• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sven's Transfer Targets: Summer 2018

If we were to spend big money on one player, what position would you prefer that to be for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Banega is almost 30. We need to buy for now but also with an eye on the future. I liked him at Inter but I'm not convinced he's right for us.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Banega is almost 30. We need to buy for now but also with an eye on the future. I liked him at Inter but I'm not convinced he's right for us.

We have a lot of young midfielders though (average age of our 5 midfielders is about 24/25). That's one area of the pitch where we could do with an experienced head.

Last edited:

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

My only concern is that Ever can be a hot head and that may have cost him along the way. Football talent wise, he is great player, prototype of Argentinian "enganche", CM with great vision and passing range.

Channelling that temperament can only be to the benefit of Arsenal;)

If he's available, we should go for him. Though he has improved as the season progressed I still maintain my initial position, the less of Xhaka's presence in midfield the better.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
We have a lot of young midfielders though (average age of our 5 midfielders is about 24/25). That's one area of the pitch where we could do with an experienced head.
I didn't realise the midfield was still quite young. He's great if he can cope with the physicality of the PL. Otherwise, we will have an old player who is good for the odd 20 minutes.

Rouski

Another guy worth having a look at would have been Hannover's Salif Sané from Senegal. Big, physical CB who can play DM an is probably a bit underrated, but he's already off to Schalke.

Good call on Salif Sane, he looks like quality with Koulibaly for Senegal. Schalke got a good deal with the £6m release clause. Surprised we didn't go for him Sven's knowledge of the Bundesliga.

2018%2f5%2fsaneimage22.png

Stannis

Don’t know how I feel about Banega. The guy is better on the ball than anyone we have bar Özil and is decent defensively, though he is also a borderline lunatic (which is good and bad). At 10 mill the price is nothing as well.

However will he be willing to accept a squad role and fight for a first team spot? How big will his wage demands be.

Plus I still feel we need a physical presence in midfield (not fellani ).

This is one of those that if it happens I’ll be happy but not to fussed if it doesn’t.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Can't see us signing Banega after we get Torreira. We are set at midfield. It is dependent on whether Ramsey signs or not and if he doesnt, we need to invest the money in a young box to box like Kovacic or Golovin.

We have been so efficient so far. We still need a winger and young CB. We will need a cm if Ramsey leaves.

thierrytheking14

Have plenty of wing options as it is who all offer something different with Auba, Özil, Mkhi, Welbeck, Iwobi and Nelson.

Plenty of options lad, but bar maybe Nelson who's relatively untested at PL level, none of those are wingers. Personally I'd like us to get away from the 'square peg/round hole' setup that Wenger took us towards.

Granted, it can't be fixed in one summer but one orthodox wide player who has a bit of pace, skill and is danger in the final 3rd should be near top of our list. The other side of attack can then be filled with any one of the options you've listed in my opinion.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Emery is seemingly looking to balance the squad properly and he obviously sees the areas we need filling/improving. Meaning he'll be well aware at the lack of wingers in the squad and I wouldn't be surprised if we do sign one but closer to the end of the window.

£30M budget for a young CB
£30M budget for a winger
£10M Banega

Minus a few player sales and with a bit of Torreira deal esque jiggery pokery I think we'll have 7 players signed by the end of the window.

Malky

Established Member
Looking at the possible starting 11, the lack of pace and genuine width is an issue, but I've got a feeling we'll still add a winger once we've sold a couple of players.

That said, it's the 20th of June and I've not been this excited for the coming season for a long, long time! Can't wait to see what system we use, what other additions to the squad we make, or to see the new look Arsenal in action. Really feels like the beginning of a new era now.

FEH

Looking at the possible starting 11, the lack of pace and genuine width is an issue, but I've got a feeling we'll still add a winger once we've sold a couple of players.

That said, it's the 20th of June and I've not been this excited for the coming season for a long, long time! Can't wait to see what system we use, what other additions to the squad we make, or to see the new look Arsenal in action. Really feels like the beginning of a new era now.

For sure. Plus we might see our manager shout instructions from the touchline too and drop underperforming players :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom