• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Well, well, well. The club has sacked Steve Bould. No disrespect, he's been an immense servant for the club, but he wasn't quite the right man to get the most out of the promising talent we have. Results are important as I see it, for team bonding, memories, and helping to retain the key talent we want to retain. Both ESR and Saka built such memories with a good cup run, for example.

Replacement TBD, appointment to be decided by Per Mertesacker.
Bigger concern was the prioritising of the older players who weren't that good. Akinola played every game this season and he was very hit and miss. Liked his hustle but he was very flaky on the ball. Those were minutes that could have been given to someone like Mauro Bandeira. Jack Henry-Francis isn't as physically capable but he would have been a more creative option given his unprecedented rise.

The next U23 manager has to prioritise the better talents - they also need to loan out the players who have nothing to gain from that level.

Iceman10

Established Member
Jeorge Bird's take ("the right decision"), two key paragraphs in the meat of the write-up quoted below, but worth reading in full. Definitely, giving key talent regular roles in U-23 matches next season is part of it, which means the older players have to be moved on (or loaned out).

The reality is, though, that Arsenal needed to make a change in terms of their U23 coach. The current crop of U18s, the likes of Charlie Patino, Omari Hutchinson, Marcelo Flores, Brooke Norton-Cuffy and many more, have already received fleeting experience of U23 football and are set to be more heavily involved at that level next season.

In order to get the best of them they need a coach who prioritises the free-flowing football that this group of players is capable of producing. Academy manager Per Mertesacker has had to be ruthless, but he has made the correct call. Attention will now turn to the search for Bould’s successor, but that is a debate for another day. If Arsenal are looking to make an internal appointment, though, then Dan Micciche, the current coach of the U15s who was previously part of the England setup and has experience of coaching at senior level, could be an option. Ryan Garry, who has been assistant coach for the U23s in recent years, could also be considered.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I won't be surprised Per get pormoted to more important role with first team in future or go and become DOF in another so far his appointments look very good and players he sending on loan is working great i'm liking what i'm seeing from him. not surprised tho he very hardworking and smart guy.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
2 very interesting appointments. Will see what effects that will have going forward!

With Micciche set to finally take charge of the U18s and Gillard or Garry presumably taking over the U23s, this could prove to be a very fruitful season and the start of a prosperous era for the academy. Key word being 'could' - gotta wait to see how this pans out.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Some noise coming out of Yorkshire that Huddersfield might be looking at Cottrell for a loan. Mostly just local newspaper talk, but considering how well it turned out for ESR, I think it would be worth considering.

Huddersfield is full of cloggers at the moment, so there would be good opportunities for a technical player.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Some noise coming out of Yorkshire that Huddersfield might be looking at Cottrell for a loan. Mostly just local newspaper talk, but considering how well it turned out for ESR, I think it would be worth considering.

Huddersfield is full of cloggers at the moment, so there would be good opportunities for a technical player.
That'd be a great move for Cottrell! Let's hope that one pans out.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Taylor-Hart still hasn't signed a new contract, right?

Probably won't happen otherwise it would have already happened?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Taylor-Hart still hasn't signed a new contract, right?

Probably won't happen otherwise it would have already happened?
Someone on Twitter who's slightly more aware on the situation suggested that he/his reps are stalling. Definitely had their heads turned, probably being offered a quicker pathway to first team football. Taylor-Hart would have his work cut out to get into the plans of Arteta so that will definitely factor in.

teamsoutheast

Would be a very good move for him especially in the physical Championship, but for me, he just seems a little too lightweight at the moment. He needs to fill ouit a bit more.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Someone on Twitter who's slightly more aware on the situation suggested that he/his reps are stalling. Definitely had their heads turned, probably being offered a quicker pathway to first team football. Taylor-Hart would have his work cut out to get into the plans of Arteta so that will definitely factor in.

I know that he is physically strong and technically gifted. I get the impression that he is intelligent as well, as he can play multiple positions.

It's a tough one. I don't think any other big club in England has the pathway we do. I'd like for him to sign and get a shot in the cups, of he takes it he has a chance. He can look to Saka, Nketiah, Balogun and ESR and inspiration. I think he will always have the chance to forge a good career even if it doesn't work out like Nelson, but Arsenal is a pretty good place to be if you are a talented academy player. The Amaechi route is always a possibility.

I hope he signs. He seems like someone who can take the ESR trajectory.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I know that he is physically strong and technically gifted. I get the impression that he is intelligent as well, as he can play multiple positions.

It's a tough one. I don't think any other big club in England has the pathway we do. I'd like for him to sign and get a shot in the cups, of he takes it he has a chance. He can look to Saka, Nketiah, Balogun and ESR and inspiration. I think he will always have the chance to forge a good career even if it doesn't work out like Nelson, but Arsenal is a pretty good place to be if you are a talented academy player. The Amaechi route is always a possibility.

I hope he signs. He seems like someone who can take the ESR trajectory.
Me too, I have high hopes for Taylor-Hart. I think Nelson leaving is a strong possibility so there is an opportunity for Taylor-Hart to stake a claim in the smaller games. He is physically more capable than Nelson and while I think Nelson has the slight edge technically, Taylor-Hart certainly does not lack in that area, he has the exact right blend. He may succeed where Nelson unfortunately hasn't so from that POV it should be of importance to keep him around. I think it depends on their plans for him and how the squad is built more than anything. There's a LOT of interest in him so will need to give him an incentive.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom