• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Summer of 2014 Deadline, Doomsday Day, Transfer Thread

MaestroCesc

Re: The Summer of 2014 Deadline, Doomsday Day, Transfer Thre

US_Gooner said:
MaestroCesc said:
If you read my post you will see I never advocated spending all of it, there would still be plenty left. They estimate that figure is all the money available for spending anyway.
You have no idea how much may be required in the future, because you have no idea who the actual transfer targets are, so you can't say with any confidence how much is available now.
No I don't but leaving 10-20m and then the coffers being filled again, it says by upto 50m, by annual revenue should leave us with plenty for next window. What I do know is 'leaving our powder dry' is ridiculous as we never end up using it.

The Escaped Ape

Cleverly eventually moved to Villa, only confirmed about 17 hours after the window "slammed shut".

say yes

forum master baiter

Not really sure where else to post this but - I ****ing hate transfer windows.

How anyone can enjoy them (particularly as an Arsenal fan) is beyond me. I've been waiting for this one to close for a good week now, dreading the one in January. Let's just get on with the football.

Iceman10

Established Member

say yes said:
Not really sure where else to post this but - I ******* hate transfer windows.

How anyone can enjoy them (particularly as an Arsenal fan) is beyond me. I've been waiting for this one to close for a good week now, dreading the one in January. Let's just get on with the football.

Same, it's annoying with individuals who won't say it but you can see deep down they want bad results while the transfer window is open and will also say idiotic things such as they wish we hadn't won the FA Cup. They haven't got their priorities straight and have basically lost the plot. At least while the transfer window is closed we can concentrate on supporting the players we have and also understand that improvement of existing players can count for more than a transfer, as we saw with Ramsey last season. That's not to diminish the five signings we've actually brought in this window.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

The Escaped Ape said:
Cleverly eventually moved to Villa, only confirmed about 17 hours after the window "slammed shut".

BwW41kyIEAAYCok.jpg:large

glaveror

What a thread..congratulations to everybody who posted here, it turned my night shift into a good laugh..and a special mention to whoever described our latest signing as an "attacker who plays like a horse dropped out of a helicopter". :-D

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

That was me about Welbz During the World Cup.God I hope I'm wrong in the long run. :lol:

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

MaestroCesc said:
ScotVieira said:
MaestroCesc said:
Where are you getting this 'budget' from? Just made it up on the spot? We have something like 40-50m left to spend, of course don't spend it all in one window but Cesc would have only cost 30m which leaves still a bit of money left. We have annual revenues of 300m we could have done it. Also as I said at the time, if we wanted to free up more money we could have sold Cazorla to Athletico.

I have not given a figure to a budget so I am not sure what I made up. However, if you think the business/club operates without a budget, I won't know how to respond to that.

Where did you get the information from that we have 40-50m left to spend?
:lol: From your comments, you suggest that the budget left must be small. But then you admit you have no idea what the budget was... So basically you've been spouting nonsense...

<a class="postlink" href="http://arsenaltrust.org/news/latest-news/transfer-funds-at-arsenal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://arsenaltrust.org/news/latest-new ... at-arsenal</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can't just say 'let's spend our cash reserves' though.

Our loan will have a Loan To Value (LTV) Ratio clause and if we make a loss the company value will drop to a level where the loan could be called in or we could be fined. Spending 'cash reserves' will create a loss if it's below the annual incoming revenues. Businesses are valued amongst other things at 8 times profits, so a loss will reduce value and see our business value drop.

Last year our profits were at around 6 million with a 32 million net spend. Our ratio of wages to revenue also increased. I'm unsure how much extra none transfer revenue we have this year but we can't spend more than 32 million plus our extra revenue. Our net spend seems like it was around 52 million. I think we had some unspent budget but the company budget will give us a better understanding.

ScotVieira

Established Member

MaestroCesc said:
ScotVieira said:
MaestroCesc said:
Where are you getting this 'budget' from? Just made it up on the spot? We have something like 40-50m left to spend, of course don't spend it all in one window but Cesc would have only cost 30m which leaves still a bit of money left. We have annual revenues of 300m we could have done it. Also as I said at the time, if we wanted to free up more money we could have sold Cazorla to Athletico.

I have not given a figure to a budget so I am not sure what I made up. However, if you think the business/club operates without a budget, I won't know how to respond to that.

Where did you get the information from that we have 40-50m left to spend?
:lol: From your comments, you suggest that the budget left must be small. But then you admit you have no idea what the budget was... So basically you've been spouting nonsense...

<a class="postlink" href="http://arsenaltrust.org/news/latest-news/transfer-funds-at-arsenal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://arsenaltrust.org/news/latest-new ... at-arsenal</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This, I consider rude.

However, nothing on the link you have posted suggests that those guys have any clue what BUDGET the club had for the transfer window. I do understand that we don't all have the same gifts but you should never assume that you can determine what an organization's budget for any specific activity is just by looking at it's overall balance sheet.

I don't know if that still makes any sense to you but I really can't explain too much further.

ScotVieira

Established Member

I think some people believe they can decide what the club's budget is by sitting and reading a few individual expert opinions on the state of our finances.

I honestly believe that the budget played a part in our inability to sign defensive cover this window. Arsène was clear that he wanted defensive cover and the only explanation IMO is that the injury to Giroud meant he needed to get in another attacker which would then impact what he is able to spend on a defensive cover.

Just my summation till I have any FACTS to dispute it.

Mastadon

Established Member

Actually its you who keeps going on about the budget without providing any real info. What makes you think we exceeded or fully utilized our budget? We can only go on available information. Take a look at our cash reserves, profitability and new revenue from commercial deals. Its clear that we could have afforded more than what we spent. Wenger is the most powerful manager in world football there is no way IG or Stan would deny him if he asked for more to buy that 30m defender or DM quite simply because we can afford it. Wenger knows it and so does the board and the next set of financial information published will prove it again.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

Mastadon said:
Actually its you who keeps going on about the budget without providing any real info. What makes you think we exceeded or fully utilized our budget? We can only go on available information. Take a look at our cash reserves, profitability and new revenue from commercial deals. Its clear that we could have afforded more than what we spent. Wenger is the most powerful manager in world football there is no way IG or Stan would deny him if he asked for more to buy that 30m defender or DM quite simply because we can afford it. Wenger knows it and so does the board and the next set of financial information published will prove it again.

Read my post on page 61 of why we can't simply spend cash reserves.

Mastadon

Established Member

ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Mastadon said:

Show me some evidence that your post is actually based on fact. It's not hard to come
up with all kinds of random debt covenants to support your point when you don't have to prove it.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member

Mastadon said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Mastadon said:

Show me some evidence that your post is actually based on fact. It's not hard to come
up with all kinds of random debt covenants to support your point when you don't have to prove it.

Nearly all large business loans have a LTV stipulations, much like mortgages have don't lend more than a certain value of a house. It limits their liability. Many profitable businesses have been threatened with foreclosure during the credit crunch because the banks need/want the money back despite not missing loan repayments. We don't know what the Loan and LTV stipulation states but it's almost certainly there.

The worst case scenario being the lender forecloses on the stadium even if loan payments are met. This wouldn't be a concern pre credit crunch but credit is hard to come by.

Mastadon

Established Member

How can our borrowings possibly be an issue when our net debt has dropped so much over the last 5-6 years? Whatever covenants the bank placed on us years ago are easily covered by the increase in net assets on our balance sheet. Assuming we have a LTV ratio at all from 2006 or whatever, don't you think it has shrunk to insignificance with our net debt? Just look at how much the price of Arsenal shares have increased in that time for an idea of the value of Arsenal FC.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan

Cleverley is going to be a flop at Aston Villa. He likes to keep things ticking and play the safe option, playing a slow game. Aston Villa are at their best when breaking with pace, Cleverley is only going to stop that.

GDeep™

League is very weak

With clubs still able to sign free transfers, think we could have a look at a guy like Yepes.

Still has a little in the tank, especially as 4th choice CB.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

Even though he's an old bag it's not a bad idea given our situation. Give me a reject like that over Monreal/Hayden as 4th choice CB any day. He had a very good world cup as well.

Top Bottom