• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

Afro Mugo

Bandeira has looked good any time I watch him. I like his profile. Athletic and powerful and has good technical ability. Unfortunately he seems so injury prone.
Maybe I'm a bit harsh on him but the kid has a lot of talent but I feel he only shows 80 percent of it each game. I think his injury record has been good past two seasons which may be a good sign that previous injuries were just growing issues.

Afro Mugo

Cirjan still very talented. As technical as any of them, unfortunate for him to have that long-term injury. U21 have been very impressive this season. Still say my favs from this group are Awe, Monlouis, Sagoe and Duberry.
One credit I'll give Per and Hobbs is that they've been very good in their coaching appointees especially for the under 21s. From Ljungberg to Betsy to now Ali who impresses me a lot in his interviews and the u21 really play some good football , a lot like the first team

Tom349

This kid is ridiculous. Nwaneri may have most of the attention right now but I think MLS is the crown jewel. Not that I'm a fan of pitting young players against one another just that now he is fit and playing again I think he is the most likely to be given the senior opportunities.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

This kid is ridiculous. Nwaneri may have most of the attention right now but I think MLS is the crown jewel. Not that I'm a fan of pitting young players against one another just that now he is fit and playing again I think he is the most likely to be given the senior opportunities.
Well they are in direct competition. So they are pitted against each other. Unless we trying to make him a left back

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Well they are in direct competition. So they are pitted against each other. Unless we trying to make him a left back
Nwaneri looks like a 10 to me. Can also play as a false 9. Who knows, may even develop into a CF.

Geofranco

So he is in direct competition with Patino then?
I believe Skelly and Patino can complement each other in midfield. But Skelly would have to be great off ball cause Patino is so slow. Think Skelly can develop as a 6 or as an 8, box to box monster. As a 6 he'll have to improve his passing range, positioning, timing and touch. Very exciting prospect can't wait to see how things turn out.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I believe Skelly and Patino can complement each other in midfield. But Skelly would have to be great off ball cause Patino is so slow. Think Skelly can develop as a 6 or as an 8, box to box monster. As a 6 he'll have to improve his passing range, positioning, timing and touch. Very exciting prospect can't wait to see how things turn out.
Don’t think Patino has a future here. As you said he is too slow. Good player and can make a career in the PL.

Geofranco

Don’t think Patino has a future here. As you said he is too slow. Good player and can make a career in the PL.
Patino is still just 19. He has a feel for the game you can't really teach. It's just natural for him.

The fact that he is playing in championship as a teenager in the most difficult position and everything already goes through him shows you what type of talent he is.

He has been pretty sloppy since he came back from injury with his passing, but I believe it's a combination of the system of the team he plays for, not very talented teammates on the same wavelength as him. In terms of timing, touch and instincts. He has even improved his physicality.

Most midfielders like him will need a lot of patience, but I def believe he has the raw talent to make it here.

Look at Xhaka for years he looked pretty mediocre cause of the system he was playing in and players around him.

You put him in a position that hides his weaknesses and put better players around him and now he looks much more dynamic.

Geofranco

Nwaneri has a touch of class to him. He just moves different. I haven't seen that touch since young Wilshere and Chris Willock. Nwaneri looks like a pretty laid back guy, so maybe it will take him some time to get comfortable playing U21 games and imposing himself. Skelly seems to have that dog in him. Loves to assert himself and dominate the game with his physicality. They both complement each other very well and are always looking to link up and play intricate little combo passes with each other. You can tell Skelly understands Nwaneri's movement very well.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Nwaneri has forward written all over him IMO. He can defo play as an 8 but he's so decisive in the final 3rd and approach.

Agree re Lewis Skelly aswell, he loves to compete. He's a player you can't help but notice, even more so than the effortlessly poised Nwaneri. I see no reason to compare them, they're both superstar talents IMO.

Geofranco

Aren't we poised to lose Nwaneri?
Possibly. Depending on his parents and also if another top team gives him a crazy contract with incentives that he will get a certain amount of playing time with the first team. Honestly I can only see Liverpool as the big threat. Don't think young talents are going to want to head to man United in their current state. Maybe Man City, but I don't see him getting the opportunities to breakthrough there. Think it's best for him to stay here. Arteta is building a pretty solid team with lots of young players. He can look at Saka, Martinelli, ESR and see all the opportunities they have gotten. If you're talented, hard working, smart, versatile and make good decisions, Arteta will give you a chance. And I believe Nwaneri has all the right attributes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Narrow loss for the U21 team vs Stevenage tonight. They're near the top of League 2 so this was a performance with some encouragement. I, being the nerd I am, bought the match pass for a tenner to watch on iFollow so I could watch on my way home while travelling.

Notable things:

- Matt Smith was really good; he really should not be playing at this level. Needs to be playing competitive football ASAP. Looks very much an EFL player at least. I would let him go this coming window. No need for him to stay. Shame to leave without so much as an appearance but he should be playing proper football

- The defence conceded 3 (the winner was a long-range goal) but I thought they were OK. Sousa and Walters did well despite being attacked often and Awe was easily the stronger of the 2 CBs. Could have done way better on the set pieces though, which is where we conceded the other 2 goals.

- Cozier-Duberry was our MOTM, got a goal and assist (for Butler-Oyedeji, who was also impressive, will get to him). He really is one of the best players in this U21 team and should be one of the first in line to get opportunities now. Sagoe Jr had his moments aswell. Interesting that Taylor-Hart didn't feature off the bench. His stock has unfortunately fallen post-injury and he needs a loan more than anybody I think. Ideho also came on and I didn't think he was very good. Talented but blunt, which could also have described another player I'm about to mention;

- Butler-Oyedeji. Might be the most improved player in the U21 squad. In Khayon Edwards' absence, he's been very impressive upfront, doing a lot of good hold up play and getting on the end of things aswell and scoring goals.

- Nwaneri and Lewis-Skelly came on a little too late in my opinion and didn't get to influence the game much. I'd be interested to see how much potency we had if they had started. Henry-Francis was decent but struggled with the physicality. Bandeira did fine in the duels but his touch was often heavy. Both good players but I wonder how long it'll be before Lewis-Skelly and Nwaneri are both knocking on the door - same with Bradley Ibrahim, who's looked very impressive when I've watched him.

Geofranco

Narrow loss for the U21 team vs Stevenage tonight. They're near the top of League 2 so this was a performance with some encouragement. I, being the nerd I am, bought the match pass for a tenner to watch on iFollow so I could watch on my way home while travelling.

Notable things:

- Matt Smith was really good; he really should not be playing at this level. Needs to be playing competitive football ASAP. Looks very much an EFL player at least. I would let him go this coming window. No need for him to stay. Shame to leave without so much as an appearance but he should be playing proper football

- The defence conceded 3 (the winner was a long-range goal) but I thought they were OK. Sousa and Walters did well despite being attacked often and Awe was easily the stronger of the 2 CBs. Could have done way better on the set pieces though, which is where we conceded the other 2 goals.

- Cozier-Duberry was our MOTM, got a goal and assist (for Butler-Oyedeji, who was also impressive, will get to him). He really is one of the best players in this U21 team and should be one of the first in line to get opportunities now. Sagoe Jr had his moments aswell. Interesting that Taylor-Hart didn't feature off the bench. His stock has unfortunately fallen post-injury and he needs a loan more than anybody I think. Ideho also came on and I didn't think he was very good. Talented but blunt, which could also have described another player I'm about to mention;

- Butler-Oyedeji. Might be the most improved player in the U21 squad. In Khayon Edwards' absence, he's been very impressive upfront, doing a lot of good hold up play and getting on the end of things aswell and scoring goals.

- Nwaneri and Lewis-Skelly came on a little too late in my opinion and didn't get to influence the game much. I'd be interested to see how much potency we had if they had started. Henry-Francis was decent but struggled with the physicality. Bandeira did fine in the duels but his touch was often heavy. Both good players but I wonder how long it'll be before Lewis-Skelly and Nwaneri are both knocking on the door - same with Bradley Ibrahim, who's looked very impressive when I've watched him.
I just don't have any time for players like Ideho and George Lewis. Simply not talented enough and not even intelligent players either.

I know Monlouis is just returning from injury, but surprised he didn't start. I always like what I have seen from Ibrahim.

Looks pretty technical and languid. I agree on Matt Smith, he literally gains nothing from playing these games.

I feel he is at least good enough for championship. Dude has good vision and passing technique.

Henry Francis is also another one clearly not talented enough. He tries hard, but natural talent comes first, and he just doesn't have enough of it.

Wish Nwaneri and Skelly actually started this game, especially against a good league 2 side.

I also want to see Nwaneri, Sagoe and Duberry link up. Taylor Hart is a weird case. Injuries obviously have affected his progress like it did for Trae Coyle, but even when healthy, it just feels like he isn't maximizing his talent.

For instance, Saka in the academy, you could see he knew what he was good at and did everything to maximize it consistently.

Hart has size, agility, explosiveness and very good technique on the ball, plus he is clearly a winger.

Looks like a EPL level talent to me if he puts everything together and stays healthy, but it prob won't be at Arsenal.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Notable things:

You don’t think Cozier Duberrys size will be an issue? I’m starting to think he is a player who will have to play his trade abroad

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You don’t think Cozier Duberrys size will be an issue? I’m starting to think he is a player who will have to play his trade abroad
I think his stature being a factor is largely overstated. He's faced bigger and faster opponents all season and still been a consistent threat. Even last night, his goal was against one of the strongest teams in League 2. I think the PL will obviously be much harder if he plays at that level but I'm more confident than perhaps I would have been had I not been watching him this season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom