• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Had huge expectations of azeez. But going on loan to Ibiza at this stage doesn't look promising.
Well his last loan was in the Championship so it's a step up. I don't think it's a poor loan, hopefully he really stands out there, if he doesn't then we should be worried. Given his play style he should've been loaned here to Spain initially IMO, Ibiza loan instead of the Portsmouth one would've made a lot more sense and he'd probably be farther along in his development.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Well his last loan was in League One so it's a step up. I don't think it's a poor loan, hopefully he really stands out there, if he doesn't then we should be worried. Given his play style he should've been loaned here to Spain initially IMO, Ibiza loan instead of the Portsmouth one would've made a lot more sense and he'd probably be farther along in his development.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Makes me wonder, why on earth did we send out so many U23's out on loan this window too? Looking at our U23 list, I'd say we have more out on loan then we do in general for this year. Okonkwo, Azeez, Biereth, TJJ, Flores, Patino just to name a few. Pretty disappointing tbh.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Makes me wonder, why on earth did we send out so many U23's out on loan this window too? Looking at our U23 list, I'd say we have more out on loan then we do in general for this year. Okonkwo, Azeez, Biereth, TJJ, Flores, Patino just to name a few. Pretty disappointing tbh.
Nah I'm happy with that. Most of these guys need first team football asap they're above u21s.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Why couldn't we keep Azeez & Patino at least & give them a bit of game time & experience in the Cup competitions this year?
Honestly would it be enough? They'll get 6 games tops and then continue to play U21 football where they have nothing to gain anymore. I'd be in support of the idea if I believed Arteta would actually give them significant time. They're better off playing at least 20-30 consistent games.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Why couldn't we keep Azeez & Patino at least & give them a bit of game time & experience in the Cup competitions this year?
I think Patino could have a very fruitful loan at Blackpool. He was unfortunate to be injured, but he'll play a lot of games in the Championship.

That would probably be a lot more valuable than the 15 minutes here and there at Arsenal.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So the u21s beat Blackburn 4-1 today, a significant victory for an exciting team that included Bandeira, Henry-Francis, Sagoe jr, Cozier-Duberry, Butler-Oyedeji and Nwaneri on his debut (at 15!!!). Nwaneri got an assist for Butler-Oyedeji while Cozier-Duberry, Sagoe Jr and Henry-Francis got the other goals.

Afro Mugo

If anyone deserves to get 1st team cameos this season, it's one of Lino Sousa or Amario Cozier-Duberry. I could see Matt Smith or Jack Henry-Francis getting a shot with the injuries but based potential, form and talent, it's gotta be one of the two I named.
Hehe interesting that Reuell Walters has almost being forgotten about. We are in a weird spot whereby in Europe we'll have to pick one of Sousa or Walters as both can't qualify yet for an u21 spot due to not being in the club for over 2 years yet they are the two who I feel are the most ready and deserving (excluding Smith). I think Sagoe Jr might get the nod before ACD ; both have been equally impressive this season.

Afro Mugo

Plays the most difficult position on the pitch. Likely still another 2-3 years away from being able to play the position at the highest level and another 2 years away from being standard we need.

Can easily see him being a player who leaves Arsenal then reappears on everyones radar in 5 or so years time.
Totally agree. In addition, he is a victim of his own ability. As Cowley pointed out he's technical ability is probably PL standard but off the ball work, which he probably never needed to do much needs a lot of refining, so he needs a place which will allow his technique to take precedence as he learns. I can never rule out a player making it but it will only get harder for him. The academy is churning out a lot of talent each year. Azeez is to me what Reiss is to @MutableEarth . His arch nemesis from u17 euros Lucien Agoume is only starting to get his ground in Ligue 1 though has 63 games of top flight football. Musah has almost played 100 games in La liga so he's lagging behind. But I have faith. All he needs is one decent season in men's football and I'm hoping this loan does that because in terms of pure technical ability he's up there with the best Hale End has produced.

Afro Mugo

So the u21s beat Blackburn 4-1 today, a significant victory for an exciting team that included Bandeira, Henry-Francis, Sagoe jr, Cozier-Duberry, Butler-Oyedeji and Nwaneri on his debut (at 15!!!). Nwaneri got an assist for Butler-Oyedeji while Cozier-Duberry, Sagoe Jr and Henry-Francis got the other goals.
Nwaneri might be with the first team pre season at this rate. The club is really pushing him higher and higher because all the hyenas are sniffing around for him. Playing for Arsenal u21s at 15 is incredible though.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard

For those you have mentioned above, youth level football is waaaaay too easy for them. If they are to make it into the first team, they need to play at a more competitive level (Mens football). They need to learn how to fight for their place in a first team environment. If they can prove they can do this in another team and show the mentality required to work hard, then they have taken a step closer to playing full time mens football. For alot of these guys it won't necessarily be at Arsenal but as long as we churn out top level players who can hold their own in the championship and premier league level, that for me will be a success story. It's also a footballing education to prepare them for life in professional football.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nwaneri might be with the first team pre season at this rate. The club is really pushing him higher and higher because all the hyenas are sniffing around for him. Playing for Arsenal u21s at 15 is incredible though.
The word was that he was going to Liverpool this Summer. But yeah, he might be the truth for real. Just waiting to see what happens with Lewis-Skelly. Just as highly-rated but battling injury issues very early on. Nwaneri though already making a splash for himself at this level is unprecedented though. Even the likes of Wilshere and Nelson were 16 (albeit still schoolboys). Nwaneri is solidly 15 years old and will barely be 16 when he becomes a scholar next year. It's incredibly early for a player of his age to not only be starting at U21 level but to be contributing to goals and dealing with greater physicality (against Blackburn no less, a very physical U21 outfit) without much issue bodes extremely well. We absolutely HAVE to try and keep him at least until he is ready for 1st team football, where we can assess his development further.

Hehe interesting that Reuell Walters has almost being forgotten about. We are in a weird spot whereby in Europe we'll have to pick one of Sousa or Walters as both can't qualify yet for an u21 spot due to not being in the club for over 2 years yet they are the two who I feel are the most ready and deserving (excluding Smith). I think Sagoe Jr might get the nod before ACD ; both have been equally impressive this season.
Yeah forgot about those two. Don't know how serious Walters' injury is, hopefully he's back soon. I like James Sweet but Walters is as solid as they come. It's interesting because I think Sagoe Jr has been one of the strongest players so far in the early stages of this term. It's conceivable that they'll do something with him as he has everything an Arsenal attacker needs IMO. Definitely a darkhorse and a player who's really capable of moments in high pressure situations. I'm also hopeful about Taylor-Hart given we have opted to keep him here. That said, I'm really anxious to see what they do with Cozier-Duberry. To me, he's become an integral player at this level, he's aced every game he's played so far and should be starting regularly. If there's anyone I'd give a cameo to at the minute, it's him.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

@MutableEarth what do you make of Amario Cozier. He looks to be the youngster I think transition the best to senior football. Unlike Saka I think this guy is a nr 8. Reminds me of Santiago with his touch and control

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
@MutableEarth what do you make of Amario Cozier. He looks to be the youngster I think transition the best to senior football. Unlike Saka I think this guy is a nr 8. Reminds me of Santiago with his touch and control
I think his small frame will likely be used against him but I think he's shown a resilient enough mentality, a great deal of energy and acceleration as well as excellent technical ability and versatility. I think he's likely to play at a pretty high level and I'd like to see him get a few opportunities for us at Arsenal.

I like him as a #8 aswell. Modern day wingers have to have a bit more running power these days, and while Cozier-Duberry is a great dribbler and is capable of end product as he's shown so far this season, he's a player who's extremely useful in the middle 3rd. There's a lot you can do with a player like him. I'm quite a big fan of both him and Sagoe Jr, they not only have ability but the mentality to make an imprint on games, especially in pressure moments.

I can't really speak on any transition until it happens but of most of the youngsters still in the U21 setup, he's one of the very best.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I think his small frame will likely be used against him but I think he's shown a resilient enough mentality, a great deal of energy and acceleration as well as excellent technical ability and versatility. I think he's likely to play at a pretty high level and I'd like to see him get a few opportunities for us at Arsenal.

I like him as a #8 aswell. Modern day wingers have to have a bit more running power these days, and while Cozier-Duberry is a great dribbler and is capable of end product as he's shown so far this season, he's a player who's extremely useful in the middle 3rd. There's a lot you can do with a player like him. I'm quite a big fan of both him and Sagoe Jr, they not only have ability but the mentality to make an imprint on games, especially in pressure moments.

I can't really speak on any transition until it happens but of most of the youngsters still in the U21 setup, he's one of the very best.

I feel this patch of youngsters are better than the last 1-2 years in Flores and Omari physically. You look at saka and Martinelli and compare to Nelson and Omari you can see why the first two suits mens football much better. I also like sagoe

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Look at Cozier-Duberrys performance here. Wow!

Nwaneri with a great ball for the 2nd. Definitely doesn't look out of place. Sagoe Jr constantly dangerous. Liked the look of Bandeira aswell.

I want to see more of this particular team. Bandeira and Henry-Francis together should be a decent watch along with that front 4.

Top Bottom