• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Big changes in the u23 and u18 teams this season looking at the players who’ve left or been promoted.

Okonkwo
Swanson Clarke Medley Bola
Burton Smith Olayinka
Greenwood John-Jules Coyle
That’s off the top of my head, @MutableEarth will have a better idea. Delighted that Nketiah got a loan as it means John-Jules should get minutes in the Europa which also means Balogun should get plenty of games at u23 level.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Big changes in the u23 and u18 teams this season looking at the players who’ve left or been promoted.

Okonkwo
Swanson Clarke Medley Bola
Burton Smith Olayinka
Greenwood John-Jules Coyle
That’s off the top of my head, @MutableEarth will have a better idea. Delighted that Nketiah got a loan as it means John-Jules should get minutes in the Europa which also means Balogun should get plenty of games at u23 level.
That's about as close to the team as I imagine it will look like. Greenwood started today so unlikely we'll see him. Very possible that if Saka doesn't make matchday, he'll be firmly in that lineup with Coyle going either side. Burton could play as #10, he's often done so for the U23s.

Okonkwo being hurt means Hillson will fill in a lot more, as will Macey. The defence picks itself really. What we should watch for are the promotions mid-season. If Taylor-Hart impresses, he could usurp Coyle (who has struggled a little bit). Balogun is also a permanent member of this squad and he has a lot to prove. Also the midfield is relatively settled with Burton and Olayinka, but Smith IMO has more potential than Burton and Azeez could end up shooting past them all depending on how he continues his development with the U18s.

A lot to look forward to this season. I'll try and attend as many games as I can this year.

Aevi

Hale End FC
First PL2 game of the U23's season is today at 19:00 against Blackburn Rovers.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
First PL2 game of the U23's season is today at 19:00 against Blackburn Rovers.
Holding involved. Lineup will be of interest. Saka was with the squad yesterday despite not being named on the bench so I reckon its possible he isn't involved but may join up late and play due to lack of minutes.

John-Jules and Coyle are a lock to start IMO.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

Smith-Rowe back! Tormey also starting and Balogun gets the nod over John-Jules. Interesting. No Matt Smith in the squad.

No Medley either.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Thats why it was crucial we loaned out Nketiah. Imagine having to juggle Nketiah, John-Jules and Balogun, one would almost certainly leave with a lack of game time.

With Nketiah out on loan it lets both John-Jules and Balogun get minutes at u23 level and probably even a first team debut this season.

Vanfrothan

Looking at the first team squad, someone is going to get some serious minutes in the Europa League in the number 9 role, as surely Aubameyang and Lacazette will be rested for the majority of the games. (Home games at least)

It can only be one of John-Jules and Balogun, as nearly all of the other fringe players/prospects are wide players, which will be exciting to see.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Thats why it was crucial we loaned out Nketiah. Imagine having to juggle Nketiah, John-Jules and Balogun, one would almost certainly leave with a lack of game time.

With Nketiah out on loan it lets both John-Jules and Balogun get minutes at u23 level and probably even a first team debut this season.
John-Jules might find himself usurped to be honest if Balogun keeps this up. It will be an interesting competition between the two - both IMO have potential to be very good strikers but with all 3 of these guys, 1 or 2 will miss out. Will be intriguing to see how it plays out. Nonetheless, if their development is smooth enough, we can absorb the eventual loss of Auba and Laca.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Looking at the first team squad, someone is going to get some serious minutes in the Europa League in the number 9 role, as surely Aubameyang and Lacazette will be rested for the majority of the games. (Home games at least)

It can only be one of John-Jules and Balogun, as nearly all of the other fringe players/prospects are wide players, which will be exciting to see.
I reckon it will likely be John-Jules. He's more physically ready, technically secure and better at linking up with fellow attackers - has a good final ball aswell. He might be a surprise package for a lot of people.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

John-Jules might find himself usurped to be honest if Balogun keeps this up. It will be an interesting competition between the two - both IMO have potential to be very good strikers but with all 3 of these guys, 1 or 2 will miss out. Will be intriguing to see how it plays out. Nonetheless, if their development is smooth enough, we can absorb the eventual loss of Auba and Laca.
Not sure, John-Jules is a brilliant link man, think he’s suited to first team football already. Getting a place on the tour and then doing well and signing a new contract says to me he’ll be getting Europa minutes.

Had a look before and Balogun is a few months younger so will probably be involved with the squad next season unless he really takes off.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Not sure, John-Jules is a brilliant link man, think he’s suited to first team football already. Getting a place on the tour and then doing well and signing a new contract says to me he’ll be getting Europa minutes.

Had a look before and Balogun is a few months younger so will probably be involved with the squad next season unless he really takes off.
John-Jules definitely ahead right now for sure. Much more ready for 1st team football.

Impact

Established Member

Hear this often regarding John-Jules but does he have enough goals in him?

Latest posts+

Top Bottom