The Great Squad Cost Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Toast, May 4, 2017.

?

Squad cost?

1. Yay

26.2%
  2. Nay

73.8%
  1. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne is Temporary, Squad Cost is Forever Trusted

Bit of an exaggeration. There's only been one club outperformed us spending less, they used to be our rivals in the old days. Wenger beat them 20 years straight though tbf. We were all happy to Lord it over them then.

Mark Tobias likes this.
  2. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

That win rate was 57 a week or two ago:lol:

3. Dj_sds

Dj_sds New Member

Seems legit. Squad cost in a nutshell.

STATS and Thoros_of_ Myr like this.
  4. Makingtrax

He got 75 points last year which is a fraction below his 20 year average. So he's not spiralling downwards. Liverpool and Spurs are improving.

But we agree it's time for him to leave, this year his away form is poor.

5. Kobi

Kobi I Know Who You Are

Maybe but you can't just discount Kane and Alli as a "fluke" any more than you would Vieira, Van Persie, Toure, Fabregas, Anelka or Wilshere now.
    They all cost a fraction of their worth.
    Kane is a youth product who scored goals at every age group and they took a chance and stuck him in the team, Alli as well they didn't just send him on loan for six years as Chelsea would have done he went straight from League One into the team, you have to give them some credit.
    To be fair they have always bought young British players it's just up till now they have been mostly crap like Huddlestone and Dawson, chances were always they would get one right at some point.

Makingtrax likes this.
  6. Makingtrax

Yes, but only if you don't understand it. ;)

Mark Tobias likes this.
  7. Dj_sds

Dj_sds New Member

Yea, i prefer logic. ;)

8. BBF

BBF Real name: Ragip Xh...

Yep. Comes on here everyday, gets hit with a load of facts disproving a lot of this nonsense and coincidentally changes his argument based on who he's replying to.

I'm actually amazed this rubbish gets rewarded with a "trusted member" status.

BobP and Beksl like this.
  9. Chanandler Bong

Chanandler Bong New Member

This thread is shockingly boring.

10. STATS

STATS Active Member

I feel that exactly is the problem. We have set the benchmarks so low and we are happy to abide by it. Pool and spurs' managers and players dont have the mentality and have overtaken us. On the other hand we have chelsea who are 8 points ahead of us, and there are rumors of their manager getting the sack.
    I am not saying that I want my club to be run like chelsea managerial merry go round, but its about time, the average/we are fine attitude is chucked out of the club. And for that to happen, wenger has to leave.

Makingtrax likes this.
  11. BBF

BBF Real name: Ragip Xh...

Good post.

Others here would make you believe 2008 Aston Villa should be on the same level as 2008 Barcelona because Barcelona's squad was apparently free due to their academy. Obviously neglecting the money spent on the academy, time spent on the players and the extortionate wages being spent.

IslingtonBornandbred likes this.
  12. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

I'm still baffled by this.

An absolute joke.

BBF likes this.
  13. Makingtrax

They didn't do too badly with Gareth Bale, but I think they paid about £13m for him.

14. krengon

krengon Well-Known Member Trusted

If you are regressing relatively to your competition/rivals you are spiralling downwards even if you technically are performing to your average.

Dj_sds and BBF like this.
  15. Makingtrax

Most of the other clubs at the top of the league have cycled in and out of the top 4 over the years as different players and managers have come and gone. Even United recently.

Wenger's been most unusual because he's never done that, since the first day he was in charge.

If he stays another year and completes the team overhaul maybe he'll go back in, who knows.

So maybe the club is cycling for once like all the other teams. It would be very unkind to say he's spiralling downwards at this stage. ;)

16. Sammy1887

Sammy1887 Well-Known Member

Agreed but with Arséne, this sudden downfall from the Top 4 is kind of self-inflicted. He has regularly shown faith in players who have failed him and getting value for money for some of the transfers he has made has also been a problem.

Mark Tobias and Makingtrax like this.
  17. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

Nobody here is claiming it isn't though. Even Trax has stated several fvcking times that time is up now.

18. Makingtrax

Couldn't disagree more. There are thousands of young lads all around the world trying to make it to the land of football milk and honey.

Cream rises. The number that reach Ronaldo, Messi standard or even English lads that become leading goal scorers in the Prem like Shearer and Kane are as rare as hens teeth.

If nurture produced guys like this, there would be a lot more of them. Pochettino didn't make Kane great, anymore than Wenger didn't make Henry great. They chanced upon them. Like Leicester chanced upon Kante.

Scouting is a very difficult and chancy business. If it was easy, clubs wouldn't be spending millions on software to predict the next leading goal scorer.

It's Kane who has dragged that team into the top 4. As we'll see when he leaves Spurs for the big time. There's nothing like scoring goals to infuse a team with confidence. The difference between the coaches at the top is nowhere near as great as the hype and frustration on here suggests.

19. BobP

BobP Favre Fan

You're giving him too much credit.

What usually happens is that after a debate where you point out the flaws in his argument, he'll either ignore you or completely derail the debate by making an irrelevant point. I haven't even touched on how he straw mans opposing arguments.

For example, a couple of months ago I pointed to the issues with taking the price of a player to be indicative of their value or quality. I even remember you raising the issue of the Barcelona team back then.

And yet, we find ourselves having the very same debate all over again.

The guy is like a literal brick wall.

Whatever points you make go in through one ear and come out the other.

BBF likes this.
  20. Makingtrax

Funny how the Wenger Out brigade resort to personal comments about other posters.

Can only assume they feel threatened by the arguments, so have to resort to character assassinations.

In a sense it's a compliment.