniable driving force in modern football.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think the situation we're in now is quite comparable to maybe the position Liverpool found themselves in during Klopp's first summer transfer window as Liverpool manager. Outside of the top 4 and needing to rebuild in a certain way.

Mane for £37 million from Southampton
Wijnaldum for £25 million from Newcastle
Karius for £6 million
Matip on a free.
Klavan for £4.5 million

Considering the profiles, the clubs they came from and fees of these players they could be considered somewhat underwhelming but it was just a sign of the position Liverpool were in and the need to be inventive in the way they built their squad when you don't have CL football or the money to compete with the Manchester clubs.

I think we're seeing that now with us. Lichsteiner brought in on a free to add another option and experience, Sokratis a well-known somewhat dependable CB, Leno a good keeper still young enough to improve and likely Torreira who could be a real coup. With hopefully 2/3 more on top of that to really give us a chance.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I just want someone to disagree
Mislintat needs to certainly spend more if he's to give Emery a chance at the title in the next few years. Whether Kroenke will let him is another matter. Here's how squad cost finished with respect to league positions last season. League pos first, squad cost position second.

13 teams finished within 2 or 3 places of their squad cost, in fact in the top half of the table every team but one . . . shown in bold.

In the bottom half of the table it didn't work so well. But there's a reason for that. there's only about £100m spread between the cost of those teams. In the top half the spread is nearer £600m. The role of money is much clearly defined. Burnley, wow!!

ManC 1, 1
ManU 2, 2
Spur 3, 6
Livl 4, 4
Chel 5, 3
Arse 6, 5

Burn 7, 17
Ever 8, 7
Leic 9, 10
Newc 10, 12
Cryst 11, 8

Bour 12, 16
WHam13, 11
Watf 14, 13

Brig 15, 19
Hudd 16, 20
Sout 17, 9
Swan 18, 15
Stok 19, 15
WBro 20, 14

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Mislintat needs to certainly spend more if he's to give Emery a chance at the title in the next few years. Whether Kroenke will let him is another matter. Here's how squad cost finished with respect to league positions last season. League pos first, squad cost position second.

13 teams finished within 2 or 3 places of their squad cost, in fact in the top half of the table every team but one . . . shown in bold.

In the bottom half of the table it didn't work so well. But there's a reason for that. there's only about £100m spread between the cost of those teams. In the top half the spread is nearer £600m. The role of money is much clearly defined. Burnley, wow!!

ManC 1, 1
ManU 2, 2
Spur 3, 6
Livl 4, 4
Chel 5, 3
Arse 6, 5

Burn 7, 17
Ever 8, 7
Leic 9, 10
Newc 10, 12
Cryst 11, 8

Bour 12, 16
WHam13, 11
Watf 14, 13

Brig 15, 19
Hudd 16, 20
Sout 17, 9
Swan 18, 15
Stok 19, 15
WBro 20, 14

How much do we take into account the years of spending though? Chelsea and Man City have been spending ridiculous for 15 years now, surely that's relevant. Also the wage bill, like City can afford to have a bench full of players on 6 figures whilst I doubt Sp**s or Liverpool can.

Hate to compliment Sp**s but they really are punching above their weight.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

How much do we take into account the years of spending though? Chelsea and Man City have been spending ridiculous for 15 years now, surely that's relevant. Also the wage bill, like City can afford to have a bench full of players on 6 figures whilst I doubt Sp**s or Liverpool can.

Hate to compliment Sp**s but they really are punching above their weight.
And it doesn’t look like Kane will be poached like Bale, or just about any other player in that position.

Dj_sds -

Chamakh
Park
Andre santos
Jenkinson
Gervinho
Squillachi
Mustafi
Kalstrom :lol:
Sanogo :lol::lol:
Asano
Semi retired flamini

Wenger was very picky:lol:

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Chamakh
Park
Andre santos
Jenkinson
Gervinho
Squillachi
Mustafi
Kalstrom :lol:
Sanogo :lol::lol:
Asano
Semi retired flamini

Wenger was very picky:lol:

How did I miss that post? :lol: Wenger was responsible for signing Xhaka and Mustafi too, comfortably the two most slated players at the club for the past two seasons, and at absurd prices while at it.

Every single signing Wenger has made since Alexis, Lacazette being the single exception here, has been ****. And we are comparing this to Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Mavropanos, Leno, Torreira, Guendouzi, Sokratis... Yeah, OK.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Grimandi thinks missing out on both Thauvin and Griezmann in the summer of 2013 is something praiseworthy, odd man.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
I hope Sven will bring a good CB and a winger this winter. Especially if we raise some funds by offloading Ramsey.

Welbeck looks pretty good ATM so it might be wise to sell him before his contract ends and promote Nketiah.

If we can get £30M for both it would be better than £0 this summer.

Dj_sds -

How did I miss that post? :lol: Wenger was responsible for signing Xhaka and Mustafi too, comfortably the two most slated players at the club for the past two seasons, and at absurd prices while at it.

Every single signing Wenger has made since Alexis, Lacazette being the single exception here, has been ****. And we are comparing this to Mkhitaryan, Aubameyang, Mavropanos, Leno, Torreira, Guendouzi, Sokratis... Yeah, OK.

Forgotten thread i think:lol:. But i do think xhaka was a decent signing tho. But other than that the signings we made this season are a level above the signings we have made in the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom