• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The captaincy

Pop Tart

Established Member
This has been a issue for years and it is still a problem for us. Auba is not vocal enough to be a captain. He works hard but I expect that anyway .

let auba be good at what he does which is bang the goals in(down the middle) hopefully and have someone else handle the role

Who would you like to see as captain?

I would like to see maybe Tierney or luiz.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

The captaincy hasn’t had any relevance in years at Arsenal but I agree, I don’t think Auba is captain material.

We’ve had some banter captains over the years with the likes of William Gallas and Koscielny crying plus Xhaka getting booed off the pitch.

:facepalm:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
He doesn't need to be super vocal to be a captain. A football club that recruits properly and demands accountability should have 11 men on the pitch capable of leading themselves.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
When his English improves, Gabriel.

We haven't taken the captaincy seriously for years. I watched a video a week or so ago of Roy Keane talking about when Kieran Gibbs ended a game as captain.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Oh god we lost a few games and we talk about captaincy again. Let’s start with the manager playing his best players in correct positions and kick out lazy bums like Laca that add nothing.

Pop Tart

Established Member
Oh god we lost a few games and we talk about captaincy again. Let’s start with the manager playing his best players in correct positions and kick out lazy bums like Laca that add nothing.
Not about a few games this season, it is the bigger picture of the last few years. I never said it was the main problem for us but it is a problem. People under rating the importance of a good captain, goes hand in hand with major success

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Once you give the armband to William Gallas, you know you're gonna have a bad time.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Once you give the armband to William Gallas, you know you're gonna have a bad time.

I just remembered we handed Nasri the armband at a point.

4566633_450_450_81393_0_fill_0_707d903ca73d85dec05c007563862095.jpg

:lol:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
He doesn't need to be super vocal to be a captain. A football club that recruits properly and demands accountability should have 11 men on the pitch capable of leading themselves.

That was Wengers approach, it resulted in the club being fined for not fielding a Captain in the 2nd half of a PL game.

Captain is a vital role in any team, yes you need 11 men capable thinking and making decisions for themselves but you need a Captain on the pitch to lead the team. They are the one player who can challenge the ref, they can inspire a team that's flagging, they have many roles to play. For me a Captain has to be a defender of a midfielder, never a striker! Currently the closest we have to a Captain is Luiz but he's not a regular starter now.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Auba is fine as captain, his only weakness is that the striker position is traditionally fragile when it comes to form, hence why CB's and CM's tend to be "better" captains.
They are more resistant to rotation and harsh dips in performance. You don't have to be the best player in the team as long as you point and shout a lot.

Auba is one of the better captains we've had, I prefer him to Henry, Gallas, Rvp and Cesc who were just our best or had the best reputation at the time.

Auba is a great professional, leads by example, helps our younger players and he has offered moments of inspiration many times. Which is more that can be said about some in the past.

After he moves on, there are plenty of natural candidates, Tierney, Holding, Partey etc.

After a crushing lost we're just finding faults where there are none really.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
So us playing badly for majority of the season is due to not having a proper captain? :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I liked having Henry as captain, was like having Michael Jordan as captain just yelling at everyone :lol:

Seriously though, although Thierry was no Adams or Vieira, he is our most famous ever player and had that respect across the football world...he wasn't a natural leader of men, but it was a bit like when Raul was captain of Real, they both just understood their clubs perfectly...I thought he was a good choice in 2005 for it personally.

As I have said before, Gallas getting it over Gilberto was one of the weirdest things Arsène has done.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
You don't need captain to shout at 11 professionals who earn millions they aren't kids.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I liked having Henry as captain, was like having Michael Jordan as captain just yelling at everyone :lol:
I will never forget the image of him pounding the grass in frustration when our young, shy players at the time weren't quite passing the way he wanted and he only had Cesc. Terrible, stroppy, moany captain.

I was one of the few that was definitely ready for him to go at the time as it was for the best, it was Cesc's team not his and it was natural progression.

There were other invincibles instead I wished we hanged onto for just a bit longer though. Had they stayed I am sure he would have had a better temperament but instead he found himself craving a CL medal but surrounded by feeble kids + a moist AF hleb.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
There type of captain that they more influence off the pitch for example Luiz who everyone love and look into specially younger players if Luiz was more younger I'd made him captain at the moment we don't have captain worthy auba is nice guy.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

As much as so many people dislike this guy & want him gone, Bellerin is one of our longest serving players, I wouldn't say no to him. I reckon Gabriel when he gets more experienced aswell wouldn't be a bad choice. We should keep Auba for now though despite what I said on Bellerin. Bellerin will always be one of my favourites awell even if he's not in the best of form, always been a pretty solid & consistent player for us aswell imo.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom