• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The tactics thread

NZgunner

The last two performances have been incredibly encouraging, but for Leno's unfortunate error we could easily have won both games.

There were glimpses of it against Chelsea until we ran out of steam, but today I finally saw an Arsenal team that had some structure that I could recognise and an actual game plan.

There was actually some transitional play, the Xhaka/Torreira pairing were there in both defence and attack - I've been a harsh critic but I now want Xhaka to stay in Jan because I believe Arteta has a vision that could actually work with the current squad.

But most of all I loved seeing the manager and player reactions - Arteta already seems to have a personal relationship with each player and they seem to respond to him.

benjamin86

Established Member
I may be wrong, but didn’t Liverpool under klopp at the beginning used to be really good in the first half then tire? Now they can put it all together. Or was that Rodgers?
Know we are a wayyyyyyy long way off of that but it’s the pace and power era now... hopefully we can build to that
Current Liverpool still tend to play a 15-20minute blitz at the beginning of each half and then slow down a bit which is something i think we'll end up doing once we get the fitness levels high enough.

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

Current Liverpool still tend to play a 15-20minute blitz at the beginning of each half and then slow down a bit which is something i think we'll end up doing once we get the fitness levels high enough.
Yh... I just remember a period where it felt like they were always 3-0 up after 30mins and everyone was banging on about the key to beating them is standing firm in the first 30mins etc...
Might just be war flashbacks from our games at anfield though

benjamin86

Established Member
Yh... I just remember a period where it felt like they were always 3-0 up after 30mins and everyone was banging on about the key to beating them is standing firm in the first 30mins etc...
Might just be war flashbacks from our games at anfield though
Yeah they still do an early blitz but now they also maintain a good press throughout the match. I hope that's what we end up being able to do. We need to get to level of maintaining a good press for 90 minutes first.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Loved how compact both in depth and width we were today. When Manure tried to play through us around the box we often had 3 players surrounding the ball carrier. Cannot honestly recall an open shot they had. Very promising.

Also, when we transitioned into attack it wasn't by committing more than 4 players or less. So when play turned we had at least 6b players behind the ball except in a few instances. A huge difference to earlier.

Fallout

for the first time in a while, we can sit deep in a low block and not give up chance after chance. the spaces between center backs and strikers is so compact that it will take something special to break us down. lovely stuff.

Manberg

Predator
Our attackers didn’t give their fullbacks any space to even receive the ball. Think that was tactical.

Chaoz_Enigma

Speaking to RMC, Arsenal attacker Nicolas Pépé reflected on his side’s 2-0 victory over Manchester United.

“This one feels a lot better. We scored twice, we conceded zero goals. This will really do a lot for everyone’s confidence levels. We are doing a lot, a lot of video during training in order to perform well during the match. Today we performed well, we were solid defensively, we were good going forward.”

“It is all new for us. A new system, new instructions. We are adapting quickly. That has been seen in the last three matches, even though we did not win, we were very good, we were just missing the victory, which we were able to do tonight. We need to continue like this.”

“I had a discussion with the coach this morning and he told me I was going to start and asked if I felt ready and stuff like that. I told him I felt ready. I showed tonight that I was ready. As well, today it is my mother’s birthday, I score today, so it is only positive for me and the team.”

“Now we have to go on a run to get to this top 4 that we need to do.”
https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...e-doing-a-lot-a-lot-of-video-during-training/

I get that Emery also used a lot of video technologies, but I have a feeling that he could not get his message across with all the tinkering of formations and different personel changes. Arteta and his staffs seemed to use video technologies better to instil strategies for pressings and shape to his 4-2-3-1 formation.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I get that Emery also used a lot of video technologies, but I have a feeling that he could not get his message across with all the tinkering of formations and different personel changes. Arteta and his staffs seemed to use video technologies better to instil strategies for pressings and shape to his 4-2-3-1 formation.

Don't know if he did it here but Emery used to give his players usbs with videos to take home as homework. Hard to get behind something like that when the teams performing worse than when they didn't have to do that nonsense

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The fcuk can tactics do when your CMs cannot take the ball forward one step?!?

Ramsey did it all (albeit very briefly)
Cazorla could wiggle out of anything.
Wilshere was spinning Xavi around
Rosicky would just take off with either his passing or driblling.
Nasri was a bloody magician
Song used to find RvP every damn time

Now we have Torreira and Xhaka who couldn't get into the Newcastle first XI. We are left praying for a good pass from Luiz or Özil.

Our midfield is disgusting. We're not winning anything with them

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The fcuk can tactics do when your CMs cannot take the ball forward one step?!?

Ramsey did it all (albeit very briefly)
Cazorla could wiggle out of anything.
Wilshere was spinning Xavi around
Rosicky would just take off with either his passing or driblling.
Nasri was a bloody magician
Song used to find RvP every damn time

Now we have Torreira and Xhaka who couldn't get into the Newcastle first XI. We are left praying for a good pass from Luiz or Özil.

Our midfield is disgusting. We're not winning anything with them

Precisely. We're totally hamstrung by mediocre centre midfielders. People want a champion CB. We need competent CMs first.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Torreira and Xhaka both can't take the ball forward Torreira is ball winning midfielder you see when emery tried playing him in more advanced role he struggled because he can't play there. Xhaka is slow he can't run.

We can do that with Ceballos but he of course decided to became injured and bit s**t since joining us.

I think in summer we'll need 2 of those midfielders it going to help because we are likely to sell xhaka and send Ceballos back to real madrid that will leave us space to get 2 mid in.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Could this work...

Lucas
Ceballos-Niles
Pepe-Auba-Gabby
...I badly want to move away from both the 4-2-3-1, and Özil/Xhaka...this way we could have a three man midfield, with Lucas covering the spaces behind like he does for Uruguay...while getting pace up top, with no good dribblers either side of him to compensate for Auba limited on the ball game.

Like Niles at fullback even with his struggles, as I really worry about Bellerin after his injuries, but at least Niles would give us some power in the middle.

Bloodbather

Established Member

I think it could work if Ceballos comes back on form. He fits Arteta's style of play, so there's hope. I definitely would like to see AMN get a run at midfield, but I think it's highly unlikely.

Either way, I don't see Xhaka/Özil being cut from the starting eleven this season. Perhaps Ceballos can oust Özil if he gets on-form, but Xhaka is a mainstay for the rest of the season, surely.

The attacking trio should definitely happen though. It's a no brainer for me and I'm upset that we haven't really seen it thus far this season. Pépé and Martinelli looked to have chemistry against Sheffield.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Could this work...

Lucas
Ceballos-Niles
Pepe-Auba-Gabby
...I badly want to move away from both the 4-2-3-1, and Özil/Xhaka...this way we could have a three man midfield, with Lucas covering the spaces behind like he does for Uruguay...while getting pace up top, with no good dribblers either side of him to compensate for Auba limited on the ball game.

Like Niles at fullback even with his struggles, as I really worry about Bellerin after his injuries, but at least Niles would give us some power in the middle.

Looks terrible. Niles and Lucas are horrible going forward, whilst Ceballos has done nothing of note here as well. The front 3 are all poor on the ball.

Kick and hope lineup.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom