<

The 2015/16 Transfer Window: A Review

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Rex Banter, Oct 20, 2020.

?

How would you rate the 2015/16 transfer window (out of 5)?

1. 0

83.3%
  2. 1

11.1%
  3. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 4

5.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

Wish Arsenal fans would shut up about Gnabry. He was never impressive when he was with us and once he had that great Olympics and started finding form he left to Werder on some dodgy deal that was really for Bayern, no way he was choosing us over Bayern.

Macho likes this.
  2. El Duderino

El Duderino 99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One Trusted

Is there any other way to vote other than it being zero?

Even without hindsight we knew that signing no outfield players, specially another striker and midfielder, would be the death of us, lo an behold it was.

We had the title in our hands multiple times and still dropped it. This was probably Wenger's biggest failure as a manager, despite any attenuating circumstances there may be for the lack of signings.

3. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

Lucas Perez looked okay whenever we used him. Not amazing at anything but not terrible either. Would've scored more goals had he got more minutes.

4. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Shame is a dish best served cold Trusted

He scored fairly early on when he was a first teamer here and looked a threat whenever he played. But when he was with the academy/U21's he was highly rated, biggest talent since Cesc they were calling him. He had obvious ability and we let him go- that's the biggest gripe. Especially when you consider other players we've given more of a chance to.

I doubt many saw him going onto become what he is now but the fact is he wasn't given enough of an opportunity, although he did struggle a bit with injuries. There's a few like him tbf. Reine-Adelaide, Benaccer, even someone like Josh DaSilva.

5. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

Do we really have a revisit thread of the “”No Outfield Signings” / LCFC bottle job season’s transfer dealings while also having another thread by @Makingtrax banging on about squad cost sitting atop Arsenal Talk right now?

Man 2020 just keeps finding new ways to disappoint you.

6. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

This is sh!t stirring at the very highest level. You've just let the flood gates open to all that Wenger hate that was slowly settling down.

'The only team in the whole universe not to sign an outfield player'
    'Relying on injury prone players, even the back up players were injury prone' ffs'
    'Finished behind Leicester ffs, let that sink in'

Bottling here, bottling there, bottling everywhere . . Lol.

7. Makingtrax

Totally agree.

Otherwise I thought your comment on the 20/21 table of each clubs spending on players I posted, was somewhat disrespectful.

8. lamby22

lamby22 It's Not Lupus

Was going to give it a 1/10 but I hadn't realised we paid 11.25m for the Egyptian Pirlo so I docked a point.

Can't believe how fresh in the memory some of those games are. I would have made Coquelin walk back to the Emirates after his red card in that game.

9. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

Tbf, the OP is factual and to some extent highlights not just Wenger's failings but those he trusted and the owner. An owner like Usmanov for example would have looked in depth at the club and taken action-a bit like Kroenke is now that the law of diminishing returns is really biting lol. The worst thing about 2015 was that it gave Gazidis all the authority he needed to interfere in on field matters and restructure the club. It's that alone that led to the emergence of Raul that has set us back more than the missed opportunity to develop some of the youth and sell others who did nothing thereafter. I wanted Jack and Theo gone long before they left. Same for RvP but I know the fans would have rioted if we had. There was also a massive appetite to spend big as the we kept being told that we could. The trophyless years and near misses put the pressure on and it was unbearable. Id change so much if I could time travel but despite all our past mistakes and a lot of bad luck tbf, its the waste of money post Wenger thats more damaging

Rex Banter likes this.
  10. Makingtrax

Well considered post. I haven't read Wenger's book yet but I'm hoping there's some info about Gazidi's role in the club and as you say, his interference in on field matters.

If I could time travel I'd have told Wenger to move on after the invincible's year. Being tied by a bank to the club that is about to tighten it's belt considerably in order to loan money for a stadium is just a recipe for a downhill ride.

What is staggering, is that he kept top 4 from 2005 to 2015 after that, without a single break. Yet fans still want to pick apart where he 'went wrong' and why he didn't go further in the Champions League. It's almost laughable.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  11. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford Trusted

Elite post Rex mate. Honestly, are you off work or something or did you do this over a few days?:lol: Either way, hats off.

Yeah sad times, probably the window that signified the end of us as a CL team and the end of Wenger. The CF was the obvious one that could have lead us to the title but maybe even a better CM partner for Cazorla could have helped. The team was literally so close.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    American_Gooner likes this.
  12. Trilly

:rofl::rofl:

13. Trilly

How have you got onlyfans as the only bookmark on your bookmarks bar. Legend. :rofl:

14. Manberg

Manberg Predator

:lol: Whoops

Red London and Trilly like this.
  15. Trilly

It’s fine, onlyfans is just a platform for content creators to share exclusive content.

Macho and Red London like this.
  16. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

Im currently shielding for a family member so at the moment apart from some exercise my weekends are pretty empty.

Knocked it up then and posted after work this week :lol:

Trilly, Riou and bingobob like this.
  17. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

That Coq red card was the turning point for my boy, never really recovered :(

Remember Dier just dragging back one of our players while already booked, ref didn't even consider sending him off...hate football :lol:

18. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character Trusted

Nooooooo. It's like stepping into the twilight zone. The painful, painful memories.

Red London and Rex Banter like this.
  19. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

It was just not needed at all. I can never understand the thought process.

You’re leading, on a yellow and Kane is taking it to the corner flag and you’ve got plenty of cover behind you.

20. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

It's like Friends on E4, Arsenalmania reruns. We even have a 'Best player of the Emirates era' thread.

Macho likes this.