• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Anti-Wish List

J the Red

asajoseph said:
I say that because Henry has never played to his best while up front with an out and out striker. If you look at all the different players he's played up front with at Arsenal, the two he's done best with are Bergkamp and Kanu who both operated in that deeper role. This allowed Henry to have extra space and an almost free reign at the head of the team.

This may be true, but the sample size is FAR too small to make a meaningful statistic out of it. In fact, the only 'out and out' striker Henry's ever been paired with has been Jeffers, and that didn't work becaue Jeffers was crap, not because the tactic didn't work.

I hear what our saying, but Jeffers goals to games was quite good. But yes I do agree he was and is crap.
But also people forget that Wiltord was brought in as an 'out and out striker' and in his first season the pair although got goals, they didnt play aswell as was hoped. It was only when Wiltord moved to the wing we got the maximum from him and Henry on the pitch together. But granted, again that maybe down to Wiltord not being a good enough striker as much as my 'theory'.
I still dont think Henry and Owen would work, though I'd love to be proven wrong and no doubt Owen would get 20+ goals in an Arsenal side, year in year out but would we then lose a bit of Henry by playing them together? thats the all important question Arsène faces if he goes for him.

No im not a regular watcher of the Bundesliga, but even still Hleb is not the type of signing who will make other clubs s**t themselves and think bloody hell they've brought a real superstar here.

Given that he took the Mancs apart, I imagine they'd be pretty nervous. But is we're looking for scare-value, why not just bring back Keown? On a serious note, you don't ACTUALLY expect Wenger to be remotely interested in signing the player you describe above do you?

To be honest I dont expect a block buster signing of mamouth proportions, because we have never really done that. But instead of signing potential players for big fees (Jeffers & Reyes) or other clubs unwanted players (Henry & Bergkamp). It would be nice to see us beat off other clubs to make a big signing to freshen things up.
But you must admit if we brought in a big name relative to the money we have, it would lift the whole club and get everyone really excited that we can win back the title and make a strong fist of the CL.

But this summer Im, and so are many other gooners, looking for a big name to come in, someone who can make others sit up and think hey Arsenal mean business next season.

Hleb, for me, is a 'big name' because he's a proven young 20's player with CL experience, and immense talent. If you want a big name just to satisfy the FM2005 kids, I honestly think you'll be EXTREMELY disappointed this summer. Wenger, rightly, pays no attention to names, but rather to talent. Indeed, how far did Juan Veron's reputation get him?

I agree we dont need a big name just for the sake of it, and it has to be the right player and right price. Im not one of these people who think FM is real life and starting saying we should sign him or him for this much or tha much, though Hleb is bloody good on FM05 :wink:. But as I say a big name really does freshen things up.
Your right rep doesnt mean much, but we need at least 1 proven player and not more bargain buys or potential young kids, though dont get me wrong im not criticising this policy at all, as its served us phenominally well in the past.
Hleb may well be a class act who can do really well and if we sign him then I trust AW will have got it right. But IMO we do need a player with the stature of the Bergkamp or Campbell signings when everyone was like wow what a buy...and to me Hleb doesnt fall into that category despite how well he may be doing for Stuttgart.

asajoseph

Established Member
But also people forget that Wiltord was brought in as an 'out and out striker' and in his first season the pair although got goals, they didnt play aswell as was hoped. It was only when Wiltord moved to the wing we got the maximum from him and Henry on the pitch together. But granted, again that maybe down to Wiltord not being a good enough striker as much as my 'theory'

I think that one of the reasons Wiltord just didn't work as a striker was largely because his positional sense wasn't that good. I'm not just talking about not getting into the right positions to score a goal, but the number of times the guy got caught offside was just unbelievable. I don't think he was onside for the majority of his arsenal career! ;) :lol:

I'm sure I've said this before, although I can't remember if it was in this thread, but watching Arsenal these days i really feel that not only do we need a player to play high and through the middle (not because we play badly, but because I feel it would just add an extra dimension), but also to be the guy that Henry can pass to when he gets to the far left corner of the penalty area. Ljungberg does that job quite well coming through from midfield, but all too often the ball doesn't find feet, because there just aren't enough Arsenal players there.

Owen, for me, is a player who could give us that extra dimension, that Plan B, and finish off those chances, without reverting to the route 1 football that some think we need to start playing. He might not be the best striker we could sign, but we've been linked with him, and I'd be positive if he came in.

To be honest I dont expect a block buster signing of mamouth proportions, because we have never really done that. But instead of signing potential players for big fees (Jeffers & Reyes) or other clubs unwanted players (Henry & Bergkamp). It would be nice to see us beat off other clubs to make a big signing to freshen things up.

Sure... I think that man could be Hleb. Others don't, and it matters more what Arsène thinks than I do. But you can bet your arse, if Arsenal offer for him, Stuttgart will try to get as much out of him as possible.

But you must admit if we brought in a big name relative to the money we have, it would lift the whole club and get everyone really excited that we can win back the title and make a strong fist of the CL.

Sure. As long as they do the same business on the pitch as their reputation calls for. A good reputation doesn't guarantee a good performance, of course.

But IMO we do need a player with the stature of the Bergkamp or Campbell signings when everyone was like wow what a buy...and to me Hleb doesnt fall into that category despite how well he may be doing for Stuttgart.

Ah... I know what you mean - it would be nice, and it would send a message out about the club. But I don't think it's necessary, if the right palyer isn't available we certainly shouldn't break the bank for one.

Asa

J the Red

asajoseph said:
But also people forget that Wiltord was brought in as an 'out and out striker' and in his first season the pair although got goals, they didnt play aswell as was hoped. It was only when Wiltord moved to the wing we got the maximum from him and Henry on the pitch together. But granted, again that maybe down to Wiltord not being a good enough striker as much as my 'theory'

I think that one of the reasons Wiltord just didn't work as a striker was largely because his positional sense wasn't that good. I'm not just talking about not getting into the right positions to score a goal, but the number of times the guy got caught offside was just unbelievable. I don't think he was onside for the majority of his arsenal career! ;) :lol:

I'm sure I've said this before, although I can't remember if it was in this thread, but watching Arsenal these days i really feel that not only do we need a player to play high and through the middle (not because we play badly, but because I feel it would just add an extra dimension), but also to be the guy that Henry can pass to when he gets to the far left corner of the penalty area. Ljungberg does that job quite well coming through from midfield, but all too often the ball doesn't find feet, because there just aren't enough Arsenal players there.

Owen, for me, is a player who could give us that extra dimension, that Plan B, and finish off those chances, without reverting to the route 1 football that some think we need to start playing. He might not be the best striker we could sign, but we've been linked with him, and I'd be positive if he came in.

The famous plan B, :lol;. Yes I agree we do need one! and a central striker is the order of the day, but In my ideal we'd go for a physical box player like Trezeguet who Henry can play off. I said it in the 'wish list' thread that Chavski have hugely benefitted from a player like Drogba who can win all the direct stuff, even though he hasnt scored much for his value he has proved a good outlet wins things havent gone too well, especially in Europe.
I feel we need something like this, not to go route 1 all the time, but sometimes a bit of that is needed to mix things up when other avenues are blocked off especially, as I say, in Europe and away from home.

But IMO we do need a player with the stature of the Bergkamp or Campbell signings when everyone was like wow what a buy...and to me Hleb doesnt fall into that category despite how well he may be doing for Stuttgart.

Ah... I know what you mean - it would be nice, and it would send a message out about the club. But I don't think it's necessary, if the right palyer isn't available we certainly shouldn't break the bank for one.

100% agree with that last comment, as nice as a big name buy would be if the right player isnt available at the right price then we should stay well away. Its not necessity at all, it would just be a nice boost for the club.

J the Red

asajoseph said:

The famous plan B, :lol;. Yes I agree we do need one! and a central striker is the order of the day, but In my ideal we'd go for a physical box player like Trezeguet who Henry can play off. I said it in the 'wish list' thread that Chavski have hugely benefitted from a player like Drogba who can win all the direct stuff, even though he hasnt scored much for his value he has proved a good outlet wins things havent gone too well, especially in Europe.
I feel we need something like this, not to go route 1 all the time, but sometimes a bit of that is needed to mix things up when other avenues are blocked off especially, as I say, in Europe and away from home.

100% agree with that last comment, as nice as a big name buy would be if the right player isnt available at the right price then we should stay well away. Its not necessity at all, it would just be a nice boost for the club.

asajoseph

Established Member

Ah, now that's another way of going about it, which I can't disagree with at all. I certainly think it would be another variation on the same theme (i.e. something through the middle). If we could sign such a player, I would applaud it as well. Michael Owen certainly isn't the ONLY direction we could take in the summer. He'd add certain qualities, which I think would be beneficial to Arsenal, and I think he'd do well here. But there are another of different options Arsène COULD take. It's up to him to decide which is the most effective, although I have to say, if he plumped for Owen I can understand what he would provide, and think it would be effective. If he goes in another direction that proves to be effective, that's all fair enough in my game. I'm merely commenting on the Michael Owen rumours.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Don't sign Sporting's Ricardo. He is no better than Almunia. The Portuguese hero in EURO 2004 once is linked to Arsenal. However, after watching his games in UEFA Cup agsint Boro, Newcastle, and lastely CSKA Moscow, I am afraid that this keeper is not good enough to compete for title in PL.

A

Anonymous

Ricardinho, whoever this geezer is!!!

Any unknown African raw talent

IBL

Established Member
VavaGoon said:

Toure was pretty much unknown before he came to us. Eboue is still unknown to nearly all except Gooners but looks very promising. I'm sure Wenger would not take any risks signing unknown African players who he thought would not make the cut.

And for me PLEASE no Beckham, too much buggage and cant stand his skinny b*tch of a wife. Also I'm really really glad we never signed that waste-of-space Bowyer.

A

Anonymous

Ice Berg legend said:
VavaGoon said:

Toure was pretty much unknown before he came to us. Eboue is still unknown to nearly all except Gooners but looks very promising. I'm sure Wenger would not take any risks signing unknown African players who he thought would not make the cut.
Yes but no more PLEASE atleast for the time being.

A

Anonymous

Let's add: any Atheletic or Real Madrid player, except Helguera.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom