• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Midfield Enigma

Feel he will certainly move this summer... Makes sense for Roma at 29 & the understudys they have. Bet its Chelsea though forming the dream Kante & Radja midfield.

Cant believe we went for Xhaka over him. 38m would have got him probably less as only signed a new deal after the summer window. We realistically could have had Kante & Ragja. :mad:

What players are Radja and Ragja?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Not sure how a man who built unbelievable midfields thought it could. Unless his target isn't the title..
Cazorla-Coquelin seemed like a quick fix solution to get top 4 in 14/15, like when Wenger switched to Song-Arteta-Rosicky in 11/12 for the same reason. They did well results-wise together but it was naive to think that would play out over a 38 game season.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Cazorla-Coquelin seemed like a quick fix solution to get top 4 in 14/15, like when Wenger switched to Song-Arteta-Rosicky in 11/12 for the same reason. They did well results-wise together but it was naive to think that would play out over a 38 game season.

To be fair to Wenger surely by signing Xhaka he knew that Cazorla-Coquelin wouldn't be enough long term? I believe Cazorla-Coquelin was played very early on because it was the safest pairing at the time and he persisted with it while we were getting good results. I still think Wenger's long term plan was Ramsey-Xhaka but due to both injuries of Ramsey and Xhaka missing 7 domestic games through suspension it's been a rarity that we've gotten to see it. Remember Ramsey was injured first game of the season so it's not like he had much of a chance to try Xhaka and Ramsey together at the beginning of the season (possibly felt Liverpool was too big of a game for a debuting Xhaka in such an important position).

Not saying Ramsey-Xhaka would have fired us to the title but I think Wenger knew Cazorla-Coquelin had its limitations and was looking long term to Ramsey-Xhaka.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Is Koke even possible? I thought he was I die-hard Atletico player.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
To be fair to Wenger surely by signing Xhaka he knew that Cazorla-Coquelin wouldn't be enough long term? I believe Cazorla-Coquelin was played very early on because it was the safest pairing at the time and he persisted with it while we were getting good results. I still think Wenger's long term plan was Ramsey-Xhaka but due to both injuries of Ramsey and Xhaka missing 7 domestic games through suspension it's been a rarity that we've gotten to see it. Remember Ramsey was injured first game of the season so it's not like he had much of a chance to try Xhaka and Ramsey together at the beginning of the season (possibly felt Liverpool was too big of a game for a debuting Xhaka in such an important position).

Not saying Ramsey-Xhaka would have fired us to the title but I think Wenger knew Cazorla-Coquelin had its limitations and was looking long term to Ramsey-Xhaka.
Iirc in the first game of 15/16 he tried Ramsey-Coquelin in MF and it didn't work, so he went back to the lineup that was successful in the run-in the previous season with Cazorla/Coquelin in MF and Ramsey RW, Giroud CF etc.

Edit: I was just talking about last season

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Koke isn't the answer, his best attribute is his set piece delivery, the Spanish Ward Prowse. We need MEN who can hold their own.

Koke has Gabi and/or Tiago covering him.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Nainggolan is a very good player, pretty underrated considering he's an all-action midfielder but doesn't get much attention. He'd do well at a top club I think. Ideal for a 2-man midfield. Not happening though, seeing what Roma asked for Manolas he'd go for crazy money.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Koke isn't the answer, his best attribute is his set piece delivery, the Spanish Ward Prowse. We need MEN who can hold their own.

Koke has Gabi and/or Tiago covering him.

Has to be the most overrated midfielder of this century. However I think he could be a solid addition as he's a workhorse and tidy enough. Would form a good partnership with Xhaka.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Has to be the most overrated midfielder of this century. However I think he could be a solid addition as he's a workhorse and tidy enough. Would form a good partnership with Xhaka.
People used to say, and maybe still do, that Koke would replace Xavi/Iniesta. All I see when I've seen him is your average CM. His goals and assists come from set pieces and he plays alongside proper DMs under Simeone ffs.

Saul is better.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
People used to say, and maybe still do, that Koke would replace Xavi/Iniesta. All I see when I've seen him is your average CM. His goals and assists come from set pieces and he plays alongside proper DMs under Simeone ffs.

Saul is better.
Saul was always better. We really missed a trick not getting Saul.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nainggolan is a very good player, pretty underrated considering he's an all-action midfielder but doesn't get much attention. He'd do well at a top club I think. Ideal for a 2-man midfield. Not happening though, seeing what Roma asked for Manolas he'd go for crazy money.

Partnered with Xhaka? Wonder who would get the most reds. :lol:

N

NotAUserName

Xhaka (Coquelin)

Elneny (Ramsey) Chamberlain (Cazorla)
At least until the end of the season and then we can buy a quality midfielder who is capable of staying fit. Özil can play on the right and he wouldn't even need to defend as we have 3 central midfielders to provide cover. It can even become a 3-4-3 with Bellerin playing as a wingback and Ox shifting to the left.

OSBK

Established Member
Vidal/kroos/machesio are what we should be after.

Stick 1 of them in a 3 with chakka/Wilshere/ santi and problem solved

karl

Xhaka (Coquelin)

Elneny (Ramsey) Chamberlain (Cazorla)
At least until the end of the season and then we can buy a quality midfielder who is capable of staying fit. Özil can play on the right and he wouldn't even need to defend as we have 3 central midfielders to provide cover. It can even become a 3-4-3 with Bellerin playing as a wingback and Ox shifting to the left.
This is key for me. We need three central midfielders to cope with teams that are organised. Elneny, Xhaka and one other. It is about time we some power back in that area of the midfield and also discipline in terms of positioning.

Forget floating players without responsibility. Both Ramsey and Özil are a liability if they are counted as one of the midfield. I don't mind either playing wide, but there are probably better options that have pace in Iwobi, Perez and Walcott.

blaise

Midfield is our biggest problem. Until we solve that we wont get anywhere. All our midfielders are average or below average. Only solution is to play 3 in midfield.

I hope we will give serious chance to AMN, Jeff and Ox until end of season, not together but string of games so we know internally what is our situation. I hope Xhaka will get better but I am not convinced he can be the difference in midfield of two.

We cant rely on Santi as a first team option, great asset to have but as a bonus and we have to sell some, first should be Ramsey because of his incompability with our style and highest transfer value.

4R5Emaniac

Always fresh from Bangladesh
Koke is very good. Would be a great Santi replacement. We need to get rid of Özil and play another b2b player with power and athleticism in a 3 man midfield if we could get Koke.

blaise

I wonder if an Italian coach could make Özil go in 50-50 duels and put a shoulder in, he could actually be that missing piece for us in the centre but he d have to totally adjust his mindset in duels. His capacity for running is more than enough for that position, it is duels, he could be world class potentially there, but it is probably too late for him to adjust in that manner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom