• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Considering the cost of players these days, if you can get one academy prospect to the first team, every second year, that is a very good return. If you then add on the benefits of providing young people with a career at other clubs, it should not be hard to make the case for the academy.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

One of our best prospects, plays across the backline but nominally a RB/CB hybrid, similar to Ben White currently. Very versatile, strong technically and very rarely beaten 1v1.
High praise indeed! If he is anything like Mr. White we have a gem! Hope to see him play for the first team soon!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Considering the cost of players these days, if you can get one academy prospect to the first team, every second year, that is a very good return. If you then add on the benefits of providing young people with a career at other clubs, it should not be hard to make the case for the academy.
Think the academy needs to be one of our main pipelines for real quality players. I'd love if we can become fairly self-sustaining when it comes to at least part of the players on our first team. The bragging rights in themselves are almost worth it! ;)

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

It’s about trust. Being academy player in big clubs is disadvantage. Many clubs have the grass is greener on the other side approach and for a lot of younger players it’s better to come through a smaller club academy and get to first team.

Ciscoo

It’s about trust. Being academy player in big clubs is disadvantage. Many clubs have the grass is greener on the other side approach and for a lot of younger players it’s better to come through a smaller club academy and get to first team.

Yes and no. I think you’re unlikely to develop a player like Saka outside of a top academy tbh. He’s clearly someone who benefitted from a big club’s coaching philosophy.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
1-1 at HT. We're passing the ball SO SLOWLY 🐌

Everton very athletic and powerful but not that much else. Our CBs look good and Sousa is having a good game. Cottrell scored a pen but I think he's been disappointing compared to the other 2 midfielders. Cozier-Duberry and Sagoe Jr have way too much to do and aren't getting chances to shoot. Edwards barely touched the ball. Our attack been too slow.

We don't have Nwaneri or Lewis-Skelly for this sadly. They'd have been perfect but alas. Smith and Bandeira are on the bench. Bandeira might be needed. Hopefully we get to see Kamara 2nd half aswell. We need some more pace and movement in there.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
I watched this one but didn't get a chance to comment until now. Cozier Duberry was excellent. He was a constant threat. I feel he can be a little greedy sometimes though and needs a bit of polish on his final ball but he's a very good dribbler, very much in a simlar style Saka. He could get so much assists if refines his decision making.

I really like Monlouis too. He's soooooo calm on the ball in posession and his passing was really good especially on that bobbly pitch. :lol: I just want him to be more aggressive and commanding at the back. He's looking more physical which is a good. He should get a loan next season to see what he can do at mens level.. I liked the partnership with him and Walters at the back . 2 very good ball playing defenders we got there.

Henry Francis needs a bit more body mass. He's a rugged little terrier of a midfielder but he needs to grow more physically. Full of running and nice passing and technique. Cottrell did well too with the 2 goals. As has been said already though he needs to play at mens level at his age.

Cirjan should be influencing these type of games based on his age and experience but again he has suffered from long term injury which has clearly set him back in terms of development. If he can stay fit till the end of the season, it would be good to see if he can get a loan for next season. I can't see a EFL club taking him so may be abroad at this point.

I thought Bandeira did well when he came on and that was a nice finish through the legs of the keeper. He was full of running and had a strong influence on the game. He seems to have been arround for ages. I think he too needs a loan at mens level to assess where he's at.

teamsoutheast

I completely agree Mehmet. :lol: He'd do well to get an EFL club next season or Vanarama National team. Him and Smith need to be playing senior football next season.

teamsoutheast

Arsenal u23's pre-season friendly games for anyone interested if you live nearby etc:

Chelmsford (A) Tuesday 1st Aug 19:45pm KO:
chelmsford.JPG

Bishops Stortford (A) Tuesday 8th August 19:45pm KO:

Bishops.JPG

Borehamwood (H) Saturday 29th July 3pm

Borehamwood.JPG

Sulosky

Ovie Ejeheri leaves SJK Seinäjoki and returns to Arsenal. Ejeheri played very well in the Finnish main league and is ready to fight for playing time in the reserves. As a side note, another former Arsenal Academy goalkeeper also plays in the Finnish premier league. Dejan Iliev represents HJK Helsinki, which by the way is currently second in the series. SJK Seinäjoki is third in the series.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Ovie Ejeheri leaves SJK Seinäjoki and returns to Arsenal. Ejeheri played very well in the Finnish main league and is ready to fight for playing time in the reserves. As a side note, another former Arsenal Academy goalkeeper also plays in the Finnish premier league. Dejan Iliev represents HJK Helsinki, which by the way is currently second in the series. SJK Seinäjoki is third in the series.
Wanna see him get another loan - he'd be a nice 3rd choice to have but he can build his stock higher.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He’ll be third choice with Hein and Okonkwo off on loan I’d imagine.
I'd be happy with that. Decent distribution, good shot-stopper and generally unflappable. If there was an emergency situation, he's probably the strongest of the 3 (I know Hein has international experience with Estonia but I don't think he's as talented as the other two).

Afro Mugo

I'd be happy with that. Decent distribution, good shot-stopper and generally unflappable. If there was an emergency situation, he's probably the strongest of the 3 (I know Hein has international experience with Estonia but I don't think he's as talented as the other two).
Personally, I think one of Hein or Okonkwo will be sold with the other going on loan. I've heard that we are seeking an experienced homegrown third choice. With Graczyk and Ejeheri still around and Ramsdale's new contract and age, I won't be surprised if we let go of both with sell-on/buy-back clauses as Graczyk and Ejeheri going on loan and Cooper/Rojas remaining with u23s/u19s while Okonkwo Jr, Ranson plus Porter with the u18s.

Afro Mugo

In other most obvious news, I'm glad of the Nwaneri news with the additional fact that he was never determined to leave as he is a local Islington boy, and he's agreed to a pro deal, so at least around 2025, we won't have to worry and by then he'll surely be a first-team player unless something seriously goes wrong. Promoting our outstanding academy attacking talents is what has allowed us to splash the cash on the defense that has fastened the rebuild. He is an outstanding talent and one of those who won't need a loan. The pathway is very clear for him as no other attacking talents in his position are there to block his pathway. As I've always thought, his was an agency issue. I thought he shares Saka and Balogun's agent, but he is signed to Rio Ferdinand's agency, similar to Patino. I trust Rio is a professional, but we would be naive to assume his own biases weren't playing a part in pushing him away.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

In other most obvious news, I'm glad of the Nwaneri news with the additional fact that he was never determined to leave as he is a local Islington boy, and he's agreed to a pro deal, so at least around 2025, we won't have to worry and by then he'll surely be a first-team player unless something seriously goes wrong. Promoting our outstanding academy attacking talents is what has allowed us to splash the cash on the defense that has fastened the rebuild. He is an outstanding talent and one of those who won't need a loan. The pathway is very clear for him as no other attacking talents in his position are there to block his pathway. As I've always thought, his was an agency issue. I thought he shares Saka and Balogun's agent, but he is signed to Rio Ferdinand's agency, similar to Patino. I trust Rio is a professional, but we would be naive to assume his own biases weren't playing a part in pushing him away.
I doubt Rio is that involved and when it comes to kids, their parents play big role. It seems he has a family that knows football and negotiated this perfectly. Made Arsenal wait and prove how much they really want him. Hence I expect him to sign a professional contract at 17 he would never get close to if they didn’t play their hand

Top Bottom