• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Sven's Transfer Targets: Summer 2018

If we were to spend big money on one player, what position would you prefer that to be for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Ezequiel Barco went for 12m to ****ing Atlanta United.

Atlanta also picked up Paraguayan international Miguel Almiron for $8 million before the 2017 season. He had been linked with Arsenal in summer 2016 when he was still with Lanus. A lot of those young South Americans want to play for Gerardo Martino. It's a big attraction to play for a guy who has managed Paraguay, Argentina and Barcelona.

HBL

Established Member
Have to say I’m surprised we haven’t been linked with Pavlenka, thought Sven would be all over that.

Pat Rice

Self-Proclaimed Nice Guy
My prediction is Sven goes for:

Out
Ospina
Mustafi
Ramsey (maybe depending if we need the money)
Santi (free)
Per (retiring)
Holding (loan)
Iwobi (loan)
Willock (loan)

In

GK
CB x 2
CM (x 2 if Ramsey goes - 1 DM, 1 box to box - 1 of which will be early 20s)
Winger (again expect a younger player)

Personally would like Ramsey to say but think he is our most sellable asset especially if he is stalling on contract, no way new set up is going to let an Özil, Sanchez, Ox, Jack situation again. I think he could become an excellent box to box midfielder as his engine is his finest attribute.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I think South and Middle America are an interesting market to look at, where the constant increase of transfer sums seems to have cooled down a bit. Last summer Ascacibar went for 6 - 8m, Mammana for 8m, Lautaro Martinez will cost Inter around 20 iirc, Ezequiel Barco went for 12m to ****ing Atlanta United. Brazilian "wonderkid" Paulinho, who's been likened to Gabriel Jesus and Neymar, will go for 10m. There's a couple of highly rated youngsters across Mexico, Colombia and other countries in South/Middle America.

Part of the problem is that the UK has far stricter work permit requirements compared to Spain, Italy and Portugal. It's one of the reasons why Atleti have been so good, their immense scouting in Middle/South America.

Didn't we lose out on Di Maria due to work permit issues?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Part of the problem is that the UK has far stricter work permit requirements compared to Spain, Italy and Portugal. It's one of the reasons why Atleti have been so good, their immense scouting in Middle/South America.

Didn't we lose out on Di Maria due to work permit issues?

Not sure about Di Maria, but it is more difficult to get work permits in England. Another disadvantage is that South American players tend to feel more at home culturally in Spain and Italy, so even the ones who ultimately end up in England usually start out there.

carlito'sway

Established Member
My prediction is Sven goes for:

Out
Ospina
Mustafi
Ramsey (maybe depending if we need the money)
Santi (free)
Per (retiring)
Holding (loan)
Iwobi (loan)
Willock (loan)

In

GK
CB x 2
CM (x 2 if Ramsey goes - 1 DM, 1 box to box - 1 of which will be early 20s)
Winger (again expect a younger player)

Personally would like Ramsey to say but think he is our most sellable asset especially if he is stalling on contract, no way new set up is going to let an Özil, Sanchez, Ox, Jack situation again. I think he could become an excellent box to box midfielder as his engine is his finest attribute.

There are a few more that will need to let go : Akpom, Joel Campbell, Jenkinson. Not sure we will get a lot of money for them but we need to clear out the deadwood.
I am totally for selling Ramsey if he is stalling on his contract. The club needs to be more ruthless and not let those situations drag forever.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I'd be for a Ramsey switch with Herrera or Martial.
Herrera is a 20m squad player that we have no purpose for, while Martial is a 80m starter that would boost us significantly. Ramsey is 40m at best though.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
If we’re truly looking to rebuild then we need to get shot of

Ospina (make Cech second keeper)
Damian Martinez (no future here as a main keeper)
Chambers (will never be a title winning CB)
Holding (loan)
Welbeck (last year of his deal)
Joel Campbell (1 month on his deal left)
Mertesacker (retiring)
Cazorla (leaving on a free)
Lucas Perez
Akpom
Jenkinson
Asano (leaving)
Ramsey (only if he refuses to sign)

There’s a lot to clear out if we’re to be serious contenders. Ideally we’d want a main squad consisting of -

Leno/Cech
Bellerin
Sokratis/Mustafi/Kosc
Suyuncu/Mavropanos
Monreal/Kolasinac
Xhaka/Wilshere/Elneny
Ramsey/Meyer
Mkhitaryan/Iwobi
Özil/new winger
Aubameyang/Lacazette

Then obviously you have the youngsters around that like AMN/Nelson,

Don’t actually think we should get shot of Mustafi yet. At least until January when Kosc is back it’s too risky. Need two experienced CB’s and two youngsters that are relatively ready.

New winger can be anyone from Dembele/Malcom/Pavon. But we do desperately need one.

Leno (£22m), Sokratis (£17m), Suyuncu (27m), Meyer (Free). So that’s only £66m then whatever we have left after player sales and such should be going on a marquee winger signing.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The year is 2018 and Arsenal fans are still expecting 6 incoming first XI signings. What we need and what we get are always so far apart.

We're getting three at most, maybe a Mavo style or two signing and those will be loaned out for the season.

My guess is that it'll be a GK, one of Sokatris or Caglar and a CM in case we sell Ramsey.

Don't think we'll see any stellar forward signings, like, say, Mahrez-ish, with Laca/Auba/Mkhi and Özil.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
The year is 2018 and Arsenal fans are still expecting 6 incoming first XI signings. What we need and what we get are always so far apart.

We're getting three at most, maybe a Mavo style or two signing and those will be loaned out for the season.

My guess is that it'll be a GK, one of Sokatris or Caglar and a CM in case we sell Ramsey.

Don't think we'll see any stellar forward signings, like, say, Mahrez-ish, with Laca/Auba/Mkhi and Özil.

If Mustafi goes we'll sign two centre backs. We'll sign a GK for sure and Ospina will leave with Cech becoming the cup keeper. A CM will be signed and if Ramsey and Wilshere both go another one might come in. It's possible we could see a backup RB as we need one. In terms of forwards i only see us getting a young prospect if Welbeck doesn't extend and is sold.

I think we'll start the season with a first team containing a new GK, two new CBs and a new CM.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
If Mustafi goes we'll sign two centre backs. We'll sign a GK for sure and Ospina will leave with Cech becoming the cup keeper. A CM will be signed and if Ramsey and Wilshere both go another one might come in. It's possible we could see a backup RB as we need one. In terms of forwards i only see us getting a young prospect if Welbeck doesn't extend and is sold.

I think we'll start the season with a first team containing a new GK, two new CBs and a new CM.

Don't think we'll see replacements come in for both Wilshere or Ramsey. Think it's a case of: if it's Wilshere that leaves, so be it. It's it's Rambo and Jack stay, we'll get someone in.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I think the fact that we have Sven, Raul, Aubameyang and potentially Sokratis could be quite a big factor if we do go for Ousmane.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Dembele seems such a pipe dream to me. It doesn't make sense at all.

If Griezmann goes to Barca then Dembele becomes a possibility, and I'd try to use Laca to get Dembele.

Improving our attack is the last thing we need to worry about, so anything regarding Dembele would need to happen after near the end of the transfer window once our defense, midfield and GK are sorted out.

I'd send Laca to Barca, and Barca send Dembele to us. It could be that both are on loan with options to buy, or we send them Laca and cash for Dembele. Player swaps rarely work, but this one makes too much sense.

Laca isn't a guaranteed starter for us, and he won't be at Barca either. But Barca needs a good backup CF, and Paca Alcacer isn't good enough. Laca would be an improvement, and he'd get to play alongside his best friend Griezmann. Playing for Barca and forming a relationship on the field with Griezmann should raise his profile in the national team too.

Dembele would be a guaranteed starter for us and he'd be reunited with PEA. This would be a no-brainer for him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom