• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The captaincy

GDeep™

League is very weak
Said this months ago :lol:

How can you have Auba as captain? Guy is a clown. Think he was given it because he’s the only guy guaranteed to start no matter what. Other options would’ve been Bellerin or Leno.

So it is what it is.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Said this months ago :lol:

How can you have Auba as captain? Guy is a clown. Think he was given it because he’s the only guy guaranteed to start no matter what. Other options would’ve been Bellerin or Leno.

So it is what it is.
What makes Auba a clown out of interest?

GDeep™

League is very weak
What makes Auba a clown out of interest?
Clown is strong. But like EVERYONE else in the team I don’t think he has the stature for an Arsenal captain. He’s a great goal scorer, the best actually, fun character, always laughing and joking, which is great but Arsenal captain?

He’s the best of a bad bunch though, I wouldn’t want Bellerin or Leno as captains - so he would be my captain too.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You also question the role of a modern captain. It’s not like cricket, where they control and dictate a lot of on field tactics. It’s not even like the old days where they had certain power to set the tone on and off the field.

With these modern managers you feel they are in total control of everything, you can’t go for a piss without Arteta, Bielsa, Pep etc writing a report about it.

Guys like Arteta and Pep even stand on the side and tell you where to pass.

That said, Kompany was great for Pep. But guys like that are pretty rare.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Clown was strong even if you don’t like or rate the guy but everyone has been on one since Sunday. You have some valid points though for sure once you explained.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Look at our rivals, other than Kane I don’t know who the captains are.

Henderson is a Liverpool captain, no? Today he’s considered a great character and footballer, a few years ago even Liverpool fans wanted him out.

So I guess when your team wins you’re a good captain and when your team loses people highlight. My point being I don’t think captaincy is the issue. Also, we all want another Adams or Vieira but I don’t think footballers are made like that either.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Clown was strong even if you don’t like or rate the guy but everyone has been on one since Sunday. You have some valid points though for sure once you explained.
Yeah clown was dodgy territory tbh, when you think about.

He’s the best option anyway. Wouldn’t want Bellerin or Leno to be captains ffs.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I just remembered we handed Nasri the armband at a point.

4566633_450_450_81393_0_fill_0_707d903ca73d85dec05c007563862095.jpg

:lol:
What the ****, why did he have it over Sagna?

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
We have some definite captain material amongst the younger lot. Gabriel, Tierney, Martinelli, Saliba I see being good captains if they push on here.

People are saying who wears the captains armband isn’t important and I agree with that to an extent, but at the end of the day if your captain isn’t captain material then it probably means you don’t have enough strong characters on the pitch, otherwise you wouldn’t be complaining about the captain ;).

In my opinion we were in a much much worse position in that regard two seasons ago. Gabriel and Partey will eventually bring some character to the side, and KT is just an absolute model professional- he would be my pick for captain as I love his traditional and passionate approach to football. I feel like if you gave him some power as captain he will strive to get a lot out of his teammates. Him and Gabriel can be our Henderson and VVD in terms of leadership and what they bring to the table.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Give it to Partey, Gabriel or even Elneny ffs.

Someone who’s a hard worker but doesn’t have to be your best player. Chelsea already given the armband to Thiago Silva.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we had a captaincy clause in Auba’s contract tbh.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
In regards to Aubameyang, him being the captain says more about the quality in our squad more than anything. He has been head and shoulders above everyone else in the squad in terms of importance. It kind of put us in the position to give the armband to him even though there are players with much better leadership qualities (Luiz, Xhaka, maybe even Bellerin) but who are average to poor players.

I get that the captains armband is based on your leadership ability but our players like that make glaring mistakes on a regular basis. That’s why Gabriel and Partey are good candidates, they are more likely to be serious and vocal on the field while Aubameyang runs around smiling and avoiding confrontation. If you ignored ability he is probably the worst player in the squad character wise to give the captaincy. I’m not questioning his attitude or commitment but he’s not exactly the type of guy to expect a certain standard from his fellow teammates is he ? He doesn’t appeal to the referee, he doesn’t back his players in tussles, and he doesn’t ever look genuinely angry.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

The Auba criticism I’ve seen of late is ridiculous. I’m seeing all over the forum he’s a bad footballer now his smiley persona is being used against him bizarrely.

Let’s not rewrite history, Xhaka was captain and he completely f*cked it. Auba got the armband by default and even though it was by accident he’s done a decent enough job in a difficult phase for us.

Ask the young players in our squad what they think of him and how many of them talk about his mentorship. Look at the off the pitch commitments and promo the guy does for the club as well.

Not every captain has to be a stone faced point merchant - there’s several ways to lead and like I pointed out in earlier posts, he’s put many of our previous captains to shame. Captaincy isn’t an issue at the club, plenty of leaders on the pitch (Luiz, Xhaka, etc).

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
The Auba criticism I’ve seen of late is ridiculous. I’m seeing all over the forum he’s a bad footballer now his smiley persona is being used against him bizarrely.

Let’s not rewrite history, Xhaka was captain and he completely f*cked it. Auba got the armband by default and even though it was by accident he’s done a decent enough job in a difficult phase for us.

Ask the young players in our squad what they think of him and how many of them talk about his mentorship. Look at the off the pitch commitments and promo the guy does for the club as well.

Not every captain has to be a stone faced point merchant - there’s several ways to lead and like I pointed out in earlier posts, he’s put many of our previous captains to shame. Captaincy isn’t an issue at the club, plenty of leaders on the pitch (Luiz, Xhaka, etc).
Arsenal fans have lived through the banter era, we have seen our captains leave a year after being given the armband or crying wearing it. Or ending up being Judas’ and joining our rivals. So in those terms Auba is a good and loyal captain.

But by the same token all these players without a backbone we have had in our squad over the years gave us some PTSD I guess. Something which resonates with me a lot is when I heard an ex player (can’t remember who and if he actually played with us) said that apparently it used to be like a spa being in our training ground and dressing room compared to others sides.

We have actually gathered more leaders in the last half decade than we had in the banter era, but a lot of the old fashioned ones (the type of leadership I really warm to) are disappointing players in terms of quality. I love a player like Zlatan, CR7 or MJ. They don’t have to be captain ffs but I love players who are on the top of their game but also absolutely demand and expect their teammates around them do whatever they possibly can. So Auba leads by example to an extent but he’s not the type of guy to do what those players (amongst others) do, no one is saying he is a bad player to have in the dressing room, he just shouldn’t be (and probably isn’t) the focal point of it.

Edit: btw I know those players I mentioned are one of a kind but I at least like seeing shades of it. Alexis was kind of like that but he did it in a bit of a whiney *****y way.

GDeep™

League is very weak
People will look at the side stuff when the team isn’t performing. The issue is the team, not the captain.

Pyromaniac

Tierney is captain material, not established enough yet though. His recent performances are worrying as well. Still believe he could be the one in the future.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Tierney is captain material, not established enough yet though. His recent performances are worrying as well. Still believe he could be the one in the future.
Partey too, Gabriel too etc. But Auba is here for a few years and the captaincy isn’t going anywhere else.

Nor should it. Captaincy is really not an issue.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
That was Wengers approach, it resulted in the club being fined for not fielding a Captain in the 2nd half of a PL game.

Captain is a vital role in any team, yes you need 11 men capable thinking and making decisions for themselves but you need a Captain on the pitch to lead the team. They are the one player who can challenge the ref, they can inspire a team that's flagging, they have many roles to play. For me a Captain has to be a defender of a midfielder, never a striker! Currently the closest we have to a Captain is Luiz but he's not a regular starter now.
Notice that you didn't actually argue the point I made but rather one you found easier to attack. Yawn.

Top Bottom