• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The search for our new right-back is over.

A

Anonymous

Personally, I have never rated Lauren as a defender. He is alright at best. This is the only position I´am unhappy about.

JGooner

Lauren isn't good enough, either offensively or defensively. He is the obvious weak link. He is not a crap player by any means, but he isn't good enough to be first choice for a team that wants to win the CL.

nnaife

Lauren has been outstanding in the last few games, he totally outmarked Damien Duff in the 2nd CL match against chelsea and has been solid most of the season. we have the best defensive record in the premiership this year which is an indictation exactly how well the defense including Lauren has been.

Arsenal should only invest in players that would add real value to the team.

Trabelsi and Sagnol are excellent players but they don't play in the premiership, and besides, I don't feel that they would add much value to an already outstanding defense.

I rather see us buy a talented right winger or a super strong midfielder like this Yaya Toure fella i keep hearing about.

I'm quite happy to see hoyte given his chance rather than buying another RB unecessarily.

Lauren has done nothing wrong this season and it would be quite sad not to acknowledge his achievement .

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
I thought Lauren was great last night.

Re Cesc, I'm sure Arsène said he would certainly be part of the first team squad next year. When he gets a chance, it's down to him to take it.

jc8gooner

Lauren has done well recently, but in the next couple of seasons, I could see Hoyte replacing him if he is as good as the hype suggests.

Cesc will play for Arsenal at the new stadium methinks.

A

Anonymous

JGooner said:
Lauren isn't good enough, either offensively or defensively. He is the obvious weak link. He is not a crap player by any means, but he isn't good enough to be first choice for a team that wants to win the CL.

Couldnt disagree more. I think the guy is an excellent player.

Mark

Established Member
Hoyte sounds great. I think we will see more first team action from him next season, and this season if we win the league early. Is he the next Lee Dixon?

reggiepaul

Sol said:
JGooner said:

Couldnt disagree more. I think the guy is an excellent player.

Lauren had a bad period not so long ago but since then he hasn't faltered much. For a right back in a counter attacking team though he does go missing a lot BUT only to come out with something useful later in the game. Whether this is down to him operating more defensive duties I don't know but he does make very few mistakes.

The thing with Lauren though is within the Arsenal unit right now his contribution is running vertically and very little horizontal play, meaning he misses out on working with our posession and domination in games. He defends exceptionally well to. Lauren for me, for these reasons is in a world of his own but exceptionally useful due to his obvious difference in style to our play but his obvious interplay which helps us give a different dimension to the game. This is something Fred operates well with, because Fred has operated centrally a lot and can use what Lauren provides and make it in to our fluidic play.

Overall though I feel Kolo plays the Arsenal game better and has a greater talent which the rest of the team can recognise and work from. He would be my first choice right back if he wasn't an exceptional center half.

Hoyte though is still young, still a massive reserve player with nothing unique as of yet. He isn't as exceptional defensively yet. At Arsenal you need to excel and develop fast and remarkably well to play a part and get noticed.

I think the rest of the team are fully comfortable with Lauren around. Thuram on the other hand will lift us further. All players that can make a difference but Lauren shouldn't be underestimated just because he plays differently.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
imagine our right side being as strong and effective in attack as our left. with Hoyte, it could well happen. cesc WILL play for Arsenal one day and Senderos will feature next season. people expect Arsène to sign 5 players in the summer. i think he will sign 2 or 3. a CB, and maybe a couple of forwards. thats it.

chris66

I can't see Thuram coming to Arsenal - Wenger won't sign an expensive 32 year old, no matter how good he is. Lauren is a tough one as he gives you the impression he is a weak link sometimes, but its hard to point out why as he make very few mistakes. I think a lot of the critcism he comes in for is very unfair and mostly because our right side is not as threatening as our left. This is mainly because Henry fades out to the left and Pires plays over there. I'm not sure it has that much to do with the full back , as good as Cole and Clichy are. They get space because the opposition is running around like crazy trying to take care of Henry & Pires.

The defence as a unit have been great this year. A lot of this is down to having a more mobile keeper that allows them to play higher up the park. It's easy to talk up other players who we don't see on a regular basis. They all make **** ups from time to time and get caught out of position - look at thuram in the last CL game. Lauren may not always be our stand out player, but he rarely is our problem. I certainly can't think of a better right back playing in the EPL. ANyone who mentions Steve Carr or Gary Neville obviously still thinks it is 1999, as they have both been crap for 3 year.

JazzG

Established Member
Playing screamers in the reserves doesn't mean he will be able to perform highly at the top level. However I have high hopes for him and hope he can. Don't have a problem with Lauren but we should always be looking to improve in every position, if there are better players available we must be looking to improve. The right side of our defense and midfield clearly isn't as strong as the left side, so we should be looking to improve. By changing the way we play on that side or changing the players

Mark

Established Member
I think the critisizm Lauren gets is unfair, he had a bad start to the season but when he came back from injury he improved a lot and has been very solid recently.

I'm sure Hoyte will be there in a few years, maybe with Pennant or Bentley ahead of him in midfield which would be a very strong right hand side, with our left perhaps not as strong anymore with players like Pires retiring.

dunno....

Phillippe Senderos could play in the centre and right, Hoyte right i suppose...

In CM 03/04 i played Senderos at the right and he did well...

Aussie

Established Member
Yes on CM that is not real its a computer game.

Jazzg exactly i have no real problems with any of our pos however we must always be looking to improve in every spot on the pitch.

A

Anonymous

wenger wouldnt of gone to the trouble of buying cesc if he wasnt going to make it. this guy is class, trust me ive seen him alot. he will fit in nicely next to paddy. its not whether we play with 2 defensive centre mids, its about who is our best 2. if cesc develops to be one of our ebst 2, then he will be given a game.

Senght

young1 said:
wenger wouldnt of gone to the trouble of buying cesc if he wasnt going to make it. this guy is class, trust me ive seen him alot. he will fit in nicely next to paddy. its not whether we play with 2 defensive centre mids, its about who is our best 2. if cesc develops to be one of our ebst 2, then he will be given a game.

We shouldn't place our hopes so high for a 16 year old kid though.This few years is really make or break for him, decides whether he will be a wonderkid, or a wonderflop.

KlurgsSporg

Cesc is a amazing player ive seen him play around 19,20 n 25 year old who are bigger and stronger i think he will be the next paddy Cesc is a very skillfull player

weelip

I thought Ralph is playing really well these days...heck, from the leeds game, he seems as solid as Ash was before he is injured. wouldnt not mind him staying till hoyte matures.

This hoyte guy seems very interesting...from the reports, he seems to be better than as cole defensively and at the same time as effective as him in attack.

_scorpion_

Established Member
People who critises Lauren, oboviously don't understand a thing about how Wenger plays the team. The same can be said for Ljunberg.

Wenger focuses all of our attack via the left side, because that is where Titi likes to get the ball. Our right side is there to defend and provide width....not to initiate an equal number of attacks as our left.

Lauren and Ljunberg are class players in this system....especially Ljunberg, because not only does he scrap hard for the ball, he turns up occasionally on the left and in the center. Lauren can't do this because he will be too out of position to back back track and defend.

Look at the stats....they dont lie. We have been the best with this defence. Our defenders play like a unit and this is the important fact. Senderos, Hoyte, clichy and co, should be given time to develp their own combinations in the reserves.

I think its more of a case of people here being too eager to see what we have for the future rather than what we already have.

This in my humble opinion is why as supporters, we stink. If any other club had performed the way we had this year, you would never read negative articles or comments from supporters about players who are doing the job for the team.

Lauren and Ljunberg do a great job for the team and I think you have to start asking questions about the 'supporters' and thier level of support, when players like those two get criticised. I get sick of reading it in here.

Other examples I can mention:

Lehmann....people complain about this guy and to tell you the truth, no one has even noticed Semaan gone. Thats how good he's been.

Gilberto....gets the most stick out of any Arsenal player, yet he works his socks off every time he plays and when he does create chances (for example the two he set up against leeds) no one mentions it.

Henry....believe it or not, but people were calling for him to leave after the Chelsea loss. "not enough bottle' was the opinion of some.

In summary, nothing needs to change about our team next year, and I think you'll find Wenger agreeing with me. We might get the odd talented youngster or squad back up, but thats all.... Thuram wont be comming here, nor will Trebesi, Vieri, Trezeguet and all these other pipe dream players the ungrateful supporters wish for.

I just thank God Wenger thinks differently to half the ****** that post in here.

Top Bottom