• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-18s Thread

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Not sure how long Cozier-Duberry has been with the club tbf.
Yeah, is he a Hale Ender or someone we signed from outside?

Wow I've just seen that about Sydie (not Sydney, haha) Peck, signed with Sheffield United. Small boy with not much athleticism from the looks of it, so maybe we didn't see much top level potential in him.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I think there's a chance we keep both Azeez and Patino but it would require us to be somewhat clever about it. Issue is if they're both developed as 6s, then we might have to lose one. I agree, they really seem to take to Patino while Azeez - despite being very highly rated - doesn't seem to get the kind of reverence you'd expect a player of his quality to get. It really depends on how any of them acclimatise once given the spot. I think we'll lose Flores at some point, I'm quite sure about that. He's talented but you'd imagine they'll opt for Hutchinson due to him being less individualistic as a player.

I'd be cautious on forecasting regarding the current U18s - a lot of things can change and they seem to be a lot better than previously thought. I'm quite excited to see what happens with them, particularly someone like Cozier-Duberry.
Definitely think there will be a straight shootout For the number 6 spot between Azeez and Patino. I’ll be honest, I don’t really see it with Patino. Looks a good talent but not on the level of someone like Bate, who himself has had to leave Chelsea to go to Leeds for opportunities.

Azeez on the other hand is an absolute rolls Royce of player, not least when he fills out. Got the potential to absolutely dominate in that position and has a mix of everything. We will highly regret it if we let him leave

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yeah, is he a Hale Ender or someone we signed from outside?

Wow I've just seen that about Sydie (not Sydney, haha) Peck, signed with Sheffield United. Small boy with not much athleticism from the looks of it, so maybe we didn't see much top level potential in him.
As far as I know he's a Hale Ender but for how long I'm not sure. I know that Ibrahim was initially from QPR's system before coming to Hale End. We'll wait for that info to come out.

Peck IIRC had injury issues.

Definitely think there will be a straight shootout For the number 6 spot between Azeez and Patino. I’ll be honest, I don’t really see it with Patino. Looks a good talent but not on the level of someone like Bate, who himself has had to leave Chelsea to go to Leeds for opportunities.

Azeez on the other hand is an absolute rolls Royce of player, not least when he fills out. Got the potential to absolutely dominate in that position and has a mix of everything. We will highly regret it if we let him leave
Thing with Azeez is that he has just as much potential as an 8, such is the range of abilities for him.

Patino is one of those players though, he's a sleeper hit. I watched him last night play for the U23s and he looked like a superstar tbh.

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
As far as I know he's a Hale Ender but for how long I'm not sure. I know that Ibrahim was initially from QPR's system before coming to Hale End. We'll wait for that info to come out.

Peck IIRC had injury issues.

Thing with Azeez is that he has just as much potential as an 8, such is the range of abilities for him.

Patino is one of those players though, he's a sleeper hit. I watched him last night play for the U23s and he looked like a superstar tbh.
you watched patino irl?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
you watched patino irl?
I was going to, ended up buying a match pass to watch a stream instead as I had to work just before the game and wouldn't make it. Patino and Hutchinson were very impressive, as was Cozier-Duberry and Ibrahim. Richards had a mixed game. Everyone else kinda struggled as they were all rusty.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka

The only concern with Patino is his athleticism. Don't know if his technique is so high to make for it, especially in the EPL. Everything else about his game is solid. I think he is even close to 6ft. Very intelligent, just a natural out there making the game look easy. He is the one that truly looks like a 6, can't see him playing anywhere else. It's a good thing too as there will be no confusion in how he should develop. Just needs to work on his physique, improve defensive positioning and keep working on his distribution.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The only concern with Patino is his athleticism. Don't know if his technique is so high to make for it, especially in the EPL. Everything else about his game is solid. I think he is even close to 6ft. Very intelligent, just a natural out there making the game look easy. He is the one that truly looks like a 6, can't see him playing anywhere else. It's a good thing too as there will be no confusion in how he should develop. Just needs to work on his physique, improve defensive positioning and keep working on his distribution.
Cazorla, Fabregas, Nasri, Silva, Rosicky, Hleb does not have drogba strength or walcott pace. I’m sure if his technique and football IQ are good enough, he should be fine.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Cazorla, Fabregas, Nasri, Silva, Rosicky, Hleb does not have drogba strength or walcott pace. I’m sure if his technique and football IQ are good enough, he should be fine.
Except all the players you named played in more attacking roles bar maybe Cazorla for a while (and he had Coquelin holding his hand in that area)

Patino ideally be playing a more defensive role in the PL as a straight up 6 or DM. While his technical quality will be a huge plus in the position, he will need to be more physical to deal with some of the quicker, bigger attacking players and midfielders in the PL. The player himself acknowledges this, as has the club given the reports are that Patino has been on a personalised strength training regime for the better part of 9 months.

I'm less fussed about Patino being able to stand up physically to a more physical men's given that he did not look physically overpowered at any point in his match against Bromley, and that was a pretty cold game given he hasn't played football for a few months. Patino even has a bit of an aggressive streak and clearly does not have a problem wiping a player out if necessary, as evidenced by some of the naughty slide tackles he put in on Tuesday night. It may be that he needs a bit more acceleration but he protects the ball well enough and is very good at knowing where to be. It will be interested to see his continued development.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Except all the players you named played in more attacking roles bar maybe Cazorla for a while (and he had Coquelin holding his hand in that area)

Patino ideally be playing a more defensive role in the PL as a straight up 6 or DM. While his technical quality will be a huge plus in the position, he will need to be more physical to deal with some of the quicker, bigger attacking players and midfielders in the PL. The player himself acknowledges this, as has the club given the reports are that Patino has been on a personalised strength training regime for the better part of 9 months.

I'm less fussed about Patino being able to stand up physically to a more physical men's given that he did not look physically overpowered at any point in his match against Bromley, and that was a pretty cold game given he hasn't played football for a few months. Patino even has a bit of an aggressive streak and clearly does not have a problem wiping a player out if necessary, as evidenced by some of the naughty slide tackles he put in on Tuesday night. It may be that he needs a bit more acceleration but he protects the ball well enough and is very good at knowing where to be. It will be interested to see his continued development.
Then if he is playing a more defensive role, I hope he can take protein and go to the gym everyday. So that he can bulk up to become a destroyer type, allowing other technical players to shine.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Then if he is playing a more defensive role, I hope he can take protein and go to the gym everyday. So that he can bulk up to become a destroyer type, allowing other technical players to shine.
I don't think he needs to become a "destroyer". He will never be that player, but it is helpful for a player like Patino to encompass elements from both styles. This is important in terms of what I can see Arteta wants - multifaceted players who can do both the beautiful side of the game as well as the messy/dirty side. If a player as technically skilled as Patino is able to also dish it out physically, that can make him a formidable player to deal with for opponents.

Geofranco

Richards scoring again!

@Geofranco your boy! Having a good game, think he'll have a strong season next year.

This kid :lol:. He's becoming impossible to ignore, definitely gonna be the sleeper this year.

I am more hyped to watch U18 football than first team this year lol. Especially with the signings we have made so far not being all that impressive to me. Ben White looks a talent, but there is no guarantee that he becomes class. Spending all that money when the defense was actually pretty good last season doesn't make much sense, but oh well. Sagoe and Duberry are going to run riot this season.

Henry boi

Love what is going on with our academy, seems like some quality young players are coming through. I was really impressed by Jack Henry Francis's cameo he looks exactly like the type of midfielder we need, would people be surprised if he surpassed the likes of patino and got promoted to first team ahead of them?

Geofranco

Love what is going on with our academy, seems like some quality young players are coming through. I was really impressed by Jack Henry Francis's cameo he looks exactly like the type of midfielder we need, would people be surprised if he surpassed the likes of patino and got promoted to first team ahead of them?

You never know. Francis looks a bit more robust physically than Patino. I have faith in Patino, think he has a very good chance of making it here. I would say out of all the youngsters he has the best chance from his group cause of the position he plays. Very rare to find talented DLPs in academy football. Technically he is very good, first touch, link up, composure in tight spots. Always looks like he is thinking the game a step or two ahead. Really happy with the profile of players coming through. Even in defense, really rate Monlouis and Awe as CBs.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I am more hyped to watch U18 football than first team this year lol. Especially with the signings we have made so far not being all that impressive to me. Ben White looks a talent, but there is no guarantee that he becomes class. Spending all that money when the defense was actually pretty good last season doesn't make much sense, but oh well. Sagoe and Duberry are going to run riot this season.
Agreed. I'd love to see a front 3 of Cozier-Duberry, Sagoe Jnr and Richards. Could even move Sagoe Jnr central and put Kaleel Green in there - he's looked pretty impressive himself this preseason.

I'm much more intrigued by the U23s and U18s this year, even though none of them will touch first team this season - and I wasn't expecting to be because I was unsure this batch would be better than the last yet they already look very strong, especially with Dan Micciche as the helm (something I'd been hoping would happen). We're very lucky to have a strong academy but I really don't think we get as much out of it as we should - and yet again, we have a strong batch coming through. Mertesacker's recruitment has also been quite strong, even with the couple of U23 signings that hasn't worked out, the U18 recruitment has been superb so far. There should be at least a handful of players stepping up out of the current 1st and 2nd years. I'm preparing to be disappointed that there won't be.

Top Bottom