• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Midfield Enigma

Sykes

I've been thinking that the midfield options we have available to us at present would suit a 433 but then that would require Özil out wide right or left.

A midfield 3 of Xhaka, Coqelin & Ramsey would compliment each other with Xhaka sitting deep & Ramsey & Le Coq being more aggressive further up the field. Ramsey would also have license to get forward.

Obviously then the workload shifted unto Özil, to defend becomes greater, and he doesn't want to stay wide all the time. Furthermore, we'd only have 3 attackers as opposed to 4 in the 4231.

I really think Wenger needs to start thinking about how he could employ different formations to get the best out his midfield when he doesn't have all his best players available.
Simple as this. Özil has said he doesn't mind playing on the right where he can cut in on his left and create. We could have Coq cover him defensively while he drifts into where ever he wants.
A midfield 3 of Coq - Xhaka - Ramsey with a front 3 of Iwobi/Ox/Theo/Perez - Alexis - Özil till Santi comes back. We can have Xhaka deep doing his thing while Ramsey and Coq wreck havoc with their energy.

N

NotAUserName

Simple as this. Özil has said he doesn't mind playing on the right where he can cut in on his left and create. We could have Coq cover him defensively while he drifts into where ever he wants.
A midfield 3 of Coq - Xhaka - Ramsey with a front 3 of Iwobi/Ox/Theo/Perez - Alexis - Özil till Santi comes back. We can have Xhaka deep doing his thing while Ramsey and Coq wreck havoc with their energy.
Would personally have Alexis on the wing with Lucas/Giroud/Theo as striker, at least until Santi returns. Özil hasn't been at his best so Alexis should be given the freedom to control our attack and he can't do that as a striker or makes us less effective when he drops deep.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Thought Ramsey was good for his first game at CM in ages. Xhaka and him need to start for a few games, on paper that's our best pairing.

Sykes

Would personally have Alexis on the wing with Lucas/Giroud/Theo as striker, at least until Santi returns. Özil hasn't been at his best so Alexis should be given the freedom to control our attack and he can't do that as a striker or makes us less effective when he drops deep.
Yeah true...a front 3 of Alexis - Lucas - Özil would be great if Lucas does manage to adapt. There needs to be fluidity in the front 3 for Özil out wide to work hence why I wouldn't want Giroud upfront.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Arsène needs to go back to the drawing board and solve the midfield conundrum (not to mention the lack of production from the left wing).

We are basically on a holding pattern since Santi went down and until we find a decent combination in MF, able to create in transition, recycle the ball quickly and control the tempo, we are not going anywhere this season. IMO, the most effective pair at this point should be Coq/Xhaka. It has been been tried before and it seems to be the best option at this point.

Albeit it is based on a very small samples, those charts below seem to indicate that as well:

"The charts below show that by far the best pair is Coq-zorla, second best is Xhak-zorla, and third is Coq-Xhaka. The worst is Coq-Ramsey though I am judging that on one game (tonight’s game). The second worst, however, is Coq-Elneny."

Hunter Zolomon

I am starting to think that a lot of our midfield problems would vanish if we played a midfield 3. However unfortunately Özil cannot play as a cm, which i have found so frustrating over the years, for godsake kevin debruyn and david silva manage it for city. silva regularly plays on the wings, same with kdb. Mata also does the same for united. I think Özil unbalances our team, for a guy who can only be effective in one position, he should offer more than assists. cause carzola in the 10 position assists, scores, works hard and is both footed, he is basically an ageing less athletic kevin de bruyne. My ideal formation with the team we have currently. would be our usual back 4 for this season.
mid- carzola/xhaka and le coq. I have no alternative defensive mid for coq. ramsey in the number 10 position, but in a free role, like he had for wales, With Giroud up top, knocking down the ball to foward running ramsey like he did effectively for griezmann in france. Özil playing on the right like mata does for united, drifting in and laying an assist or at least a goal. and on the left sanchez/iwobi does his thing. Its wont make pretty football but it will be effective. Unfortunately we dont have the players to play beautiful plus athletic footy at the same time. there is no all round midfielder like viera in our team. its either the midfielders are athletic, or technically gifted, defensively sound, but none are all three unfortunately.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Bring out the Christmas tree!

image.png

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Change Iwobi for another striker.

Alexis with Perez/Theo/Giroud/Welbeck, there is surely at least one good partnership in there?

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Is our midfield god enough to win this league? I don't reckon so. Would Xhaka Or Coquelin get into any of the other top sides? Özil's job is to do the damage in the final 3rd but if you can't get him the ball then he's wasted. He's a luxury player really and it doesn't look like he can be carried in certain games.

I couldn't believe how poor we were in Manchester on Sunday. They say the game is won in the midfield but our midfield couldn't wrest back control of the game in the 2nd 1/2. For a team famed for it's technique & passing skills, they were non-existent in that 2nd 1/2. Maybe the players were tired but, I've yet to see our midfield really control a big game or at least show composure to stem the tide.

I think we need better options in midfield. Pogba anyone?

Is it the players or is it the system?

Last edited:

Hunter Zolomon

Is our midfield god enough to win this league? I don't reckon so. Would Xhaka Or Coquelin get into any of the other top sides? Özil's job is to do the damage in the final 3rd but if you can't get him the ball then he's wasted. He's a luxury player really and it doesn't look like he can be carried in certain games.

I couldn't believe how poor we were in Manchester on Sunday. They say the game is won in the midfield but our midfield couldn't wrest back control of the game in the 2nd 1/2. For a team famed for it's technique & passing skills, they were non-existent in that 2nd 1/2. Maybe the players were tired but, I've yet to see our midfield really control a big game or at least show composure to stem the tide.

I think we need better options in midfield. Pogba anyone?
Pogba is not exactly doing himself any favours so far this season. However I think we can play a similar formation to Chelsea and do well with the team we have. 3 centre backs two cm's of le coq and xhaka, one to win the ball and one to pass it. Two Attacking midfielders in front of them Özil to help create and Walcott or Chamberlain or Ramsey to help score. And finally two pacey wing backs on either side.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
It would be easiest to change the system, but Wenger doesn't seem to like to make big changes like that, I remember I think it was Santi who said that the players had convinced the boss to play the way we did when we beat City 0-2.

I would like to see the Arsenal attempt a new style of play, something more strict so we don't have to deal with these games where we look like we haven't got a clue because the players are left to figure it out while they're playing.

I don't think we're going to get a different Arsenal style under Wenger that's pretty clear by now so if we want something else we'll probably have to hope for a new manager to come by and for Wenger to give him the keys to the office, as much as I'd love for Wenger to reinvent himself it's probably never going to happen.

Hunter Zolomon

It would be easiest to change the system, but Wenger doesn't seem to like to make big changes like that, I remember I think it was Santi who said that the players had convinced the boss to play the way we did when we beat City 0-2.

I would like to see the Arsenal attempt a new style of play, something more strict so we don't have to deal with these games where we look like we haven't got a clue because the players are left to figure it out while they're playing.

I don't think we're going to get a different Arsenal style under Wenger that's pretty clear by now so if we want something else we'll probably have to hope for a new manager to come by and for Wenger to give him the keys to the office, as much as I'd love for Wenger to reinvent himself it's probably never going to happen.
Lol I guess u haven't heard that he extended his contract.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Quite worrying how bad it's been so far, masked by our attackers (Alexis) creating their own chances. Let's have a look at our options:

Xhaka: Looks about as suited to the PL as your Nan. No pace, no positional sense, he can't tackle and he can't keep the ball under pressure.

Coquelin: According to most, our best option in midfield currently. Francis Coquelin is our best option, absolute poverty that, pure filth.

Elneny: People like him because he cost £5m and can pass it sideways, average player who wouldn't get a sniff at another big club.

Cazorla: Or is that Xavi? Iniesta? THE most overrated player we've had in years, a 32yr old who can't handle PL football anymore.

Ramsey: Never fit, doesn't want to be here and most fans don't want him here. His performances show it.

I've given up on any partnerships now, whatever we try just doesn't look good.

Last edited:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Quite worrying how bad it's been so far, masked by our attackers (Alexis) creating their own chances. Let's have a look at our options:

Xhaka: Looks about as suited to the PL as your Nan. No pace, no positional sense, he can't tackle and he can't keep the ball under pressure.

Coquelin: According to most, our best option in midfield currently. Francis Coquelin is our best option, absolute poverty that, pure filth.

Elneny: People like him because he cost £5m and can pass it sideways, average player who wouldn't get a sniff at another big club.

Cazorla: Or is that Xavi? Iniesta? THE most overrated player we've had in years, a 32yr old who can't handle PL football anymore.

Ramsey: Never fit, doesn't want to be here and most fans don't want him here. His performances show it.
You forgot
Wilshere: Never fit, constantly in the news for the wrong reasons. Sent out on loan because he can't displace the aforementioned names.

Hunter Zolomon

if Leicester can do it, i would love to believe that so can we. We need sanchez on the wings again and a decent mobile option up front, plus a better manager with half decent tactics.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We have the players to play 4-3-3, but Wenger doesn't understand how to implement the formation. He views it as a 4 1 4 1 rather than a 4-3-3. Hence when we actually had the players to make it work, with Ramsey and Wilshere in midfield and Coquelin holding with Özil on the right, it was an absolute shambles as literally everyone went forward bar Coquelin.

Chelsea play 3-4-3, but when they lose the ball they go to a back 5. When you play 4-3-3, when you lose the ball you go to a 4-5-1. It counters pretty much every single formation if played properly. As mentioned Özil's defensive weakness would be offset by Coquelin.

On paper we play a 4-2-3-1, but in essence its a 4-4-2. When we lose the ball Özil is inline with Alexis. The funny thing is, 4-4-2 is the most difficult formation to play in the modern era as it requires two midfielders with box to box ability and who are in sync with their shape and pressing. We don't have that, and Özil doesn't drop into make a 5. Everyone says we play 4-2-3-1, but we don't.

However, the 4-3-3 works best when you have two natural wingers. The formation that would suit us best is a diamond and it would suit Wenger best as he prefers his wide players to drift in allowing space for the full backs. With a diamond it gives you added midfield security and would allow you to play Xhaka/Cazorla, Ramsey and Coquelin at the same time while still having Özil central. You can then have a big man little man combo up front or have Sanchez dropping off Walcott.

Sadly we will stick to a 4-4-2, win our next 6 games and then come unstuck again vs a good side. I am dredding being ripped apart by Bayern.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
We have the players to play 4-3-3, but Wenger doesn't understand how to implement the formation. He views it as a 4 1 4 1 rather than a 4-3-3. Hence when we actually had the players to make it work, with Ramsey and Wilshere in midfield and Coquelin holding with Özil on the right, it was an absolute shambles as literally everyone went forward bar Coquelin.

Chelsea play 3-4-3, but when they lose the ball they go to a back 5. When you play 4-3-3, when you lose the ball you go to a 4-5-1. It counters pretty much every single formation if played properly. As mentioned Özil's defensive weakness would be offset by Coquelin.

On paper we play a 4-2-3-1, but in essence its a 4-4-2. When we lose the ball Özil is inline with Alexis. The funny thing is, 4-4-2 is the most difficult formation to play in the modern era as it requires two midfielders with box to box ability and who are in sync with their shape and pressing. We don't have that, and Özil doesn't drop into make a 5. Everyone says we play 4-2-3-1, but we don't.

However, the 4-3-3 works best when you have two natural wingers. The formation that would suit us best is a diamond and it would suit Wenger best as he prefers his wide players to drift in allowing space for the full backs. With a diamond it gives you added midfield security and would allow you to play Xhaka/Cazorla, Ramsey and Coquelin at the same time while still having Özil central. You can then have a big man little man combo up front or have Sanchez dropping off Walcott.

Sadly we will stick to a 4-4-2, win our next 6 games and then come unstuck again vs a good side. I am dredding being ripped apart by Bayern.
TOP CLASS POST! Why is this so difficult to understand?

Enfield

Established Member
Move players around in whatever fancy layout you require. If the players continue like they have done for the last game and a half we are screwed and tattooed either way. They didn’t try a single bit and that’s the main problem. Monreal has really dropped his standard and Iwobi is a 19yo kid still learning his trade. You can only drop a young guy into a team that is functioning well, allowing him to worry about his own game with the backup of a senior pro like Monreal to help him along. That little duo have both gone into reverse recently and that’s just the start of our problems.

Formation all you want but if it’s okay for Özil to literally walk around the pitch then he can go get f**ked. Imagine if Ramsey or Le Coq tried that crap.

Stick Wilshere in the Cazorla role next year and allow Ramsey a free role akin to his role with Wales and we are a long way towards at least getting some honesty back in our team. Add Theos new found work ethic and the stellar attitude of Sanchez and low and behold we now have a team again….

Latest posts

Top Bottom