• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Under-23s Thread

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I feel the same to an extent re the U18 compared to the current U23s. Patino IMO will be a slow burner more than anything else, I can see him developing really, really well. Just think people expect him to be first team ready much sooner than he will be.

I think the distribution of talent in the current set-up isn't as good. The good ones are really good (Azeez, Taylor-Hart, Oyegoke for e.g all look very promising) and the not so good ones really stand apart from their peers. The signings have been quite poor aswell except for Moller, who's interesting but not got that kind of impact you'd like him to have (yet). Akinola ruins every game for me, I think he's got some ability but he just doesn't have enough quality over 90 and he's very frustrating. I'm also not terribly convinced by Kirk and Lopez (I think I've seen enough to suggest Lopez won't be a thing here - I want to see more of Ogungbo at LB). I think Alebiosu has improved a lot but he's not as good as Oyegoke IMO and Norton-Cuffy has arguably been better in the games he's played.

Also, as a fan of Cottrell, I haven't been impressed with him as much in recent games. He's shown clear limitations physically despite his combative and determined playstyle. I think this will always count against him, much in the same way that I think Matt Smith - while quality - will always have that problem here.

The current U18s IMO have a bit more about them in terms of an even distribution. The only area where I feel they lack is in the wider areas but I think the team below will have guys like Petrie making a difference. The defenders are better for sure. Monlouis, Awe, Ogungbo and Norton-Cuffy is a far stronger backline IMO, and I think Oyegoke is one of few who challenges it in terms of potential.

RE Taylor-Hart, I think the interest from other clubs has definitely made negotiations difficult.

------------------

Just on today's game, I wasn't impressed. Usual suspects were quite poor IMO. Lopez and Akinola were poor IMO, although Lopes had some decent interceptions. They were both very poor in possession. Thought Kirk was a little overawed aswell. Oyegoke and Alebiosu fared far better, although the latter really isn't that great in the final 3rd. Oyegoke was the best of the backline IMO. Shame he got sent off in the last game, would have made that game far more equal.

Nelson was good when he had the ball but he was very much starved of it for most of the 2nd half. Patino went off and any impetus we had died with his substitution. His replacement Trae Coyle looked rusty in comparison. Taylor-Hart had some good moments but also struggled to get in the game. Cottrell again seemed to be overpowered by the opposition, particularly Doyle in midfield. Moller was OK.

Our best player was easily Okonkwo. Game should have been 6-0 but he did very well keeping that score down. Nelson was very good in the first half; Patino and Oyegoke also did quite well. It's another 90 in the bank for Nelson but, just like last U23 game, this did absolutely nothing for him other than keep him somewhat match fit and he didn't have the added benefit of a starring performance either.

What's the deal with Cirjan?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Been watching the worst U23 performance I've seen us have. Getting killed by a really good Liverpool team 4-0. Everyone has been bad. Nelson (who's been our best player again) has been mostly pocketed by some kid called Connor Bradley. Washed.

Monlouis looked good on the ball I guess and hasn't embarrassed himself.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Been watching the worst U23 performance I've seen us have. Getting killed by a really good Liverpool team 4-0. Everyone has been bad. Nelson (who's been our best player again) has been mostly pocketed by some kid called Connor Bradley. Washed.

Lol. I still really rate Monlouis. Think he has as good a chance as any academy CB to make it here in the future. But the U18 and U23 teams have been on bad form for a while now.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?

I wouldn't say it's the worst idea to go down, and then integrate some of the u18 talents for next season.
Other than Nelson, I don't see anyone even being close to first team football from that team, which is always a call for a clearout IMO

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bad news RE Taylor-Hart and Okonkwo IMO. Two talents who have first team potential about to be let go for nothing.

Okonkwo is better than Hein so it's typical us that we end up keeping Hein. Hein is OK though, just not as talented.

And Taylor-Hart is the next winger of his type in the club after Nelson and I was hoping we would keep one of them but it's a huge possibility that we are going to lose both of them, which is highly irritating. I don't rate Lewis either so looks like Hutchinson, Flores and Butler-Oyedeji are the main attack force for the next gen.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Okonkwo is better than Hein so it's typical us that we end up keeping Hein. Hein is OK though, just not as talented.
Okonkwo surprised me because I saw some bloggers talking about him even being #3 keeper for next season, he seemed highly rated.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Okonkwo surprised me because I saw some bloggers talking about him even being #3 keeper for next season, he seemed highly rated.
My feeling is that there's a deal on the table but he's yet to sign - as with Taylor-Hart. Maybe they feel their pathway is blocked and they've been offered more first team football elsewhere. I'd imagine such is the case with Taylor-Hart, one of the more underrated talents in the PL.

Reactions: A_G

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
BTW, the U23s are playing right now and winning 2-1 vs Southampton.

No coincidence that we are scoring goals as soon as Miguel Azeez returns from injury. Such an important player now. Moller with a penalty and Taylor-Hart with the 2nd goal.

Nelson is also playing this match. Seems he'll be here permanently until the end of the season.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
Very disappointing if Taylor-Hart moves on...could've been an interesting option off the bench for the first team as soon as next season, if Nelson leaves, basically taking his (scant, but still, at his age it's enough to work himself into first-team football slowly) minutes.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Very disappointing if Taylor-Hart moves on...could've been an interesting option off the bench for the first team as soon as next season, if Nelson leaves, basically taking his (scant, but still, at his age it's enough to work himself into first-team football slowly) minutes.
Chris Wheatley has (finally) dropped the news that we've offered him a deal. So the ball is in his court. If I were him, I'd sign. He has the technical quality and physical attributes to be a very promising player and I think the club will seek to integrate him - particularly as the club are prepared to cash in on Nelson it seems.

Geofranco

Would let Saka date his daughter

Player:Saka
Chris Wheatley has (finally) dropped the news that we've offered him a deal. So the ball is in his court. If I were him, I'd sign. He has the technical quality and physical attributes to be a very promising player and I think the club will seek to integrate him - particularly as the club are prepared to cash in on Nelson it seems.

Really like Taylor-Hart's potential. Him, Azeez and Monlouis are the ones from this group that I can see making it here down the line. Darkhorses: Zach Awe, Bandeira and Sagoe Jnr. For whatever reason, I just don't see Flores making it here long-term. I'm still not fully sure with Hutchinson either.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Really like Taylor-Hart's potential. Him, Azeez and Monlouis are the ones from this group that I can see making it here down the line. Darkhorses: Zach Awe, Bandeira and Sagoe Jnr. For whatever reason, I just don't see Flores making it here long-term. I'm still not fully sure with Hutchinson either.
I think with Hutchinson we will have to see how he responds to adult football. He's acclimatised really easily to U18s and I have a feeling he'll take to U23s too. He comes across as a very clever player on top of being technical so I'm quite positive about him. Flores is definitely a crapshoot though - very talented and seemingly a more aggressive player than Hutchinson but I still need to see him challenged a little more. At the moment, I think Hutchinson is the better player.

Bandeira and Awe are definitely darkhorses because they've got the technical and physical quality in spades but we have still yet to see them fully get used to the rigours just yet. With Sagoe Jnr, I find him so fascinating, looks an amazing dribbler but we haven't seen anywhere near enough of him. I hope to see more of him.

I agree completely on the 3 you mentioned though. Azeez is the clear jewel, while Monlouis and Taylor-Hart can also be stars. I am really big on Monlouis, he's got such excellent ability on the ball and reads the game well for a player of his age. Just needs a little more conviction. Taylor-Hart is (hopefully) my failsafe with Nelson likely leaving. I can see him succeeding where the latter has failed simply due to his physical ability. In terms of technique, there's little between them (Nelson maybe slightly better).

I'm also intrigued by the RB situation. With Alebiosu, Oyegoke and Norton-Cuffy all vying for that spot, I think that competition is such that one of them is sure to make it here. I had my money initially on Oyegoke due to his technique and versatility but Norton-Cuffy seems to be the best performer of the 3 based on what they've produced this season. Alebiosu has done well this season but I think his ceiling is a tier below the younger two.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The decision to loan out most of the team and replace them with u18s and free agents clearly hasn’t worked in terms of league position and performances, but hopefully there’s a clearer idea on who’s going to make it here or not.

Should be quite a few sales in the summer from the youth setup.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Also, saw that Okonkwo is leaving in the summer? Thought he’d make it here, disappointing.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The decision to loan out most of the team and replace them with u18s and free agents clearly hasn’t worked in terms of league position and performances, but hopefully there’s a clearer idea on who’s going to make it here or not.

Should be quite a few sales in the summer from the youth setup.
I think the U18s haven't been bad in all honesty - Norton-Cuffy has performed really well when given the chance, while Taylor-Hart is pretty much one of the best players in that team now. Oyegoke has been solid in most games despite being out of position and I think Monlouis has looked pretty decent aswell. Kirk's probably the one that's struggled a bit. I think the free agents haven't been as good though. Akinola and Dinzeyi haven't been impressive, while Lewis and Salah-Eddine have spent a long time injured or not contributing. I think a bigger issue is Bould not getting the best out of the squad performance-wise, and I'm not sure they're learning enough to be potential first team contributors either.

I foresee quite a few departures this Summer, both loan and permanent. A lot of the 2nd years haven't been offered deals and they'll mostly be leaving. We had our biggest scholar intake for a while this year and it looks like next year will be the biggest exodus. The likes of Plange, Laing and Sraha will most likely be leaving having not earned a pro deal, and there could be some surprises like Oyegoke and Ogungbo.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think the U18s haven't been bad in all honesty - Norton-Cuffy has performed really well when given the chance, while Taylor-Hart is pretty much one of the best players in that team now. Oyegoke has been solid in most games despite being out of position and I think Monlouis has looked pretty decent aswell. Kirk's probably the one that's struggled a bit. I think the free agents haven't been as good though. Akinola and Dinzeyi haven't been impressive, while Lewis and Salah-Eddine have spent a long time injured or not contributing. I think a bigger issue is Bould not getting the best out of the squad performance-wise, and I'm not sure they're learning enough to be potential first team contributors either.

I foresee quite a few departures this Summer, both loan and permanent. A lot of the 2nd years haven't been offered deals and they'll mostly be leaving. We had our biggest scholar intake for a while this year and it looks like next year will be the biggest exodus. The likes of Plange, Laing and Sraha will most likely be leaving having not earned a pro deal, and there could be some surprises like Oyegoke and Ogungbo.
I thought Oyegoke and Norton-Cuffy would give us a James/Lamptey situation. One is first choice RB for England u18 the other first choice RB for England u17.

You know how talented those age groups are as well.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I thought Oyegoke and Norton-Cuffy would give us a James/Lamptey situation. One is first choice RB for England u18 the other first choice RB for England u17.

You know how talented those age groups are as well.
Hugely talented, could rival the 2000 kids. Our lot haven't progressed quite as well from that bracket though, I'm assuming that's mostly because our coaching could be better at that level. I think more experience and football will still help though.

The problem RE the right backs here is that Steve Bould likes playing the older players. Remember at the beginning of the season, he started Olayinka and Akinola together in a 2 while Azeez was sitting on the bench.

That seems to be the case with Ryan Alebiosu. I think he's performed pretty decently overall but he's not as good as the other two, yet he often gets the RB minutes and Oyegoke as a result plays a LOT of CB minutes instead. He's not bad there but it's not where his progression will happen. It's just because Alebiosu is older.

Norton-Cuffy is probably the best of the 3 currently but he's also the youngest so if both are fit he won't even be in the conversation.

Top Bottom