The Under-18s Thread

Discussion in 'The Arsenal Academy Page' started by Aevi, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

2. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Do you know anything about Marcelo Flores. Is he playing with u16 at the moment?

Why always 4 minute highlights? :rofl: So the game always have same amount of action? :lol:

3. MutableEarth

Don't know anything yet. Catalin Cirjan definitely looks good though. Considering he's been playing against adults since he was 14, I'm not that surprised - but I'm looking forward to seeing his development. I'll try to find that video of his clips.

The shortness of the clips is very annoying but that's the coverage so what can you do. I am gonna try and reach Emirates this week for the U23 game - should be a good match, although not sure how strong the team will be.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  4. Vanfrothan

Vanfrothan Member

There was an interview with Miguel Azeez in the Arsenal programme at the weekend - he's a confident boy isn't he?!

Q. Who from the academy will definitely make it?
    A: Me!

Q: Most skills in the locker?
    A: Kido

Q: Most two footed?
    A: Me and Kido.

Q: Most committed?
    A: Me!

Q: Most confident?
    A: Me.

Q: Best hidden talent?
    A: Me - I can break dance!

5. Vanfrothan

Vanfrothan Member

Bit sad hearing some of his answers though.

Q. Best friend in football?
    A: Yunus Musah

Q. Who do you combine best with?
    A: Yunus Musah

Still don't understand why Musah left to be honest. Can't believe a 16 year old would be that impatient to leave a club, who have a track record for giving academy players a go, so soon.

6. cannel

cannel Member

Valencia offer him exactly the same as Arsenal as well as the chance to learn a new language, experience another culture, meet new people and broaden his horizon in general. I'm surprised so many young players stay in the same academy for so long and don't switch every couple of years. At 20 they've spent three quarters of their life going to the same facilities, working with the same people, doing the same routine. I would definitely take the chance to switch it up from time to time. Even from a development standpoint it makes sense to try to incorporate different philosophies into your game.
    The only reason I see to stay put, is to increase your chance of actually breaking through. But if you're a top talent like Musah and reasonably sure you will break through wherever you play, there is really no reason to stick around.

7. MutableEarth

8. Geofranco

Geofranco Active Member

I like this kids technique. Good size on him too, could be a real threat.

9. MutableEarth

Heard hes a very good finisher. Has 2 goals in 2 sub appearances now so something to it. Seems comfy with the ball, good athletic presence. Very interesting - a name with little hype delivering.

Not quite got the results yet but I'm quite impressed with some of the players in this intake so far.

Geofranco likes this.
  10. Geofranco

Geofranco Active Member

It looks like a lot of the first year scholars in this group are really good technically.

Still most excited by Azeez because of the position he plays and his physical and athletic potential.

We simply don't have that many prospects playing the 6.

We have an abundance of attacking mids, wingers and forwards, but not many DMs, CBs or GKs of quality coming through the academy.

Really hopeful for Okonkwo to fulfill his potential.

Perfect size and athleticism for a GK, pretty good on the ball too.

Monlouise, the young CB looks pretty good too.

11. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

12. MutableEarth

Miguel Azeez turned 17 either today or yesterday. His first pro contract is imminent. I read before that its 3 years with an option for 2 year extension. Huge contract if true.

Undoubtedly the big name in the current scholar intake.

13. MutableEarth

Pretty bad loss against a team we likely would have beaten easily last season. Lot of 1st years not quite gelling to this level quite yet. Must take time to get going.