• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Compare the big 6: who has had the best transfer window?

Which TWO clubs have had the best window so far?

• Total voters

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
I would say now it is Liverpool who are in the best position with the addition of Jota and Thiago. I mean I like Chelsea's additions too but the players they signed I think will need a season to adapt. I believe Chelsea will be a threat next season to the top 2.

Clerais

I would say now it is Liverpool who are in the best position with the addition of Jota and Thiago. I mean I like Chelsea's additions too but the players they signed I think will need a season to adapt. I believe Chelsea will be a threat next season to the top 2.

Thiago is THE catch of this transfer window. At an insanely low price as well..

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
But Chelsea's net spend over the last two windows, which is what you need to take into context is now around £50-60M.
You can't take two windows, it takes years to build a squad. Their squad cost last year was higher than ours according to CIES figures, Chelsea £510m, Arsenal £453m.

Using @say yes 's figures. That'll put them at £700m+, closer to Liverpool and United but still short of City. We're still around £450m for investment in players . . a tier below the top 4.

Massive gap opening up.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
You can't take two windows, it takes years to build a squad. Their squad cost last year was higher than ours according to CIES figures, Chelsea £510m, Arsenal £453m.

Using @say yes 's figures. That'll put them at £700m+, closer to Liverpool and United but still short of City. We're still around £450m for investment in players . . a tier below the top 4.

Massive gap opening up.

My point is Chelsea were not able to buy players last summer, so they've stuffed two windows into one due to having a lot of cash from Hazard/Morata sales.

I think squad cost should be looked at differently. You should look at the squad cost but look at what the manager currently there has spent. Chelsea spent like £40M on Bakayoko but he shouldn't be included in their squad cost.

In 18/19 Liverpool had a squad cost of £550M, Man City £765M and United £608M. So its not a great metric to be honest.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

In 18/19 Liverpool had a squad cost of £550M, Man City £765M and United £608M. So its not a great metric to be honest.
What? It's a superb metric.

Squad Cost, 18/19 Finish
City 1,1
United 2,6
Liverpool 3, 2
Arsenal 5,5
Sp**s 6,4
Everton 7,8
Leicester 8,9

There's only one team 4 places out. Where it breaks down is after the big spenders, many of the other teams are bunched closely within £100m spread which doesn't make much difference.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Squad Cost, 18/19 Finish
City 1,1
United 2,6
Liverpool 3, 2
Arsenal 5,5
Sp**s 6,4
Everton 7,8
Leicester 8,9

There's only one team 4 places out. Where it breaks down is after the big spenders, many of the other teams are bunched closely within £100m spread which doesn't make much difference.

I mean the "big 6" in England are always around where they are due to being able to spend more money and give bigger wages, that's obvious. But no matter what the squad cost within those big 6 teams they can finish anywhere in the top 6.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I mean the "big 6" in England are always around where they are due to being able to spend more money and give bigger wages, that's obvious. But no matter what the squad cost within those big 6 teams they can finish anywhere in the top 6.
That's not the case at all. The top 6 have the biggest spread of spending.

Look at City's finish since their massive injection of capital in the last 9 years 1,2,1,2,4,3,1,1,2. That's an average of 1.8

Look at Arsenal's finish spending 5th over that time more than 1/2 City's squad cost. 3,4,4,3,2,5,6,5,8. That's an average of 4.4

Even if Arsenal were to challenge for the title one year, it would be a one off. Most fans don't understand the role of money and odds in football. This has nothing to do with managers, it's about the quality of players money can buy.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
That's not the case at all. The top 6 have the biggest spread of spending.

Look at City's finish since their massive injection of capital in the last 9 years 1,2,1,2,4,3,1,1,2. That's an average of 1.8

Look at Arsenal's finish spending 5th over that time more than 1/2 City's squad cost. 3,4,4,3,2,5,6,5,8. That's an average of 4.4

Even if Arsenal were to challenge for the title one year, it would be a one off. Most fans don't understand the role of money and odds in football. This has nothing to do with managers, it's about the quality of players money can buy.

But then look at Liverpool over the past 4 years whilst their net spend has been miniscule.

Money makes a difference, obviously. But the manager makes a huge difference if they're at a top top level.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Nothing new obviously, but could be one of the reasons why we're so far behind our rivals in spending this summer. Really need fans back in the stadium.

... ugh, a return to the CL would be nice too. Seeing Sp**s have a higher revenue than us is really annoying.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But then look at Liverpool over the past 4 years whilst their net spend has been miniscule.

Money makes a difference, obviously. But the manager makes a huge difference if they're at a top top level.
Their net spend only looks low because they sold players for large amounts. Liverpool have actually climbed to have the third biggest squad cost from 4th. That injection of capital of £156m in 2017/18 and £163m in 2018/19 made a massive difference to their odds.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Thiago is the best CM in the world with De Bruyne I have no idea how Liverpool pulled that off.

Thiago had to leave Bayern and wanted to go to Liverpool (most likely because of their recent form/Klopp).

Simple as that and something that one just has to accept.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
We're clearly saving up to make a run at both Mbappe and Sancho next summer.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Squad Cost, 18/19 Finish
City 1,1
United 2,6
Liverpool 3, 2
Arsenal 5,5
Sp**s 6,4
Everton 7,8
Leicester 8,9

But you told me that squad cost wasn’t an effective metric after it showed Pochettino outperformed his squad cost by four places in all but his first season?

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

We really need both Partey and Aouar. Top 4 is so important now more than ever with money being tighter. Back Arteta and get us back to where we belong. We can't keep finishing behind the likes of Leicester and Sp**s, so embarrassing.

Top Bottom