<

The Effect of Coronavirus on Football

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by carter777, Mar 10, 2020.

?

Is the return of football important to you?

1. Yes

40.9%
  2. No

39.4%
  3. No strong opinion either way

19.7%
  1. Jackie_Treehorn

Jackie_Treehorn Well-Known Member

2. nick gould

nick gould Well-Known Member

Serves him right. He should take a whole degree course but I guess it would take him 10 years. Not the sharpest tool in the box.

Oxeki likes this.
  3. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry 24/7

Any good? Seen him mentioned but never watched him.

4. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Very talented but his development has been stunted by injury.

He was originally a highly touted England youth international as a schoolboy and was held in the highest of esteem (some considered him a bigger prospect than Nelson at the time). Really excellent technician, can dribble, pass and shoot very well. Pretty quick over short distances aswell and can beat players. Was the pick of the 2001 intake, even with TJJ, Amaechi, Smith and others. Picked up some kind of knee problem and missed large chunks of the next two seasons - and it's really affected his development to the point that I was surprised that the club offered him a new deal at earlier on this season (he signed it). He had to go back to U18 football for a spell and since this season started, he's been a regular for the U23s. He's struggled for end product but his performances have been getting much better - culminating in what I thought was a really excellent performance against Man City U23s a few months ago.

It's gonna be tough for him but the club still rate him very highly clearly and he's versatile enough and of a high technical standard to fit in. Could be an Iwobi type situation where he makes an unexpected impact - however, despite his numbers this season, he's a bigger goal threat and a much cleaner striker of the ball.

Isn't his most impressive work as this is the season he's just starting to get his momentum back but there's some really cracking passes in here.

Tourbillion likes this.
  5. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Premier league affiliating itself with a political organisation (BLM), yet disciplines players that support political movements of their own choosing.

Replacing player names with BLM and kneeling is too much. Leave it out of football.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  6. GDeep™

GDeep™ Has Never Seen Our New Signings Play

Players, clubs, fans have asked for this, according to various stuff I have read. I don’t see a problem.

Clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool have responded off their own backs anyway, with kneeling in training and other stuff.

Its only one round of games too, seems like you’re going out of your way to be bothered by this.

7. GDeep™

GDeep™ Has Never Seen Our New Signings Play

Who did they discipline btw for supporting a political movement? I don’t know, would be interested to know if a case exists.

8. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Many throughout EPL history I'm sure. Recent one that comes to mind:
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...a-yellow-ribbon-manchester-city-a8225591.html

They also warn against such things:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/a...cketer-Moeen-Ali-political-support-pitch.html

However you look at it, it's double standards, and a failure by EPL to uphold to its own rules.

9. James Bond

James Bond Moderation Consultant

[​IMG]

Its not Black Lives Matter the organization, it’s #blacklivesmatter the movement to show their support in the fight against racism going on across the globe. The EPL already teams up with Kick it Out, so racism in general, is a cause they have a history of using their platform and reach to help bring attention to in an effort to help educate and eradicate it.

Quite interesting that you think fighting against racism is a political movement though. o_O

Perhaps you might skip the City match and educate yourself on all the ways systemic racism is built into societies across the world and how it targets/limits/kills (black) people as clearly you come from a place of privilege given your initial reply. I’ll gladly provide suggestions of various articles, podcasts, books, and/or documentaries if you’d like someone to start.

10. Manberg

Manberg Predator

The movement is political. It has encouraged violent protests, vandalism, looting and a controversial country-wide debate on the removal of statues. There are differing views on the matter. Don’t believe me?
    The telegraph:
    “Make no mistake – BLM is a radical neo-Marxist political movement“
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....m-radical-neo-marxist-political-movement/amp/

I’m with the fight against racism and the fight against homophobia, but endorsement of political movements and causes has no place in football. Because it’s going ahead, a line is now blurred. What’s to stop Özil from publicly displaying his support of raising awareness to the mistreatment of muslims in China, that he recently went on about? That can be tied with racism, but it’s political. So is the free Gaza movement when that cricketeer displayed an armband was disciplined for.

11. Moah

Moah Well-Known Member

You must have not seen the General Chit Chat page. Please check it a few pages back, you wouldn't want to go on with this.

James Bond likes this.
  12. Manberg

Manberg Predator

What are you trying to say?

13. James Bond

The EPL (correctly) doesn’t see the fight against racism as a political issue as they’ve continually supported Kick it Out and maybe because of it they see the message of black lives matter through the opportunists who have used it to loot and/or damage property (or just full on see property damage as replaceable/fixable while lives taken by those paid and sworn to protect them are not) yet for some reason you’re lumping all three in an effort to dismiss it on some “shut up and dribble” nonsense.

As for your silly concerns/examples the PL didn’t come down on Özil for his support for the plight of those in China previously and the cricket player doesn’t ply his trade within the EPL, so what are you on about? If the league stands here in support of black lives matter movement and doesn’t in other areas then call them out then for not also taking a stand, but I’m not sure what you’re trying to call them out for actually standing up unless everything is actually just a thinly vailed excuse as you come from a place of privilege and you deep down don’t have a problem with systemic racism and police brutality of black people and/or you’re actually just ignorant on the issue to which I offered to help.

Fewtch likes this.
  14. James Bond

Thanks, just gave it a read. Loads of ****posting and whataboutism from someone clearly ill informed on loads of things but very much so on anything to do with race. Imagine complaining about the response or even wording/branding of a movement to end racism, police brutality, and the killing of unarmed black people by someone who needed clarification on this a few months ago...

So incredibly uneducated on black history yet, so incredibly opinionated on the topic of black lives matter. Wild.

Moah likes this.
  15. Manberg

Manberg Predator

@James Bond You’re emotional about the subject. BLM is not kick it out, it is a political movement not affiliated with the premier league. Kick it out is involved in English football at its core.
    Whether you like it or not, BLM has caused political tensions, mainly in the US and UK. The premier league is wrong to get involved in the movement as it’s doing. Politics must stay out of football.

16. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Oh yes of course.

At the expense of the many black players in the PL - and at our club for that matter - some of whom have experienced varying degrees of racism in the game in and of itself. The problem with the argument of politics being involved in sports is that people tend to be upset that it's not their politics being highlighted. The simple fact of the matter is that anti-blackness is a global happenstance and as such, it needs to be called out far more strongly than Kick It Out is prepared to do. Hence, the term #BlackLivesMatter is appropriately used here, and if that belief is so contentious that it causes political tensions to the point where people debate the validity of using the term in sports or anywhere else, then perhaps society and the world at large is far more racist - or apathetic to the issue at best - than people like to delude themselves it is. You can feign ignorance if you want but that only makes you look worse.

FWIW, Arsenal themselves have egg on their face after *****ing out of backing Özil when he called out China. I'm not anti-China myself, but the treatment of the Uyghurs deserved highlighting and Özil was ultimately left out to dry for supporting them.

Oxeki and American_Gooner like this.
  17. Manberg

Manberg Predator

There are many injustices in the world, even crueller than the treatment of black people in the west. I won't go into examples here because this is about football. But my point is, that with this political movement being given a platform in the premier league, what's to stop players showing support for other such political movements or causes? In which case, such support could anger state actors, agents advertising firms etc, causing lots of problems. What Özil did and the consequences of that is an example. If Arsenal didn't distance themselves it would've created a rift between China and Arsenal, affecting revenues and loads of things. That was just through a social media post. Forms of political activism on the pitch of that issue in particular (like what's going to be done with BLM - armbands, names on shirts etc) would have created bigger issues that would have involved the premier league.
    This is why no one should get special treatment.

You may not agree because of the information you're being fed, making what I'm about to say controversial albeit true, but there are systemic things happening to groups of people in the world, whether it's based on race, religion etc, that from their perspective would make the livelihood and treatment of black people in the west seem live a privilege. And it gets hidden by powerful groups or states that are involved in the commercial and financial side of football.
    It's wrong to ignore such things, but to preserve the beautiful game we know and love, all politics should be kept out of football.

Fight against racism, homophobia, transphobia and other issues that negatively affect grassroots football from young aspiring players to match-going fans, but don't endorse external political movements.

18. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

19. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Drunka In Friend Zone

[​IMG]

American_Gooner likes this.
  20. elemoo

elemoo Well-Known Member

Thread ressurection now that Pogba has tested positive for coronavirus.

I think the season could get delayed if Man U and a few other clubs catch it as the entire teams/staff would have to self isolate for 2 weeks!

Jury likes this.