• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Cazorla Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaestroCesc

This season, Cazorla has got off pretty easy in terms of criticism and the scope hasn't really ever been focused on him. He's a fan favourite and was integral last season but this season it's becoming ever apparent he is really struggling for form.

His contributions over the season have been low especially when compared to the heights of last season and his impacts in games is pretty minimal. You could argue that he was struggling to find identity in the team earlier on when we had so many key midfielders in the side and also a lack of a good pre season due to the Confederations Cup hasn't helped but that can't excuse fully his performances. Against Everton, we were missing most of our big players and I thought it might be a time for him to step up and become the centre of the team however that didn't happen. Also he is one of many players in the side who come to the ball which seems to be a huge cause of our current attacking malaise.

His defensive side isn't great either, on Sunday he really struggled and gave Sagna little help. Yet he seems to get this free pass into the side independent on form. So with very big games coming up, do you feel he should be dropped to the bench or kept in just because he has that potential quality?

Iceman10

Established Member
Re: The Cazorla Conudrum

Until Özil comes back who do we have for CAM? Wilshere is out also who can play there, leaving Rosicky, and his performance at Everton was disappointing also. Next season with everyone possibly fit, maybe with a LW addition we can look at squad rotation of our midfield more and rotate in Cazorla for Özil for CAM, esp. when we have three matches a week.

Unfortunately LW is not suited to him, particularly in the PL, which has come as a bit of a surprise based on seeing him at Malaga, but it's a time and space thing. Press and close him down, and he looks unsure of himself, at the moment at least, which yet again is symptomatic of mobility and dynamism issues of players available as a whole right now. I would wait to see what happens when Ramsey is back to being a regular alongside him in the starting line up, as I have a hunch it will make a significant difference.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

He's a very talented player but not suited to the wing, and he won't get in ahead of Özil in his best position AM. He should be used as immediate backup for Özil and backup in extreme situations out wide in case we have a bit of an injury crisis like earlier on this season. I think he's a bit of a liability in the big games these days as well.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

play him on the right where he has the more solid Sagna behind him, he played there for years at Villareal. convinced him and Özil could link up in the right conditions. buy a quality winger to replace Podolski and have him and Theo wreaking havoc. should I throw Reus's name out again?!

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If we had a world class striker and Theo fit he'd be grand on the left. Still think he has a future slightly different if we alter our formation a bit, and play like a 4-1-2-1-2.....

Like a new DM deep, Ramsey and Cazorla slightly advanced and Özil behind like a top striker and Walcott with the full backs overlapping.

I'm convinced he's starter this season, as for "getting off" with criticism, he's still one of our most consistent players.... recently he's had nothing to aim at in terms of moving so his strengths have become somewhat nullified anyways. He was awesome back in December/January.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

No, he shouldn't be dropped.

His form has been more out than in this season, but unless you have something else of similar quality that is more of a guarantee to produce, you can't drop him. His place at AMF is cemented until Özil comes back, and I'm fine with that. He's a brilliant player capable of assistimg and scoring--we've lost too many to even contemplate willfully going without another.

Dropping him so Ramsey can play AMF is not an option either, as Ramsey's best at CMF.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Someone likened him to Arshavin the other day. Due to the way he blows hot and cold I would agree, he's one of our most inconsistent players this season. Last season he was Mr Consistent, so you do have to put it down to playing on the wing. Having said that he has had good games on the wing. I guess thats why this thread is named Cazorla the conundrum. Or at least it would be if it was spelt right :)

Surprised it took 7 posts for someone to mention it, sorry MC :)

a_fourteen

Established Member

He's been run into the ground by Wenger just like Wilshere was two seasons ago and Fabregas before that. This is what happens when you have a thin squad.

juice man

Can't make his mind up

The Jury said:
No, he shouldn't be dropped.

His form has been more out than in this season, but unless you have something else of similar quality that is more of a guarantee to produce, you can't drop him. His place at AMF is cemented until Özil comes back, and I'm fine with that. He's a brilliant player capable of assistimg and scoring--we've lost too many to even contemplate willfully going without another.

Dropping him so Ramsey can play AMF is not an option either, as Ramsey's best at CMF.
Yup, agree with all of this. He hasn't been as good this season, but I think some of the criticism of Cazorla has been a bit harsh. He's hardly been our problem this year.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Everyone is going to seem better now Ramsey is back, Cazorla included.

Floating

Established Member

I can understand a dip in form, but he's absolutely vanished this season.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Do the large majority who said he was as good as Cesc and RvP last season now offer a revision of said opinions?

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Santi's had an interrupted pre-season , plus all those international friendlies . Sure he isn't been a stand out but he has still chipped in with valuable contributions , the other thing is , the guy needs targets . Very hard to be effective when you have to hang on to the ball for longer waiting for someone to present .

MrBump

As usual just what seems to be just buying midfielders without no clear direction in team building.
Let's just buy lots of central midfielders and get them playing over the park.

Cazorla, Özil, wilshere, Ramsey, rosicky, arteta. All cams and most playing out of position, while other areas are severely lacking.
Cazorla isn't a winger while we have Giroud and Arteta screening.
Arteta is just horrible at screening.
Özil is brilliant but no runners
Rosicky seems to be only one who could penetrate.
Jack tries too much, looks like he needs clear direction.
Ramsey is Ramsey.

DM - bender/Flamini
Cm - Ramsey/jack
Am - Özil/Cazorla
Rosicky, diaby, zelelam

That's their positions and positions only unless of emergencies

Having no one up top just highlights our "arc of frustration"

Rw - theo/ox
Lw - Draxler/podolski
St - cavani/Giroud.

Clear positions, clear strategies, clear play.

Fckn simple.

truth_hurts

Cazorla is a ball player, currently playing in a team that is struggling to keep the ball and he's spending most of his games chasing back. this is a bigger problem than anything else. if we had Ramsey and Flamini winning the ball and Santi and Özil to keep it with a couple of runners up front then he wouldn't look as woeful as he does at the minute. Let's not forget that there were times in the second half of last season where he looked ineffective because teams stifled him.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Finally people are starting to notice, he's been shocking this season, absolutely dog **** compared to his first season and what we were told he would bring here. His passing has been hit and miss, his ball control has gone down a level, his finishing has been meh, he can't take a freekick since he joined us and he gets shown up every big game away from home, he can't ****ing play wide.

Back-up to Özil or sell him, hate watching him on the wing.

MaestroCesc

People using the runners/Ramsey excuse I feel aren't see actually how bad he really has been this season. That excuse shouldn't account for as Thunter said, his ball control, set pieces and passing etc

In fact the attack really isn't that different to the one he was playing in last season with the exception of Walcott and Theo can't be an excuse for everything.

truth_hurts

My argument is that he was a little 'bitty' last year as well. Undoubtedly brilliant though and not a player who we should be thinking about losing. we could and should be building him into our line up. every bit as good as David Silva.

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

We need a true left winger. Cazorla can't hack the wing in the PL. He's a great player to have though. Just being over played in a position he isn't suited for in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom