• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
Kabia for Lewis-Skelly is a terrible sub!

Great game from Lewis-Skelly though. Class all round

blake shelton shrug GIF by The Voice

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Heavens is class

@MutableEarth first team chances? What do you think?
Not sure yet to be honest. He's a very well rounded talent though. Big, strong, exceptional technique for his size and plays defence and midfield. Think the club also like him considering how quickly he's already become a starter for the U21s despite being a 1st year. He's the same age group as Nwaneri and Lewis-Skelly.

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
Not sure yet to be honest. He's a very well rounded talent though. Big, strong, exceptional technique for his size and plays defence and midfield. Think the club also like him considering how quickly he's already become a starter for the U21s despite being a 1st year. He's the same age group as Nwaneri and Lewis-Skelly.

Looks really good for his age, we're stacked in defence tho, will be hard for him. He plays nr 6 in midfield?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Looks really good for his age, we're stacked in defence tho, will be hard for him. He plays nr 6 in midfield?
6 or 8. I think Lewis-Skelly might be locking down 6 based on todays game. It's the best he's looked there. Winning the ball, putting out fires and - more importantly - distributing the ball with excellent dexterity. Heaven for me, his best shot is either left 8 (which they don't seem to want to develop him there) or as a left sided defender (which he's adapting to really well).

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
6 or 8. I think Lewis-Skelly might be locking down 6 based on todays game. It's the best he's looked there. Winning the ball, putting out fires and - more importantly - distributing the ball with excellent dexterity. Heaven for me, his best shot is either left 8 (which they don't seem to want to develop him there) or as a left sided defender (which he's adapting to really well).

For sure I agree with you about LS. It also allows him to use his spee and ball progression to beat the press, like Rice does at times.

First time I saw Heaven tho, have heard about him and he really impressed. Hopefully he can make it here, still young for a defender, needs a loan next season. When was the last time we had defender come from the academy to the first team? Adams?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
For sure I agree with you about LS. It also allows him to use his spee and ball progression to beat the press, like Rice does at times.

First time I saw Heaven tho, have heard about him and he really impressed. Hopefully he can make it here, still young for a defender, needs a loan next season. When was the last time we had defender come from the academy to the first team? Adams?
Probably Ashley Cole. Could put Kieran Gibbs in the conversation, he had some longevity.

It has been a while though, and we do have a glaring lack in that department - even though there have been improvements. Ballard, McGuinness, Awe and Monlouis all very decent defenders. Walters also had a good game today and he's got the ability to be very good. Heaven has a good mentality though, and the physical frame to go with his technical quality.

Lewis-Skelly for me has a future as a 6 or an 8 depending on how he wants to shape his game. Given how well he played today, I'm leaning towards 6. Yes he can dribble but he can still do that from deep where possible. I really liked his use of the ball today.

TH14shahriar

A gentle soul
Probably Ashley Cole. Could put Kieran Gibbs in the conversation, he had some longevity.

It has been a while though, and we do have a glaring lack in that department - even though there have been improvements. Ballard, McGuinness, Awe and Monlouis all very decent defenders. Walters also had a good game today and he's got the ability to be very good. Heaven has a good mentality though, and the physical frame to go with his technical quality.

Lewis-Skelly for me has a future as a 6 or an 8 depending on how he wants to shape his game. Given how well he played today, I'm leaning towards 6. Yes he can dribble but he can still do that from deep where possible. I really liked his use of the ball today.

Damn forgot about them, it's been a while.

I've heard about Monlouis, he's supposed to be really good. Among all our defenders, who do you think has the highest chance of breaking into the first team?

Lewis-Skelly would probably, based on his qualities, fit as a hybrid 6/8, like Rice. We'll see; I've seen too little of him to know if he's truly that versatile. The club might want him to develop in both positions, as we know Arteta likes versatile players.

Based on today's game, we can at least conclude that the club is making a big mistake if Nwaneri isn't in the senior team next season and given a chance. The guy is ready; if you're good enough, age doesn't matter.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Damn forgot about them, it's been a while.

I've heard about Monlouis, he's supposed to be really good. Among all our defenders, who do you think has the highest chance of breaking into the first team?

Lewis-Skelly would probably, based on his qualities, fit as a hybrid 6/8, like Rice. We'll see; I've seen too little of him to know if he's truly that versatile. The club might want him to develop in both positions, as we know Arteta likes versatile players.

Based on today's game, we can at least conclude that the club is making a big mistake if Nwaneri isn't in the senior team next season and given a chance. The guy is ready; if you're good enough, age doesn't matter.
Oh, he's that versatile. Both Lewis-Skelly and Nwaneri are making a pretty decent case for themselves. This is the first time I've seen Lewis-Skelly really control from front to back from deep since the Newcastle game last season.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Lewis-Skelly had a tough game in the highlights. Can put it down to him to an extent but I feel a large part of it is that he's not a bloody full back. Hopefully that kills the experiment dead.

On the plus side, another worldie from Nwaneri!

Henry and Bergkamp would be proud

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
It's a quality strike. Reminds me of Wilshere's worldie against West Ham all those years back in 2008. Nwaneri is a player who can provide real moments of brilliance at the drop of a hat. I hope he continues that trend as a first team player.
There is just so much you can do with Nwaneri. Watching him and it's obvious he has not even scratched the surface of his potential, scary stuff. And yes, the Lewis Skelly fullback experiment needs to end lol. I thought it might be a good thing just to give him more first team opportunities as a teenager, but after his performance against Sp**s playing as a 6, it'll be a shame not to give him more opportunities to master that position. Kinda like when Pep used to play Yaya Toure as a defender for Barcelona.

Top Bottom