• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Koscielny Dilemma

ThaSaltCracka

Skipped over most of this thread....

Agree with OP regarding Kos strengths, but the weakeness are harsh. This guy is still new to us, so we should expect his positioning to improve with experience. Strength is a concern, for sure, but the way he plays basically means we need a presence behind him which is why he is a good partner with Djourou and not Vermaelen. But complaining about his first touch? Really? He's a defender and his passing seems fine.

edit: agree with the DM comments above.

dafish

The problem is that he isn't a young player anymore, at his age he should be able to read the game and time his challenges better. I'm not saying he's not showing promise, but he is starting to hit an age where he has to show more than just promise.

blaze_of_glory

dafish said:
The problem is that he isn't a young player anymore, at his age he should be able to read the game and time his challenges better. I'm not saying he's not showing promise, but he is starting to hit an age where he has to show more than just promise.

He does both of those things very well imo.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
I personally believe that Koscielny is being underrated based on one error in a cup final.

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
im not Kos's biggest fan, but lets be perfectly honest.. he's had to play with no less than 4 CB partners since he arrived, none of which was with any consistency except Djourou (and for a time last season, they looked like a decent pair until DJ sh*t the bed late in the season)..

TV (briefly)
Squillaci
Djourou
Mertesacker

do i think he should be starting for us? probably not once TV comes back, but for now, he is part of the top pairing

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I would actually prefer to see Mertesacker alongside Vermaelen as first choice but maybe Koscielny over Mert against more pacy opponents.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
fabo said:
He makes an error every few games tbf, he's already had a few stinkers this season.

I'm not denying that, he is still error prone - although I believe he's improved in this regard. My point is that people are now highlighting every mistake more than if Mertesacker or Vermaelen made a similar mistake.

mistaT

Established Member
Eh, he should never have been a starter when he arrived....which is exactly how he plays. Good, but not Starting XI quality for a team of Arsenal's standards.

He would be one hell of a defender if he cut out 50% of his errors though and I must admit he's becoming aerially supreme.

I got time for him, he'll come good in my opinion.

banduan

Established Member
Kosh is a great defender. His positioning is good, he heads well despite his lack of height, he has good technique both on and off the ball.

His main problem is Senderositis. The chronic disease of having a great game and then suddenly letting out a monstrous guff of enormous stinky-poo.

Mr. Hotshot

Established Member
Technically and tactically, he is a good defender. But when his head is upside down at times, he can be the complete clown. And we've had a lot of those in the past years, now Djorou is getting sucked into that problem too. What is it with our defenders being complete rubbish at times?

yuvken

Established Member
banduan said:
Senderositis. The chronic disease of having a great game and then suddenly letting out a monstrous guff of enormous stinky-poo
Senderos had mental issues I don't think Kos has. He respects no one, and after these
bad moments (games) you don't see a confidence issue - new game, no complexes. Maybe if senderos was able to do that, he wouldn't have shrunk so bad, and maybe play to his potential - Kos, more or less?

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
fabo said:
He makes an error every few games tbf, he's already had a few stinkers this season.
You're even then; you're apt to make a (stinking) one every few posts tbf. Dress it up how you like, you're never going to get off his back though, so, meh.

I think US's point can't be overstated: we've had no consistency whatsoever in our central pairings. Think TV would've looked much better with Squid? I don't.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
For what it's worth, i rate him very highly and will continue to do so regardless of whether he develops further as a player.

He attacks the ball, is pro-active and has stepped up to the plate after being thrown into the fireing line earlier then expected last season.

He lacks a little bit of experience and consequently confidence, so it is vital that he has a leader or more experienced individual alongside of him. Have a very strong feeling Per and himself will form a top partnership will Vermaleen is out.

AshburtonGhost

Not a massive fan of Koscielny but Arsène and the boys would find a way to make the greatest defences in history leak like a sieve. I'd much rather discuss their ineptitude than hammer a bloke that, in fairness, has shown a bit of promise, but has been a victim of much bigger issues, IMO.

fabo

6.51 / 10
He didn't step up to the plate last season, he was mediocre at best. This season that has continued, with shockers at United and Blackburn, Koscielny being rooted to the spot for his OG has nothing to do with his CB partners.

People always look for excuses when their faves are underperforming - sometimes it's as simple as, 'They are not that good'.

Wenger's really messed up with the CB's, we've spent significant money on a batch that isn't good enough bar Vermaelen, and to add salt to the wound, there's a nonchalant attitude at the club nowadays when it comes to coaching and defending in general.

cuban

Established Member
how was he mediocre at best last season? he was our best CB...not that big feat, granted but still..

as for stinkers...he was poor at Blackburn, but at United it was far from his fault...he didn't have stinker there...

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
It's got nothing to do with favourites, but what it has got to do with is not creating an irrational dislike for a player and mind-numbingly latching on to every little mistake and repeating ad nauseum thereby creating a false impression. I gave Gallas more credit than some give Koscielny and that's saying a hell of a lot.

qs

Established Member
You 2 are as bad as each. Kos isn't half as bad as Fabo is making him out to be but he does make some seriously big **** ups and you need to recognise that Ant.

He has a slight concentration probably but thats improving. He's improved consistently since he's been here and he's a good defender but he's still some way off being where we want him if he's going to start. I'd still have him as 3rd choice.

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Well said qs, although I'm not quite sure where he'd find himself in the pecking order, once Verms is fit again.

Alot depends on how good a partnership of Verms/Merte will work.
Verms/Kos has looked very good, for those couple of games.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom