• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

Symbia

Wolves outplayed Arsenal and deserved the draw.
Arsenal really cannot press even when their opponents are pressing them out of the park.

Iceman10

Established Member
Tierney and Bellerin both got a nice 60 minutes run-out.

Haven't been following U23s too closely, first time Balogun has come to my attention tbh.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://player.arsenal.com/video/u-23s-manchester-city-highlights

Looked a fairly even game. We don't have a lot of strength outwide currently. Tormey looks decent but not likely to nudge anyone ahead of him, while Coyle has huge potential but has yet to truly fulfill even half so far.

Interesting that I had read in a report that Smith dictated the game - he doesn't feature much in these highlights - we see more of Ben Cottrell instead who looks busy and dangerous. Both Smith and Cottrell are ones to watch from this bunch (outside of the 2 strikers), and I'd also keep a good eye on Clarke as he is acclimatising quite well.

Good to see John-Jules back aswell.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

That's a pretty strong lineup.

Nelson already back from injury and Smith-Rowe starting. Long time since Nelson and Coyle were in the same lineup!

Good to see Matt Smith starting again with these lot in front of him. Balogun is injured again so John-Jules returns. I really wish there was a stream for this.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐

That's a pretty strong lineup.

Nelson already back from injury and Smith-Rowe starting. Long time since Nelson and Coyle were in the same lineup!

Good to see Matt Smith starting again with these lot in front of him. Balogun is injured again so John-Jules returns. I really wish there was a stream for this.
Game finished 3-1 Arsenal. Burton, Coyle and Tormey scored the goals. According to Jeorge Bird, Mavropanos, Smith-Rowe and Coyle were the best players while Nelson did well before being subbed in a pre-planned change at half time for Cottrell.

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
Game finished 3-1 Arsenal. Burton, Coyle and Tormey scored the goals. According to Jeorge Bird, Mavropanos, Smith-Rowe and Coyle were the best players while Nelson did well before being subbed in a pre-planned change at half time for Cottrell.
Good to hear that Mavropanos is back and playing well. He really needs a loan in January.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
well done the lads - good to see some Arsenal players know how to see off the enemy

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://player.arsenal.com/video/u-23s-southampton-h-highlights

Highlights of the 1-0 victory v Southampton. Great finish from John-Jules, looked very good again. Smith, Cottrell and Olayinka also looked like a complementary midfield, Smith having some really good moments here and one sloppy moment but I really like Smith. Looks a bit sturdier now, more capable physically. Can see the wide areas being a weak point for us at this level at the moment. Coyle's getting back to form but he's probably better centrally and Tormey looks pretty good now that he's not hurt anymore but uphill battle to truly convince. I wouldn't mind seeing how far he can go and improve though, looks quite effective most of the time.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Coyle, Medley and John-Jules scoring.

Clearly not suffering from the problems first team are having :lol:
https://player.arsenal.com/video/u-23s-blackburn-h-highlights

Highlights of this match to whet our appetites for the game later.

Few interesting things:

- ESR is wasted playing at this level. So far ahead. He needs first team football and pronto.
- Coyle is a very interesting case. Once arguably the biggest talent in Hale End, injuries have severely derailed his development. Is he back on track? He looks confident again, is a very solid athlete and an excellent technician who can play in any attacking position, including #10. Giving him a new deal looks a decent move now, let's see if he can continue improving and building on his run of form. Scoring goals regularly now.
- Mavropanos looks a bit more confident aswell. He had 2 poor games last time I watched the U23s in full, so the highlights are quite encouraging in that regard, especially given we suck at CB right now.
- Tyreece John-Jules with a brilliant finish. He's not to be forgotten about, he's very capable and should probably go on loan in January to slingshot his development.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
- Tyreece John-Jules with a brilliant finish. He's not to be forgotten about, he's very capable and should probably go on loan in January to slingshot his development.
Didn't John-Jules score a few in pre-season?

I remember being hyped about him.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Man, I overlook these topics now that we have a new forum section.

Do we have any defenders in the reserves that could be close to the first team next year? We're running quite thin there, doesnt seem like there is much coming through.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Man, I overlook these topics now that we have a new forum section.

Do we have any defenders in the reserves that could be close to the first team next year? We're running quite thin there, doesnt seem like there is much coming through.
Theres a few promising CBs but nobody close to 1st team football. The one most will know is Zech Medley but he hasn't even been a starter for Boulds team. Looks good in possession but not great defensively.

Mavropanos has been a regular but hes often been partnered by Harry Clarke. Clarke was one half of a strong defensive partnership in the u18s last year along with Mark McGuiness. The latter has had a tough time getting into the team, particularly considering injuries but hes tall, strong and a relatively smart defender. Clarke is very good all-round and has a commanding aura about him but he needs greater tests.

The big shame is that Danny Ballard is hurt. I think hes the best central defender in the academy.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Hmm, not great. No fullbacks close to the first team either?

Wonder if recruitment or development is lacking. We should've more defensive prospects coming through given the dire state our backline is in. Unfortunately, Medley hasn't really impressed me thusfar nor has Mavro.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom