• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Great Squad Cost Thread

Squad cost?

• Total voters

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The cost of players have never been more public than they are today. You could do this analysis with almost any source and it works just as well. It's a simple analysis that we all know is true, instinctively, even without mathematical proof.

Your assertion that what a club can offer is more important than the cost of players is blatantly not true. If it were the lesser teams like West Brom would be winning the league more often and the richest three teams wouldn't have such dominance over the last 13 years since financial doping arrived.

How did you come to that conclusion?

Our highest paid player ever was Payet on 95k a week, which only lasted a short while. We can't afford to pay more because we would break FFP rule. Carroll broke our transfer record and he's on 70k a week.

Özil's wage alone would find our entire central midfield.

Fallout

the truth is somewhere in the middle.

to begin with, of course money matters in football. suggesting otherwise is a denial of reality. the richer you are, the stronger your squad, and the more likely you are to win games. it doesnt matter how you measure the wealth of a team (e.g. wages, squad cost). you'll still get the same relationship between winning and wealth because the wealth measures are extremely correlated with each other.

i think people have severely mischaracterized makingtrax's stance. having the highest squad cost does not mean you will win every football match. it also doesnt mean you will win the league. but it does increase the *probability* that you will win football matches, to such an extent that we can predict where teams will end up in the league based on how rich they are. i'm not sure how this is surprising. just because a few teams defy probability each year, it does not mean that the overall relationship between winning and wealth is a myth.

with that said, there is a key nuance in the data that challenges the predictive power of squad cost for the league's richest teams.

XnCx4We.png

as we can see, for both squad cost and squad wage, teams at the bottom generally stay close to the line, but the league's richest teams are all over the place. there appears to be some threshold level of wealth where the relationship between winning and wealth just disappears.

and this is true for previous seasons as well.

vPnxeCA.png

with the exception of the 14/15 season, it's hard to draw any line that relates winning and wealth for the league's richest teams. the lines for 16/17 and 15/16 are going in the wrong direction! and even though the line for 13/14 is in the right direction, teams don't conform to it in a meaningful way.

i think the explanation here is that, once you reach a certain level of wealth, spending additional money to improve the squad yields diminishing returns. think of all the transfers that go on in world football each year. imagine the difference in skill between the *average* player that costs 10 million and the *average* player that costs 30 million. it's probably huge. now imagine the difference in skill between a 30 million player and a 50 million player. it's probably not as big. and the difference between a 50 million player and a 70 million player is even smaller (perhaps close to zero).

the point is, once you have a certain amount of wealth, the money you put into your squad still matters, but much less than normal, because paying more money buys you disproportionately less talent at the highest level. this is where a good tactical system and good coaching can overcome small differences in skill among players who are basically at the top of the profession (think of how poor english teams are in the champions league).

should wenger be excused for not winning the league in however many years it's been because of squad cost? probably not, in my opinion. although he's never had the league's richest squad, i think the data shows we are at a level where money is not as big of a determinant of league position. we are at a level where if the team is properly managed, we should be winning the league every now and then. and we have shown each season that we can go on amazing runs of form where we are outplaying all teams, only to be comically undermined by periods of severe squad mismanagement and disruption. i think a better manager takes us to the next level.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Fantastic, well thought piece of reasoning, with evidence to back it up.

I had noticed the spread at the top end.

I would add this however, for Arsenal those periods of disruption do coincide with players breaking down and have done for a few years. Whilst ultimately it's Wenger's fault for sticking with inconsistent players like Ramsey, for clubs as rich as United, City and Chelsea quick turnovers and losing money on transfers is less of a concern.

And you also have to remenber that in that top spread region, the three richest have won the league every year bar one since doping came in, the others not being able to maintain a challenge throughout a season.

Great post though, really enjoyed reading it.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

to begin with, of course money matters in football. suggesting otherwise is a denial of reality. the richer you are, the stronger your squad, and the more likely you are to win games. it doesnt matter how you measure the wealth of a team (e.g. wages, squad cost). you'll still get the same relationship between winning and wealth because the wealth measures are extremely correlated with each other.

i think people have severely mischaracterized makingtrax's stance. having the highest squad cost does not mean you will win every football match. it also doesnt mean you will win the league. but it does increase the *probability* that you will win football matches, to such an extent that we can predict where teams will end up in the league based on how rich they are. i'm not sure how this is surprising. just because a few teams defy probability each year, it does not mean that the overall relationship between winning and wealth is a myth.

with that said, there is a key nuance in the data that challenges the predictive power of squad cost for the league's richest teams.

XnCx4We.png

as we can see, for both squad cost and squad wage, teams at the bottom generally stay close to the line, but the league's richest teams are all over the place. there appears to be some threshold level of wealth where the relationship between winning and wealth just disappears.

vPnxeCA.png

with the exception of the 14/15 season, it's hard to draw any line that relates winning and wealth for the league's richest teams. the lines for 16/17 and 15/16 are going in the wrong direction! and even though the line for 13/14 is in the right direction, teams don't conform to it in a meaningful way.

i think the explanation here is that, once you reach a certain level of wealth, spending additional money to improve the squad yields diminishing returns. think of all the transfers that go on in world football each year. imagine the difference in skill between the *average* player that costs 10 million and the *average* player that costs 30 million. it's probably huge. now imagine the difference in skill between a 30 million player and a 50 million player. it's probably not as big. and the difference between a 50 million player and a 70 million player is even smaller (perhaps close to zero).

the point is, once you have a certain amount of wealth, the money you put into your squad still matters, but much less than normal, because paying more money buys you disproportionately less talent at the highest level. this is where a good tactical system and good coaching can overcome small differences in skill among players who are basically at the top of the profession (think of how poor english teams are in the champions league).

should wenger be excused for not winning the league in however many years it's been because of squad cost? probably not, in my opinion. although he's never had the league's richest squad, i think the data shows we are at a level where money is not as big of a determinant of league position. we are at a level where if the team is properly managed, we should be winning the league every now and then. and we have shown each season that we can go on amazing runs of form where we are outplaying all teams, only to be comically undermined by periods of severe squad mismanagement and disruption. i think a better manager takes us to the next level.
Close the thread. If you can't agree with this then football isn't your game!

mm76again...

i still think the poll needs a middle option, it's ludicrous to say that spending a lot of mony on a side can't help gain more success, but equally it doesn't gaurantee it and there's plenty of examples of that, e.g. Moan U and Sunderland this year, Leicester and Chelsea last year

KROENKE SUCKS

The problem with this kind of analysis is that it assumes that all other things are equal. How are factors like Managerial ability or referee bias or major injuries to key players or lack of European football, taken into account by these charts?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

i still think the poll needs a middle option, it's ludicrous to say that spending a lot of mony on a side can't help gain more success, but equally it doesn't gaurantee it and there's plenty of examples of that, e.g. Moan U and Sunderland this year, Leicester and Chelsea last year
F*** the poll, money wins trophies, end of.

Only when the spend is reasonably close do managers count.

Very occasionally a club can perform well above or well below it's its spend but they are rare occurrences.

Simples.:lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The problem with this kind of analysis is that it assumes that all other things are equal. How are factors like Managerial ability or referee bias or major injuries to key players or lack of European football, taken into account by these charts?
They are the very reason why the correlation isn't 100%. You've hit the nail on the head.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
That's another 'troll' related post.

They say a monkey randomly punching a keyboard will come up with a Shakespeare play given enough time. Hope you for you yet lad :lol:

Yeah waiting for that play from you or was the whole Squad Cost bs part of the act? :lol:

Handing out personal insults on a internet forum. Damn dude, you need some help.

Reactions: BBF

BBF

XnCx4We.png

vPnxeCA.png

Nice analysis

BBF

He used the same data :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:, same chart

You really are an arsehole!

Firstly, I'd rather you didn't call me names. Secondly, he used different data, he actually bothered to consider wages as a valuable variable and was able to present a graph properly. That's a solid, concise argument. Making graphs up on transfer fees with false sourcing isn't a solid argument.

RoadrunnerReloaded

F*** the poll, money wins trophies, end of.

Only when the spend is reasonably close do managers count.

Very occasionally a club can perform well above or well below it's its spend but they are rare occurrences.

Leicester last year, Chelsea last year and Monaco and United this year already shows its not as simple as you state but at least you are making progress!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
They are the very reason why the correlation isn't 100%. You've hit the nail on the head.
Wait, so half the forum mention this over and over and ****ing over all ****ing season and now suddenly that the season is over and you have no games left to hide behind you admit that there are other factors involved. Jesus, you can't make this **** up!

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wait, so half the forum mention this over and over and ****ing over all ****ing season and now suddenly that the season is over and you have no games left to hide behind you admit that there are other factors involved. Jesus, you can't make this **** up!
:lol:Always said it was only 70+% from the start.

But slowly realising now that what people read and how they interpret it depends on who's written it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
:lol:Always said it was only 70+% from the start.

But slowly realising now that what people read and how they interpret it depends on who's written it.
Yes, that is fair enough. I also think that despite you having said it isn't, your posts have insinuated (at least to those who haven't read it all) that you believe squad cost is the only factor.

I know you don't honestly think that. But you also know I just can't help but argue some points with you.

Seriously hoping we have more to agree on next season. As I have stated before, I miss the fraternity type feeling this fan base used to have.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

XnCx4We.png

vPnxeCA.png

part I am highlighting is a gross generalization on how Gibbs or Clichy before him can't cross although they were playing as winger/wing back for decades or various basic mistakes other players do (Theo, Ox...)
this is not a small problem, but hardly discussed

Top Bottom