• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The tactics thread

Looks terrible. Niles and Lucas are horrible going forward, whilst Ceballos has done nothing of note here as well. The front 3 are all poor on the ball.

Kick and hope lineup.

Also why would we want

Gabriel-Agbonlahor_3019111.jpg

in the line up?

Camus

Trusted ⭐

Think this chart is more telling. Basically we either not fit enough or we need to better manage our 1st half expenditure. Because as it is this is a massive issue that's really biting us in the arse.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Think this chart is more telling. Basically we either not fit enough or we need to better manage our 1st half expenditure. Because as it is this is a massive issue that's really biting us in the arse.

We have no physical power in the midfield, and also little technical ability...so we can’t sustain a high press for long, but we also can’t keep the ball for long periods...basically we have the worst midfield in the league :lol:

Camus

Trusted ⭐
We have no physical power in the midfield, and also little technical ability...so we can’t sustain a high press for long, but we also can’t keep the ball for long periods...basically we have the worst midfield in the league :lol:
I think the lack of technical and passing ability is the main one. No team presses for +70 mins, at some point you're going to need to retain the ball. Even Liverpool do it.

zhaggy

Defensively we are somewhat better but offensively we are not clicking and the players really don't know what to do in the final third.
Feels like we are trying to open a lock with the wrong key almost every game and watching us play is like groundhog day. The inability to kill off games are costing us.

oh to be a goon

Against Bournemouth in the FA Cup this weekend I hope we can experiment a bit without Özil and Xhaka. I really really want to know what a midfield of
Guendouzi-Ceballos
Torreria
would look like with Arteta's new tactics and energy. We wouldn't get Xhaka's defensive work as a LCB, or Özil's occasional good through ball; but it should be capable of more forward drive than we are currently seeing.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Think we can still get something from this season if we made some bold changes. slight changes will not work because I think the team is really down, and we need a little kick up the backside. My suggestions:

1. Drop Willian: He's purely a bench player.

2. Pick AMN over Ceballos: Or convince AMN to play at RB. His athleticism is badly required.

3. Start passing to Auba: I'll just link the wonderful @Macho thread. https://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/arsenal-attacking-heatmaps-so-far-2020-21.34620/
Either we are not passing to him or doing something wrong.

4. Play Pepe more: And use Reiss as his sub. NOT Willian.

5. Rest Saka a bit: Arteta does get the youngsters right, but I still think Saka gets overplayed.

Other minor things I would do is to give Bellerin a wak-up talk, and give Saliba his debut...get it out of the way. Also, no Özil. otherwise he loses all his credibility.

What would you do do to freshen things up?

shoot for the top

Change the manager. At this point, if you don't understand how to organize your team to be better offensively than the 18th team rank team in the league, he needs to go.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The manager and the players are the issue, but the manager is the bigger issue as he sets his team out to do specific things and he picks the players.

Meritocracy - this doesn't exist. Shown by Willian playing after flying to Dubai. Shown by Willock not making the bench ahead of Cedric after a Motm performance. Shown by AMN not making the bench. Shown by Willian constantly starting ahead of Pepe.

Non negotiables- these don't exist. I have seen Willian not do his defensive work with my own two eyes. I have SEEN Xhaka take up shocking defensive positions, Bellerin repeatedly taking foul throws and not passing the ball to the right winger in front of him.

Questionable tactics- crosses into the box, in the air, with no aerial threat and no runner from midfield? Long throws by Tierney? Slow cumbersome set piece routines? Laca as a 10?

Man management- Pepe, Guendouzi, Saliba, Torreira, AMN. All players and situations he hasn't handled well and the next one will be Balogun. He will choose Eddie over him which is wrong in my opinion.

Favouritism- we will look at the line up today and not one surprise will be there. Laca will start. 2 of Elneny, Xhaka and Ceballos will play. Bellerin will play. Willian will play. AMN, Saliba, ESR, Nelson and Willock will not start.

None of the above will change unless we get a manager who values pressing, transition, playing young players, who isn't afraid to lose possession and will play players who can win the ball back.

When I look at the squad, we simply need 2 up front. We don't have a reliable 10. So we shouldn't play with one.

Auba----Pepe should be a front 2. Balogun, Martinelli, Nketiah and Lacazette all competing to be replace them.

I'd play a midfield 3 that releases Saka and Partey.

Saka------Partey
------Elneny

I'd play two wing backs.

Tierney left and AMN right.

I'd play a solid 3. With two CBS on the outside that can go into wide spaces.

Gabriel---Luiz--Saliba.

Gabriel, Saliba, Elneny, AMN, Pepe, Partey, Auba and Saka will all enjoy playing together.

Once there is stability you can slowly move to 4 at the back and an additional attacker in Martinelli if we buy correctly in January, ie. BISSOUMA.

The point is, people blame the players and say we need creative players, but there is so much Arteta can try systemically and play wise.

AMN gives you more in midfield than Ceballos and Xhaka. It's obvious.

Saliba would be better 1v1 than Holding. It's a fact.

Pepe would get goals closer to goal. He has demonstrated he can finish.

But Arteta will keep using Bellerin as our primary player who plays the final ball.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The manager and the players are the issue, but the manager is the bigger issue as he sets his team out to do specific things and he picks the players.

Meritocracy - this doesn't exist. Shown by Willian playing after flying to Dubai. Shown by Willock not making the bench ahead of Cedric after a Motm performance. Shown by AMN not making the bench. Shown by Willian constantly starting ahead of Pepe.

Non negotiables- these don't exist. I have seen Willian not do his defensive work with my own two eyes. I have SEEN Xhaka take up shocking defensive positions, Bellerin repeatedly taking foul throws and not passing the ball to the right winger in front of him.

Questionable tactics- crosses into the box, in the air, with no aerial threat and no runner from midfield? Long throws by Tierney? Slow cumbersome set piece routines? Laca as a 10?

Man management- Pepe, Guendouzi, Saliba, Torreira, AMN. All players and situations he hasn't handled well and the next one will be Balogun. He will choose Eddie over him which is wrong in my opinion.

Favouritism- we will look at the line up today and not one surprise will be there. Laca will start. 2 of Elneny, Xhaka and Ceballos will play. Bellerin will play. Willian will play. AMN, Saliba, ESR, Nelson and Willock will not start.

None of the above will change unless we get a manager who values pressing, transition, playing young players, who isn't afraid to lose possession and will play players who can win the ball back.

When I look at the squad, we simply need 2 up front. We don't have a reliable 10. So we shouldn't play with one.

Auba----Pepe should be a front 2. Balogun, Martinelli, Nketiah and Lacazette all competing to be replace them.

I'd play a midfield 3 that releases Saka and Partey.

Saka------Partey
------Elneny

I'd play two wing backs.

Tierney left and AMN right.

I'd play a solid 3. With two CBS on the outside that can go into wide spaces.

Gabriel---Luiz--Saliba.

Gabriel, Saliba, Elneny, AMN, Pepe, Partey, Auba and Saka will all enjoy playing together.

Once there is stability you can slowly move to 4 at the back and an additional attacker in Martinelli if we buy correctly in January, ie. BISSOUMA.

The point is, people blame the players and say we need creative players, but there is so much Arteta can try systemically and play wise.

AMN gives you more in midfield than Ceballos and Xhaka. It's obvious.

Saliba would be better 1v1 than Holding. It's a fact.

Pepe would get goals closer to goal. He has demonstrated he can finish.

But Arteta will keep using Bellerin as our primary player who plays the final ball.
interesting. My first observation with the new system is that we are trying to play a 4-4-2 system without the 2 strikers. :lol:

Maybe Arteta thinks that he is still at $ity where he had Sterling on one side and Mahrez on the other?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
interesting. My first observation with the new system is that we are trying to play a 4-4-2 system without the 2 strikers. :lol:

Maybe Arteta thinks that he is still at $ity where he had Sterling on one side and Mahrez on the other?

The thing is nothing will work until Partey comes back and he isn't playing AMN in midfield. So it's more of the same.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Thread: “What would you change?”

Me...

DeZdOrxW4AA6aBi.jpg

Reactions: roz

roz

Fake News Merchant
Sell Auba, Willian, Xhaka, Bellerin, Lacazette, Pepe, Mustafi, Luiz, Chambers, Willock, Sokratis.

Promote the decent Hale end boys to the first team and sign replacements for the players sold after assessing how well the youth do.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The thing is nothing will work until Partey comes back and he isn't playing AMN in midfield. So it's more of the same.

So our whole game relies on one player. A player who is new to the league? A player who has already played in 3 losses? No other team in the PL relies on 1 player. We won matches last season with no Partey.

We won the cup which got Arteta his time without Partey. Now it's like. Partey is the saving grace and if he doesnt player we should expect to lose. That's crap.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So our whole game relies on one player. A player who is new to the league? A player who has already played in 3 losses? No other team in the PL relies on 1 player. We won matches last season with no Partey.

We won the cup which got Arteta his time without Partey. Now it's like. Partey is the saving grace and if he doesnt player we should expect to lose. That's crap.

If you want to play in the opposition half and not sit deep and break then yeah, Partey is the only midfielder bar AMN that can handle a transition going forward and backwards.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom