• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Team performance

Are we a better team than at this point last season?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• same

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stim

Yes because we have beat top teams and shown a good defensive discipline, with some of last seasons attacking highlights. We haven't lost against the big boys, so we are doing well considering we didn't do good against the top teams last season. That is what cost us the championship. Now we have those harder games out the way we can try and get back to our attacking best.

thegame24

Established Member
better this year in defence, however, i think we still had the same points as we had last year but harder games this year so i say we are better so far. i think this was around the time we lost 4 on the trot :( wengers birthday is a jinx we keep losing!

thierrys_girl

Established Member
i think that we are doing very well in the premiership this season as we have played 4 of the best teams in England 3 of those have ended with wins and just 1 in a draw.

Not so sure about the champions league though

Defence is much BETTER

uriazu23

Defence is much better because Wenger is playing more Tacticly, Almost every player goes to Defence, and till now its going fantastic.

sabret00the

Established Member
uriazu23 said:
Defence is much better because Wenger is playing more Tacticly, Almost every player goes to Defence, and till now its going fantastic.
you're taking the piss right?

raphael_as

I see there being a couple of ways to answer this question - the first is 'is our squad better this year then last': the answer to that (IMO) is yes. We lost Vieira and a couple of players who either hadn't broken through or hadn't made an impact (Bentley being the obvious example), but have gained Hleb, Diaby, Adebayor (who are all getting playing time) as well as Walcott, Song and I'm sure a couple of others I have forgotten.

The other way is 'are we better on the pitch': This one is tougher to answer - I think that until a month ago no one would have said that we were, injuries and poor form pretty much killed our season by the end of January. And considering that last season also included some fantastic football (until we fell apart post-ManU loss) we were just not playing football as well or as entertainingly as we can - getting harassed by teams who are far below us in ability and not scoring goals. About the only player I felt was consistantly performing was Mad Jens.

Since then (a week or two before the Real Madrid CL 1st leg I think) things have turned around and how! We finally found a replacement for Cole who isn't horrible in the position (and in fact I think is actually turning out to be good (perhaps not great, but certainly better then just OK), our right back gives us pretty much everything that Cole does on the left, and when he makes mistakes Toure has been impeccable in covering for him, and Toure's partnership with Senderos seems to (at last) be coming back to the level it was at the end of last season where they both play to each other strengths and cover each others weaknesses. Lehmann has also continued to be excellent, even though his greatest problem in the last few games has probably been boredom.

Our midfield also seems to have found that little bit of something - I don't need to say anything more about Cesc, but Bert seems to be doing his invisible wall thing again with some gusto, Hleb is showing some of his undoubted ability, and Reyes is also showing some good things.

Coupled with a revival in both Pires and Henry, and the immense team spirit that seems to be around at the moment, and the fact that Henry seems to be finding his feet as capatin, IMO we are close to playing the sort of 'champagne' football that we played during the late '03 - early '05 period.

So are we a better team on the pitch now then we were at this stage last season. Undoubtably Yes.

Spike

Established Member
uriazu23 said:

Why did you bump this old thread?

By the way, anyone know what happened to henry's girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom