• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Arsenal Off the Pitch and Bantz Thread

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Oh lord.... Please tell me you were just too young to have followed Vieiras career. There were levels, many levels, between the two at the age of 21-- the age Vieira was when he joined Arsenal. The team improved by 50% the moment he stepped on the pitch. From day one! At 21. No grace period of 100 games needed.

Xhaka, now 25, isn't even able to establish himself in THIS midfield after nearly a whole season.

This has to stop.

Edit: I forgot this was the banter thread! ;)

It's Xhaka's FIRST season here. Vieira wasnt THAT good yet at 24. He was very, very good, but not yet what we remember him for. No one denied how good he was, even then, bit let's not overreact on Xhaka and make him ThAT bad. Instead, let's be realistic and take other stufd in consideration, like the fact it's still his first season, team is in a bit of mess, especially in the midfield. Who did Patrick have around him? Who does Xhaka have?
I just dont like when people praise or downgrade players without taking the whole picture.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
It's Xhaka's FIRST season here. Vieira wasnt THAT good yet at 24. He was very, very good, but not yet what we remember him for. No one denied how good he was, even then, bit let's not overreact on Xhaka and make him ThAT bad. Instead, let's be realistic and take other stufd in consideration, like the fact it's still his first season, team is in a bit of mess, especially in the midfield. Who did Patrick have around him? Who does Xhaka have?
I just dont like when people praise or downgrade players without taking the whole picture.

"wasn't THAT good yet at 24", err he was mate.

I do understand your point about Xhaka but the Vieira comparison isn't a good one.
I was at his debut against Sheffield Wednesday, he came on as a sub and he was THAT good from minute one, completely changed the game.
I've never seen anything like it, they had experienced and seasoned Premiership players and this kid just walked on and took control of the game like I couldn't really remember seeing before.
He never stopped being THAT good either.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
"wasn't THAT good yet at 24", err he was mate.

I do understand your point about Xhaka but the Vieira comparison isn't a good one.
I was at his debut against Sheffield Wednesday, he came on as a sub and he was THAT good from minute one, completely changed the game.
I've never seen anything like it, they had experienced and seasoned Premiership players and this kid just walked on and took control of the game like I couldn't really remember seeing before.
He never stopped being THAT good either.

No one ever said he wasnt better then Xhaka at that age, or anyrhing like that. But at the same time, even at 24, Vieira still didnt reach the level we remember him for as he, for example, missed god knows how many games duo to all the suspensions he had back then. Wasnt it the first game of the season where he immediately got banned, and then once again shortly after he got back. He had issues, and he adjusted later on, and now we remmeber him as one of the greatest ever, myself included. IF Granit comes even close to his level we'll get a gem there, no doubt. My whole point was, look at the whole picture. Xhaka is very talented, and has some unique skills. He very well showed in his career so far that he could become top class. Would it be more obvious, even now, if he had better set up around him, better players, more experienced players at high level around him? Sure he would. This aint no tennis, its football, 11 vs 11, with 100 different tactics you could use, based on those 11 (18-25 actually) players you have. Vieira walked into a team perfectly set up for him. It made it easier and quicker to show his full potential, even tho he still had to work on himself after that to become what he became, what no one is denying.

Apologizes for off topic, wont go on no more. Once games are back on, I dont get dragged into forum that much :)

burnsjed

Established Member
No one ever said he wasnt better then Xhaka at that age, or anyrhing like that. But at the same time, even at 24, Vieira still didnt reach the level we remember him for as he, for example, missed god knows how many games duo to all the suspensions he had back then. Wasnt it the first game of the season where he immediately got banned, and then once again shortly after he got back. He had issues, and he adjusted later on, and now we remmeber him as one of the greatest ever, myself included. IF Granit comes even close to his level we'll get a gem there, no doubt. My whole point was, look at the whole picture. Xhaka is very talented, and has some unique skills. He very well showed in his career so far that he could become top class. Would it be more obvious, even now, if he had better set up around him, better players, more experienced players at high level around him? Sure he would. This aint no tennis, its football, 11 vs 11, with 100 different tactics you could use, based on those 11 (18-25 actually) players you have. Vieira walked into a team perfectly set up for him. It made it easier and quicker to show his full potential, even tho he still had to work on himself after that to become what he became, what no one is denying.

Apologizes for off topic, wont go on no more. Once games are back on, I dont get dragged into forum that much :)

It seems to me from reading all your posts, that you are mixing up Pat's playing ability and disciplinary record.
I don't think he ever lost that 'edge' to his game, but he was clearly playing at a higher level at 24, he was already almost half way though his Arsenal career.
Personally, I think he was a better player at 24 than when he left us, but that is just my opinion.
Xhaka is still in his first season at the club, so it is way too early to judge him yet, but at the same age Vieira was in the top few midfielders in the World, irrespective of the cards he picked up along the way.
We will do very well if Xhaka ever gets close to the levels Vieira performed at, but as an Arsenal fan I certainly hope he can.

_reed_

aVqiN0k.jpg

BF2hjDM.jpg

More humiliations = more rants = more views = more YouTube money
#WengerIn

Latest posts+

Top Bottom