• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Koscielny Dilemma

brady_style

It's difficult to discuss Koscielny on here as many people have such polarised views on him. But I think a good test of his level is to consider how he compares with the CB's of our top rivals.

There's no way he'd start for United or Chelsea. ( City have one or two poor CB's so he might have some chance up there )

His main fault for me is his passivity when the ball is in the air and also he seems at times like a rabbit in headlights when running towards his own goal.

To say that he wasn't at fault at OT when we were absolutely spanked is frankly both hilarious and depressing. He got the absolute run around all day. His lack of aggression and determination in the penalty box lead to the first goal and he got worse as the game went on.

Martin Keown was shocked at how bad he and all the other defenders were.

He'll play poorly again this season and he will play well in other games and some people will continue to think he's great and others that he's horse-****e.

The answer is he's in the middle, which is not good enough for a club who aspire to win league titles and european cups.

GOONER1991

Established Member
I think Koscielny is good enough, however suffers from our complete lack of good defensive tactics and also the fact that he is never allowed to settle with one defensive partner at a time.

Last season he was brilliant when he got an extended run in the team alongside Djourou, however looked shocking at times as last season he was trying to deal with moving up a level, to a new league, new team, new country, yet how is he meant to do this successfully, when he cannot even have a settled defense. Last season He started with Vermaelen with Almunia behind. Then got Squillaci with Almunia behind. Then Squillaci with Fabianski behind. Then Djourou with Fabianski behind. Then Djourou with Szczesny behind. Then Djourou with Almunia again. Then Squillaci with Almunia. Then Squillaci with Lehmann. Then Squillaci with Szczesny again. Then we ended the season with Vermaelen and Szczesny behind. How is anyone meant to settle under those conditions.

And again this season, we've had a continously changing defence. How can we judge him when he's only had one real period of having a settled defence? And it was then that he was very good.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
qs said:
You 2 are as bad as each. Kos isn't half as bad as Fabo is making him out to be but he does make some seriously big **** ups and you need to recognise that Ant.

He has a slight concentration probably but thats improving. He's improved consistently since he's been here and he's a good defender but he's still some way off being where we want him if he's going to start. I'd still have him as 3rd choice.
No one can ignore his mistakes (I certainly don't), but every CB makes them. Kos doesn't make as many as people think just that some of the ones he's made have been glaringly obvious ones and thus are easy to spot (and recite).

And rather than concentration, I still go back to our rotating back-4 as a bigger problem. Uncertainty manifests itself that way. ****, this was all supposed to unfold with TV as one CB and so far ...

yuvken

Established Member
concentration and rotation are two separate issues, and when there is such an issue (qs put it very well: he does have that, but it's improving) the hesitation/laps are exposed more and we pay for that. Experience will help in that aspect (as will stability, agree with Ant on that).

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Why is it that Koscielny is consistently deeper than Mertersacker, during times were the rest of the back four are playing offside. Is it an intentional ploy, or is Koscielny consistently unaware of were his partner is?

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
It's some sort of coverage in the case of Merte or someone else of the backline misplaces a pass.

Risky of course because of the non existant offside trap, but I've seen him quite often intercepting the ball in those areas while being the last man.

Part of his game I assume.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
redwhiteAustrian said:
It's some sort of coverage in the case of Merte or someone else of the backline misplaces a pass.

Risky of course because of the non existant offside trap, but I've seen him quite often intercepting the ball in those areas while being the last man.

Part of his game I assume.
I think we've changed from trying to deploy the offside trap, to more of a system were one centre back covers while the other pushes forward to try and win the ball.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Irish_Owen said:
Why is it that Koscielny is consistently deeper than Mertersacker, during times were the rest of the back four are playing offside. Is it an intentional ploy, or is Koscielny consistently unaware of were his partner is?

Admittedly, holding a straight line is a weakness he needs to work on, and no way is it intentional. The gap behind his nearest defender needs to be bigger if he's to make this work as some sort of offside trap. Tony Adams was a master at it.

Glovegun

Established Member
He's not a bad player but with Mertesacker settling in quite well there's no way he should start when Vermaelen gets fit. Koscielny is just about a good enough third choice centre-back, no more than that.

cuban

Established Member
obviously Mert is new to the team and the league so this isn't overall judgement of him but if Vermaelen was to come back tomorrow I would prefer Koscielny to partner him...easily tbf

fabo

6.51 / 10
Yep, see how that one pans out.

Koscielny has been here a while now, we know what he offers = 1 good game in 10, loads of errors, poor offside trap, rash tackles.

Not totally convinced by Mertesacker, but he's improved since signing and hasn't made ****-ups.

Jbruin

Established Member
1 good game in 10? Massive exaggeration there Fabo, he's solid 9/10 games, just makes memorable mistakes it seems.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
I think an impartial judgement would be more - good performances 70% of the time. Which would be perfectly acceptable, had we been a mid table team. But this is far from the case..

Jbruin

Established Member
I can see him coming on strong now, he's got all the tools at his disposal, just needs to cut out the concentration lapses and we'll have another world class CB.

Irish_Owen

Established Member
Jbruin said:
I can see him coming on strong now, he's got all the tools at his disposal, just needs to cut out the concentration lapses and we'll have another world class CB.
Think that's a bit an exaggeration, but he'll certainly be a good partner or third choice.

Jbruin

Established Member
I think he has the potential the play at Vermaelens level or at least very close to it, I class Vermaelen as world class, that's what I meant by it.

Kain

Established Member
Jbruin said:
I think he has the potential the play at Vermaelens level or at least very close to it, I class Vermaelen as world class, that's what I meant by it.

tumblr_lffxvzDr2D1qbh6vz.jpg

Best attribute in regards to Koscileny is he can stay fit for more than two games in a row, which makes him more reliable than 90% of our squad, other than that he’s £9 million quids worth of squad depth.

Top Bottom