• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
So far we're a selling club again this year. Sold £95m, bought £50m.

The more I look into Wenger's reign the more it amazes me. We've been a selling club in 9 of Wenger's seasons here. Compare that to the other clubs in the same time.
Arsenal 9
Sp**s 4
Liverpool 4
Chelsea 3
City 2
United 2

Yet check out the number of years in the top 4 over that time.

Arsenal 20
United 18
Chelsea 16
City 12
Liverpool 12
Sp**s 3

He's a ****ing genius.

The number of different ways you keep dressing up the same underlying fact (number of seasons Wenger has got us top 4) ..... I think you’re the freaking genius dude :)

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Reading RAWK. Liverpool fans have the same problem as Arsenal fans.

They lost their sh*t losing 1-o to Swansea after beating City.

How much football are they watching ffs. Liverpool, Arsenal and Sp**s have been doing that for years and years. It's just inconsistency, against all teams, not just the rich ones.

That's how money works. The more expensive the squad the greater the probability of finishing higher because of greater consistency.

It's as if people don't watch any football.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We're gonna need a massive investment if we're gonna get back to regularly getting into the top 4. Seems like we're about to take Sp**s and Liverpools roles of being in the outskirts of the CL places and we don't have a £100 mil player to sell like those 2 teams.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
We're gonna need a massive investment if we're gonna get back to regularly getting into the top 4. Seems like we're about to take Sp**s and Liverpools roles of being in the outskirts of the CL places and we don't have a £100 mil player to sell like those 2 teams.

Before any massive investment, this club is crying out for some fresh coaching ideas. We are in desperate need of a new manager.

Nope he uses it for individual results as well.

I thought that was just you other guys using it to make fun of him. I have missed it him using it. So I didn't know!

Well, it is clear that smaller teams can win the bigger teams in terms of squadcost. The evidence are there to be seen almost every weekend a lesser team winning bigger team. I always thought the squadcost theory was just vs final position and I already proved mathematically that there is correlation between that! :p

But as you where. Sorry!

Reactions: A_G

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

People on here genuinely believe that players are better than others simply by virtue of their transfer fee.
:lol: It's about the only thing in football I'm absolutely sure of.

Your mistake is that this is constantly in a state of flux. How much would KDB and Aguerro cost now, and how much would Pogba and Lukaku cost if you wanted to buy them.

People still struggle with this concept. SMH.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
People on here genuinely believe that players are better than others simply by virtue of their transfer fee.
I don't. There are bargains to be had and certain players fit styles of play better than others. But to think that squad cost doesn't play an important factor at the same time is rather ridiculous. And the example you gave is just an exception - and exceptions do exist. I could turn around and do the same thing though: KDB/Aguero > Ayoze/Gayle. The former costs more than the latter... And they're far ****ing better as indicated by the table and personal statistics.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Your mistake is that this is constantly in a state of flux. How much would KDB and Aguerro cost now, and how much would Pogba and Lukaku cost if you wanted to buy them.
Why do those caveats only apply to teams outside Arsenal? You could easily say that Alexis was cheaper than normal because Barca needed to shift him for Suarez, Cazorla was cheap because of Malaga's financial problems etc. Those circumstances artificially lowered the value of the squad, when in reality the disparity in talent between Arsenal and the 3 richest clubs isn't as great as you make it out to be.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
But to think that squad cost doesn't play an important factor at the same time is rather ridiculous.
But it doesn't always tell the whole story. In the Arsenal-United match at the end of last season, they had the higher squad cost in terms of the players that started despite the fact that it was clearly full of 2nd choice players while they prioritised the Europa League. You'd think beating United that day was some great achievement just based on the respective squad costs, even though the teamsheet tells a different story.
I could turn around and do the same thing though: KDB/Aguero > Ayoze/Gayle. The former costs more than the latter... And they're far ****ing better as indicated by the table and personal statistics.
Comparing City to United is more apt though, considering they're generally competing for the same level of talent in the market.

Reactions: BBF

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
But it doesn't always tell the whole story. In the Arsenal-United match at the end of last season, they had the higher squad cost in terms of the players that started despite the fact that it was clearly full of 2nd choice players while they prioritised the Europa League. You'd think beating United that day was some great achievement just based on the respective squad costs, even though the teamsheet tells a different story.

Comparing City to United is more apt though, considering they're generally competing for the same level of talent in the market.
I'm not saying it does tell the whole story, as I said, there are exceptions. But it doesn't overturn the general rule, which is that the more money you spend on your squad, i.e. the better players you're acquiring, will more than likely lead to you finishing higher in the table.

Reactions: A_G

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Why do those caveats only apply to teams outside Arsenal? You could easily say that Alexis was cheaper than normal because Barca needed to shift him for Suarez, Cazorla was cheap because of Malaga's financial problems etc. Those circumstances artificially lowered the value of the squad, when in reality the disparity in talent between Arsenal and the 3 richest clubs isn't as great as you make it out to be.
Consider any team. They all have players that are under priced like Hazard because he was bought some years ago or Ramsey because he was bought for a small fee. And most EPL teams are over paying for players these days too e.g. Lukaku, Lacazette, etc.

So squad cost is not exact and could average out as much +\- £50m because of these anomalies.

But so what? City at £900m +\- £50m are going to be a lot better than Arsenal £400m -/+ £50m or Liverpool £437m-/+£50m. And have a much greater probability of winning the league.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Squad cost isn't even something you should be arguing for 30 pages, it's simply a fact there is no argument against it.

I didn't even mean to bump this thread I was looking for the squad analysis thread or whatever but I was high.

Top Bottom