The Effect of Coronavirus on Football

rockofcashel

The biggest effect on football will crystallise at the end of the season

Whoever does not make the Premier League at the end of the year, are going to be looking at crippling wage bills due to the lack of fans at the games, and will be faced with decisions about holding onto their best players on big contracts they cannot afford, or letting them go to Premier League clubs who will not be offering "market value", simply to take players off the books to save clubs going bankrupt

Even with the best will in the world, and a top class vaccination program, you won't see a full stadium in the UK for up to another two years.

Arsenal are predicting a €150 million loss by year end due to an empty Emirates.

But at least they have the Sky money to try to help tide them over. Imagine how stretched a Watford must be.. or Bournemouth.. as the parachute payments run out and no fans coming in the gate.

They'll not only be preyed upon by Premier League clubs, but also the relegated clubs going down who will have the benefit of their parachute payments.

And the Championship clubs will be looking at picking off the best League 1 and 2 players, who are now in clubs with salary caps, so will also be unable to afford players on big wages

yousif_arsenal

King of Twitter Rumours
That if euros will be held. Imagine playing tournament in summer after the players spend the season playing 3 games weekly.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted
That if euros will be held. Imagine playing tournament in summer after the players spend the season playing 3 games weekly.
The best solution for the Euros now is just to host it in one place. Dare I say England as it already has the facilties in place. Teams simply bubble and train at any number of available facilties. It's the only practical way of holding it.

London alone could host 5 or 6 games easily. Between The Emirates, Wembley, Sp**s, Olympic Park and Stamford Bridge. Not to mention the likes of Palace and Fulham which can provide training facilities. That's just london

yousif_arsenal

King of Twitter Rumours
The best solution for the Euros now is just to host it in one place. Dare I say England as it already has the facilties in place. Teams simply bubble and train at any number of available facilties. It's the only practical way of holding it.

London alone could host 5 or 6 games easily. Between The Emirates, Wembley, Sp**s, Olympic Park and Stamford Bridge. Not to mention the likes of Palace and Fulham which can provide training facilities. That's just london
Yes should be in one country it wasn't the best of ideas held in multiple countries even without the covid

GoonerJeeves

Up The Terriers
Trusted
Surely they don't plan to fill Wembley with 90.000 people? That sounds rather irresponsible. Granted the situation might have improved by May. I assume we are still talking a reduced capacity crowd.

American_Gooner

Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so.
Eun55OxXYAUhhhP

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted
I wonder what the more up to date stats show about ‘home advantage’ ? I remember seeing around October that no fans didn’t make much that much of a difference. Wonder if that’s still the case now but no one seems to have written about it

yousif_arsenal

King of Twitter Rumours
Can't believe we watch football for almost a year without fans thankfully seem everything will back to normal from next season even if 50% of stadium capacity.

Match Prediction

• Arsenal Win

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Everton

Votes: 17 39.5%