• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The main mistake Arsène made, was he had complete faith in his players, maybe too much to be honest.

But that's what made him who he was, he loved giving players time to develop...I reckon he enjoyed that side of the game, even more than what he won as a manager.

We should have signed Given in 2008 after Jens left for example, but you take the rough with the smooth with your manager...and there were a hell of a lot more good times than bad with Wenger.

We had no right to win the league post 2006, tbh...so Arsène can't be faulted that much, imo.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
What RVP said was the truth either way because the club had no ambition beyond 4th. He followed the path set by the likes of Cesc and Nasri who had realized this in the past. The problem was with the club not the players and for the fanbase to blame the players was typically clueless.
This i dont get the animosity towards RVP leaving as a top player who wanted to win silverware.
He wasnt gonna finish his career with a prem title by staying here.

Think he loved the club but I 100% get why he left.

It was hardly Sol leaving Sp**s we got decent money for him.

it was just a shame he had so many injuries while here.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
There’s only 3 clubs in the EPL winning trophies regularly, so it’s not surprising the best players have gravitated to them, which is a double whammy for other clubs . . . not enough money and best players going to rivals.

Imagine if it was a level playing field and everybody’s ladder was the same length. :confused:
Chelsea & Man C have probably put paid to it ever being near a level playing field again tbh.
Without the massive pumps of money we would still be a top 4 club comfortably imho.

There are only 2 spots really available in the top 4 now.

You are hoping that Man U or Liverpool fail.
Considering they are both massive clubs who have outspent us for years its a tall order.
Then you have Sp**s who have finished ahead of us for more than half a decade who expect now to be challenging & Leicester who have been a superbly run club since the Thai investment.

Everton big spending recently thinking they should be back in europe again.

Villa have a very ambitious owner who has put money in.

Getting top 6 has never been harder than it is at the moment imho.

I know that is not what people want to hear but its the truth.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Chelsea & Man C have probably put paid to it ever being near a level playing field again tbh.
Without the massive pumps of money we would still be a top 4 club comfortably imho.

There are only 2 spots really available in the top 4 now.

You are hoping that Man U or Liverpool fail.
Considering they are both massive clubs who have outspent us for years its a tall order.
Then you have Sp**s who have finished ahead of us for more than half a decade who expect now to be challenging & Leicester who have been a superbly run club since the Thai investment.

Everton big spending recently thinking they should be back in europe again.

Villa have a very ambitious owner who has put money in.

Getting top 6 has never been harder than it is at the moment imho.

I know that is not what people want to hear but its the truth.
Yet most clubs outspent Arsenal between 2004 and 2013 and yet we were top 4 every year. The league was much tougher when nearly every team is out spending you. At the moment it's only 4 teams, Arteta's got it easy.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yet most clubs outspent Arsenal between 2004 and 2013 and yet we were top 4 every year. The league was much tougher when nearly every team is out spending you. At the moment it's only 4 teams, Arteta's got it easy.
Let's be honest, Arsène would've got us into the top 4 the last 2 seasons. Especially last year when Chelsea and Liverpool were poor for stretches of the season and we were only 6 points behind after the worst half of a season I've ever seen. Honestly the competition isn't that far away from us, it's just we've been extra sh*t.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Torreira was good until Emery tried to play him as a 10 and destroyed his career and confidence. The fact that his confidence was destroyed, however, does prove that his mentality was week.
Nah, don’t buy that, his been poor ever since, can’t be a confidence issue for this long. If anything, that should improve your confidence, your manager thinking you’re capable of more.

Riou

Coquelin was a big part of us winning a lot of those games.

Was probably a little bit of a purple patch, but always thought he was a very good player to have in the squad...did very well at Valencia too.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Bloody hell, we’re so trash compared to those times, and those times were Wenger in decline.

You were miles ahead of us in 2015 when we had Van Gaal. Jones, Smalling and Fellaini ffs.

y1Du2KK5iu58LBZCOsPguPBUC05o_2-P11nubeew2fhpU5iRiKoc36pLSNXxtonu4SYSTmXJXaPibCUDpwK4XYfcU5EqsqihAl0wcOu7-2cPyWdpwCWfrlDo9mzAWbEupKZIN0RSystUchE79SbH77scDg=s0-d

EDIT: Misread, thought you said teams instead of times.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Let's be honest, Arsène would've got us into the top 4 the last 2 seasons. Especially last year when Chelsea and Liverpool were poor for stretches of the season and we were only 6 points behind after the worst half of a season I've ever seen. Honestly the competition isn't that far away from us, it's just we've been extra sh*t.
Well considering he never got top 4 in his final 2 seasons its a big stretch. I think last season was freakish because of the pandemic tbh. Even City were struggling early doors and some of their fans were questioning Pep.
The best 4 squads finished top 4 so it pretty much evened out in the end.

I think the great man would most likely have grabbed 6th.
Obvs a far better start but then tailed off miserably in March. 😜

Riou

You were miles ahead of us in 2015 when we had Van Gaal. Jones, Smalling and Fellaini ffs.

y1Du2KK5iu58LBZCOsPguPBUC05o_2-P11nubeew2fhpU5iRiKoc36pLSNXxtonu4SYSTmXJXaPibCUDpwK4XYfcU5EqsqihAl0wcOu7-2cPyWdpwCWfrlDo9mzAWbEupKZIN0RSystUchE79SbH77scDg=s0-d

EDIT: Misread, thought you said teams instead of times.

Are these the teams from the game were Jones outpaced Giroud, despite crawling on the ground?

One of the all time Prem moments that :lol:

skummm

I am saying this through gritted teeth, but I have been quite impressed by Maguire both on and off the pitch this tournament. Hadn’t really heard him in interviews before but he is well spoken and can articulate himself pretty well. I think he might be a good captain for England potentially. He would at least be a huge improvement over Kane in interviews!
At least we'd have a new song to sing in the stands :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
He was right to leave that’s not an unpopular opinion. My beef is with the fanbase essentially.

It’s the pining I’m sick of, I want different benchmarks like Vieira, Bergie and Pires instead of everyday Cesc and VP. Maybe it’s recency bias I dunno.

You ever noticed how many times Van Persie has come up in the Auba and Tammy threads like he’s the holy grail of all strikers? Guy was injured for years at Arsenal I personally don’t have time for it.
If you count Sanchez as a wide player. Van Persie was the last great striker that we have never replaced since. Not saying he was Henry/Bergkamp level, but he was the last great striker we had.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If you count Sanchez as a wide player. Van Persie was the last great striker that we have never replaced since. Not saying he was Henry/Bergkamp level, but he was the last great striker we had.
And I’m saying I don’t care tbh. Tired of hearing about him.

Top Bottom