• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Don't know if this is unpopular, but if I was given the option to pick any footballer in his prime and put on the team I support, I'd take Ronaldinho. Football is entertainment and for me Ronaldinho is second to none in the regard. Helps that he's also an all time great as well of course.

Same reason I'd take 2 titles playing immensely entertaining football over 4 titles playing the Moyes/Mourinho/BFS brand of football. I've never understood the "all that matters is winning" mentality, at least as a spectator.

Winning beautifully is a lot more difficult than winning ugly, which is why it makes it so much better.

Mourinho's Chelsea side from 04/05, Real side 11/12 and Chelsea again 14/15 all played pretty good football for the most part in winning their titles.

I think there's a lot of revisionism going on when it comes to Mourinho. But when he has the players he wants he can get his sides playing great football, it just so happens that he'd rather focus on making his team solid defensively first before he then allows his attacking players more freedom once he's happy with the defence.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Don't know if this is unpopular, but if I was given the option to pick any footballer in his prime and put on the team I support, I'd take Ronaldinho. Football is entertainment and for me Ronaldinho is second to none in the regard. Helps that he's also an all time great as well of course.

Same reason I'd take 2 titles playing immensely entertaining football over 4 titles playing the Moyes/Mourinho/BFS brand of football. I've never understood the "all that matters is winning" mentality, at least as a spectator.

Winning beautifully is a lot more difficult than winning ugly, which is why it makes it so much better.

But you are a hammer so it is not relevant for you...
Winning that is

I am a results kinda guy, sports and entertainment are not the same thing

The competition IS entertainment for me

And a little tradition/culture in which club you support

Last edited:

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Mourinho's Chelsea side from 04/05, Real side 11/12 and Chelsea again 14/15 all played pretty good football for the most part in winning their titles.

I think there's a lot of revisionism going on when it comes to Mourinho. But when he has the players he wants he can get his sides playing great football, it just so happens that he'd rather focus on making his team solid defensively first before he then allows his attacking players more freedom once he's happy with the defence.

Like you should

Wengers 90s to invincibles had a Great defense that let the offense shine

When you build a house you start at the foundation, you cant hang shiny chandeliers from a nonexistant roof...

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Are you seriously using Mourinho as an example. That same manager just got sacked from the second biggest spender in the league.. Please don't tell me United have a rubbish squad because that is bollocks.
Also Greece winning the Euros is a completely different story. CL example as well. A league and a knock out competition are massively different in structure. Simply put, not playing each team home and away makes it a luck of the draw thing..

Did he not win with Chelsea, porto, Inter and real?

Do you judge our own Wenger based on the good years or the bad?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Did he not win with Chelsea, porto, Inter and real?

Do you judge our own Wenger based on the good years or the bad?
Both. I saw it all so I include all his years with us. I'll admit I got caught up in the hype to get rid of him and in hindsight it was foolish.
3 of the teams you mentioned spend decent sums of money every transfer window.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Not disputing that. Mourinho has always been reliant on having incredible attacking talent throughout his teams to play that way though. I'd argue his brand is still similar to Moyes or BFS, but he's just had the opportunity to put world class talent onto the pitch at the same time.

That doesn't mean I rate Moyes and BFS in the same category tier in terms of level though, just to be clear, but we have seen BFS teams play brilliant football when everything was firing, albeit much more rarely of course.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Not disputing that. Mourinho has always been reliant on having incredible attacking talent throughout his teams to play that way though. I'd argue his brand is still similar to Moyes or BFS, but he's just had the opportunity to put world class talent onto the pitch at the same time.

That doesn't mean I rate Moyes and BFS in the same category tier in terms of level though, just to be clear, but we have seen BFS teams play brilliant football when everything was firing, albeit much more rarely of course.
Took me a whole 5 minutes to work out you were talking about Allardyce.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sven has done his job here, and we might be better off with someone new, with a different set of contacts.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I can see Mourinho managing Arsenal at somepoint now his style not that adverse to our own.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I can see Mourinho managing Arsenal at somepoint now his style not that adverse to our own.

I feel that we wouldn't be ambitious enough for him. We wouldn't have the finances to compete for the title. I mean he was getting annoyed at United, could you imagine how annoyed he'd be here? Mourinho isn't the type of guy who wants to be competing for top 4 for several seasons, he wants to be competing for the top trophies as quickly as possible.

The only thing I can think of is that we're one of the few PL clubs that he could really have another go with to prove Chelsea/United wrong, heck even to show Wenger up perhaps. But I just think it's unlikely unless we get seriously ambitious over the next couple of years.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I feel that we wouldn't be ambitious enough for him. We wouldn't have the finances to compete for the title. I mean he was getting annoyed at United, could you imagine how annoyed he'd be here? Mourinho isn't the type of guy who wants to be competing for top 4 for several seasons, he wants to be competing for the top trophies as quickly as possible.

The only thing I can think of is that we're one of the few PL clubs that he could really have another go with to prove Chelsea/United wrong, heck even to show Wenger up perhaps. But I just think it's unlikely unless we get seriously ambitious over the next couple of years.

He seems set not to move the family out of London.

I always thought he will manage Sp**s at sompoint but without United in for Potch & Arsenal dropping the attacking play... could all line up.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Wenger's faith in his players cost him his job rather than his tactics or managerial ability. He persisted too long with 6 or 7 mediocre to poor players in the starting XI and it cost him. IF we were smarter in the transfer market and made better purchases, he would still be here.

Granted he bought the players and tactics do play a role but I do think poor player recruitment was the main cause of Wenger's downfall because Wengerball lives and dies by the quality of the players at your disposal. Hopefully its rectified from now on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom