• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The tactics thread

Iceman10

Established Member
The key is who is going to be the holding midfielder, ball carrying connection from the backline, and DLP, which are roles attributed to Xhaka, but none of which he excels in. Either that role is fully replaced with one-for-one, with Guendouzi taking that all over with Xhaka benched, or the role is split among the two players in the #6 and #8 positions.

(benching Xhaka)

#6: Luiz, Torreira, or Guendouzi
#8: Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, or Willock

#10: Willock, Ceballos or Özil

There is a lot of overlap with #6 and #8 positions as I see it, mainly because we need two players as a solid base (to protect the backline) to support a more out and out CAM to link up with the CF and attacking line as a whole.

Torreira was a holding midfielder in Italy. Maybe it is because he is not yet fully fit, but from what I saw in the NLD, I don't know if he can be a #6 in the PL (too easily knocked off the ball).

In the NLD, although we played with three CM's who on paper tend to be more defensive minded, the initial responsibility for attacking connection with the frontline appeared to reside with Torreira. This was a poor fit for the player (Torreira), and obviously Laca was left isolated as a result.

If the manager has a starting selection of a frontline of Auba-Laca-Pepe, and he fails to have either Willock, Ceballos, or Özil in the starting line up to interface with that frontline, the manager obviously has made a poor starting selection (imo).

This is the priority (CM). The rest can be addressed once the manager shows that he gets it for what he needs in CM.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
firmino is really a false 9 and a rare rare breed. Probably haven't seen one at Arsenal since Bergkamp . Anyway Pepe on the wing is so wasteful that he doesn't deserve to start at this point would rather have Ceballos #10 and Özil on the wing to get a bit of creativity- just like Liverpool -have at least one MF in amongst our forwards.
Huh?? Pepe on the bench?? No thanks mate

In what way do liverpool have a midfielder in their forward line like Özil? Firmino is a false 9 as you said, not a midfielder. Neither are salah or mane

I think the front three is actually a very good set up. Auba out wide is not so terrible considering he can beat his man with pace and has shown some good dribbling skills of late.
Everyone seems to point to Lacazette being the weak link in the attack but that notion is misguided imo. Show me someone else in the team capable of scoring that Laca goal!
Lets not get carried away by what every other pundit says. It is clear as day that Ceballos brought the change in the team performance. Could it be because we had Mikhi on the team instead of Lacazette or because we had Auba in CF? I don't think so.
The problem of the team from the onset was leaving pockets of space in the midfield for Tottenham to exploit by not protecting the center. Allowing both fullbacks to bomb forward at a go and telling two of the MFs to cover was a tactical mistake as it left Xhaka completely exposed at the center without back up. Its as simple as that.

Let's learn to call a sped a sped. Not hating on one of the players that gives 110% each time he puts on the shirt. If anything this season has shown us, how can anyone lay blame on a player who has scored 2 in 3 starts!

We are not Liverpool, neither should we completely copy their set up. I believe bringing another winger could be good for the options. As at now however, we have to use the best that we have in our arsenal and that is the front three all playing together. Does anyone here reckon Auba would have scored 30 plus goals last season had he been played centrally? I believe not. Lacazette contributing the 13 that he did and creating the assists he created for Auba is a clear indication of just how important he is in the team. Whoever does not see that needs to get his eyes checked.

Last edited:

Pepe can be converted to a striker. And they’d have the freedom to drift wide and move into channels.
I don't think he'd be as efficient at CF as he is at the wing. Plus the reason I believe we bought him for was our lack of width while attacking.

boyinneedofhumor

Maybe...

Laca should not drop deep but near the tip, in a central position.
Problem would possibly be his 1st touch (and temperament).

Pepe and Auba to interchange behind him/on the flanks. Doesnt have to always be "inverted winger". Might as well put them where they can run.
Conversely, both of them staying near the tip off the opposing defence depends on the opposing defence playing high with gaps for them, + Laca doing a Özil/Bergkamp.

Also read that Pepe's preferred role is on the flanks - Biesla played him through the middle but didn't work out?
https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/scout-report-nicolas-pepe-lille

(If they click with one another, they'll have their own tune and pop up all over where we least expected it).

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah the best way to get our record signing player, new to the team to start scoring and assisting, gelling with the team and being more effective is to bench him

:frustrated::facepalm:

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Who is this guy you know who can play the role as good as firminho?

I didn't say I knew anyone. All I said was to get someone in who could play it better than Lacazette. That's if this is the system Emery decides on sticking with.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
The key is who is going to be the holding midfielder, ball carrying connection from the backline, and DLP, which are roles attributed to Xhaka, but none of which he excels in. Either that role is fully replaced with one-for-one, with Guendouzi taking that all over with Xhaka benched, or the role is split among the two players in the #6 and #8 positions.

(benching Xhaka)

#6: Luiz, Torreira, or Guendouzi
#8: Torreira, Guendouzi, Ceballos, or Willock

#10: Willock, Ceballos or Özil

There is a lot of overlap with #6 and #8 positions as I see it, mainly because we need two players as a solid base (to protect the backline) to support a more out and out CAM to link up with the CF and attacking line as a whole.

Torreira was a holding midfielder in Italy. Maybe it is because he is not yet fully fit, but from what I saw in the NLD, I don't know if he can be a #6 in the PL (too easily knocked off the ball).

In the NLD, although we played with three CM's who on paper tend to be more defensive minded, the initial responsibility for attacking connection with the frontline appeared to reside with Torreira. This was a poor fit for the player (Torreira), and obviously Laca was left isolated as a result.

If the manager has a starting selection of a frontline of Auba-Laca-Pepe, and he fails to have either Willock, Ceballos, or Özil in the starting line up to interface with that frontline, the manager obviously has made a poor starting selection (imo).

This is the priority (CM). The rest can be addressed once the manager shows that he gets it for what he needs in CM.
Depending on how the midfield situation plays out before Hector returns interesting if AMN could find a role in the three.

Only one game but loved him partnering the Ox in that Fa Cup game away at Southampton in 2016. His movement without the ball was excellent & very disciplined.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Football is a squad game at the top level. There will be games suitable for Auba and not Laca, and vice-versa, and games where both should start. There may even be games when Pepe can start through the middle.

There should not be a single plan A, there should be multiple plans which the players work on at training and which should be flexible enough to change in mid-match, maybe even more than once, and leave the opposition guessing.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
Football is a squad game at the top level. There will be games suitable for Auba and not Laca, and vice-versa, and games where both should start. There may even be games when Pepe can start through the middle.

There should not be a single plan A, there should be multiple plans which the players work on at training and which should be flexible enough to change in mid-match, maybe even more than once, and leave the opposition guessing.

This is basically Emery's way of thinking, so no matter what we're writing in here be prepared for constant tinkering. Auba and Laca can both rotate and play together, but the option of them always playing together is not on the table, since if they get injured we're fecked.

The midfield is a bit tricky, because this squad was heavy on AMs and then by the time we stacked it with CMs or DMs the AMs declined and are now not in a good shape (some of them aren't even in the squad anymore.) Note that in our 3-4-2-1 last season the 2 were rather narrow and often basically acted as AMs. I don't think there is a single key decision to be made here, Emery needs to find a balance for each game and get it done. Ceballos is still a mystery to some degree, can he play as a #10 effectively? Guendouzi and Torreira, what are their actual best positions, are they "jack of all trades but master of none" midfielders? The other riddle is Özil, will he be fit, can he hit form?

There is still a lot to solve here. 3-4-2-1 was a decent answer for some time last season, let's see what rabbit Emery can pull out of his hat this term.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Özil is a very talented player but it is hard to see how he gets into the team now other than as a bit player.

Iceman10

Established Member

This is an interesting discussion in of itself, in terms of "multiple plans", "flexible enough to change mid-match", etc. Most clubs when they have been at elite level (winning PL/CL) have been associated with a fixed tactical framework used for the bulk of their matches, because they were good enough to beat everyone with it. Invincibles; Barca & Munich when they were on top of Europe; City & Liverpool now.

The constant switching of tactics tends to be when the manager is trying to make up for deficiencies and/or to try to outfox superior opposition, and that is indeed what Emery tried against Liverpool. In my opinion we will only be strong when we settle on a primary tactical framework ("Plan A") that is used for the bulk of the time, allowing players to gain full confidence in the system where the team gels and is much more than the sum of the parts. We're not there yet because we don't have Bellerin and Tierney available, but I think it obviously will be a 4-3-3. Inside fowards for the attacking line, overlapping full backs, and a CM with two players behind a CAM.

Weliveinacrazyworld

A very, very well known member
What do you guys think about this lineup?
Formation: 4-1-3-2

-Auba-Laca-
-Ceballos-Guendouzi-Pepe-
-Torreira-
-Tierney-Holding-Sokratis-Bellerin
-Leno-

(This is based on all our players being fit, so if this formation were to be played today, Tierney/Holding/Bellerin would be replaced by Kolasinac/Luiz/MaitlandNiles)

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Well thats not true, teams have first 11's that play majority of the games. Liverpool play Mane/Firminho/Salah every game they can there aren't games which are suitable for one or the other.

If Auba and Laca can't play together all the time then we need to get rid of one. Why put one of our most expensive players who's one of our highest earners on the bench?

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Emery's gonna be forced into playing him
BNJR.gif

Top Bottom