<

The tactics thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by say yes, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Well-Known Member

I think Willock can do it, but he's much better playing in a deeper role. The bigger question for me is why Emery insists on having that role when there is no player in the squad who is ideally suited to it.

2. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Pressing 10

Yuck

arsmile, BigPoppaPump and krackpot like this.
  3. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

Guess this means pressure, and opportunity, for Ceballos to adapt and adjust to filling that role (pressing #10).

4. ThlRama

ThlRama Well-Known Member

Well! Liverpool play with a pressing #9, if that makes you feel any better.

5. Divided_Pie

Divided_Pie Well-Known Member

Great post.

This is why I don't really care to watch Arsenal matches any more: "the structural creation of (low %) chances." Who wants to watch that? Moreover, why would any talented attacking player want to play in that system? I'm sure Pepe regrets coming here, we all know what has happened to Özil, and Auba even looks fed up at this point.

A couple of other points: "We press high in order to create turnovers in dangerous areas." I think Emery mainly does that to avoid putting Xhaka, Luiz, and Sokratis under pressure - he's playing Torreira up at #10 to counteract Xhaka's deficiencies. But also, having Xhaka dropping in to the backline is not a great solution anyway because he lacks defensive awareness, tackling ability, and makes rash decisions.

He's ruined numerous players because he refuses to play them to their strengths and stubbornly persists with his ego-driven "structural creation of low % chances" strategy that is a dubious strategy at best. This method of trying to manufacture goals makes sense for a team lacking in attacking talent that makes up for it with hustle and grit, but it has no place in a big club - it didn't at PSG and it certainly doesn't at Arsenal.

6. Iceman10

Iceman10 Well-Known Member

This is only AFTV, but surprisingly realistic and pragmatic when it comes to review of tactics after the home match against Bournemouth and an unexpected positive turn in outlook based on third place with one point off City (the major aberration being the two points dropped at Watford). Good points in there about ball carrying from the back to be significantly enhanced when we have Tierney, Bellerin, and Holding in, as well as what is being underestimated as to what we are missing up front with Laca out.

The realistic view is the performance against Bournemouth may well have been boring compared to Wenger days, and definitely was a match of two halves (one good, one not so good), but what may seem more on the boring and pragmatic side probably is reflective of a direction we are going to try to be more solid for when we play away matches.

On reflection, I would also say part of the problem is we went into the summer thinking solidifying our defence was the priority, but then we went and spent most of the transfer budget on Pepe, so people were obviously licking their lips anticipating explosive play up front that hasn't happened yet (Laca out, Pepe slow start) while ironically at the same time there are signs of tightening up at the back over the last 2-3 matches that everyone wanted to see after the end of last season.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  7. krackpot

krackpot Established Member

Great post.

Begs the question as to why Iwobi was sold then.

8. Ash10

Ash10 Jury Lite

Because he's crap

9. krackpot

Debatable. Plus he suited Emery's tactics to the T, so to speak.

As per @Toast post, Iwobi would be a guaranteed starter.

10. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

How about Laca as the pressing10?

He is good at pressing and winning the ball but when he does it from CF he is knackered and doesnt make it to the box and is often subbed

Dani (or Özil) can be creative from the wing and their pressing will suffice vs wingers and fullbacks...

Iceman10 and zilfy like this.
  11. zilfy

zilfy Well-Known Member

I like this idea, definitely worth trialling at some stage. That way you get to keep auba in his best position, have a midfielder that can actually score goals, and actually have a 10 that can feed the front 3 instead of this 3 dms bollocks.

Is his passing good enough for a 10 though?

12. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Saka will be a far superior player than Iwobi could ever hope for. Iwobi has found his level. He'll do well for Everton.

13. krackpot

Saka is very direct. Iwobi is more involved. Hope he does well.

I felt Iwobi was sold because he is a Wenger-style pass and move player.

14. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

Iwobi was sold because he offers feck all in end product and had done for a few years.

15. pigge

pigge Wishes Wrestling Fans Liked Him

Cant believe we got £30m Up to £37m for him lol.
    Well invested in saliba and martinelli. Elite business

say yes likes this.
  16. krackpot

The whole team was struggling.

He's not elite, but he was certainly in the Welbeck level

17. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

i'm glad we sold for that price, but to be fair to him i dont think he was developed in the correct position. he never had the pace nor end product to be a winger.

imo he was a very interesting player outside the final third: great ball carrier and could also play a through ball. if he had been developed as an advanced midfielder, i'd say he would have had a better chance to make it. he also wasnt as bad in terms of defense and work rate as some people have claimed historically (imo).

MutableEarth likes this.
  18. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

Interesting (if niche) read on how teams in the league like to play.

Along with Chelsea, we’re one of only two teams in the league absolutely determined to play out from the back at kickoff, rather than launching it for a 50-50 ball in the opponent’s half. Unlike Chelsea, it seems that we’re actually really good at it.

Tir Na Nog and GoonerJay24 like this.
  19. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Garrincha likes this.
  20. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado Trusted

Its a pretty dead position along with the slower wide CAM. Clubs just not moving for the likes of Özil, Ziyech, Fekir & Eriksen this summer even with the availability / low buyouts / short deals.

Hard to see it coming back either anytime soon.