• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

HBL

Established Member
I think we could debate a few things at length: how many players we need overall, what sort of GK, what sort of winger etc etc. But along with a new manager I'd say unequivocally there are two things Arsenal lack and need desperately.

The first is at least one or two central defenders whose main strength is defending and who take pride in defending. The second is at least one central midfielder who is combative and whose primary objective every game is to stop the opposition and beat them.

What encompasses both those things is a need not for particular technical qualities, but for character and personality. We need players for whom the very idea of losing makes them sick, who give their all not because they're told to but because it's the only way they know. Players like Keane and Gattuso aren't legends of the game cos they were technically better than others, they're legends cos they cared and worked more than others. You don't necessarily always need 11 players like that, just a few to motivate the others. But if you have none then you're f*cked.

It's harder to target players based on their character, I don't know who will be the next John Terry or Arturo Vidal. Jamaal Lascelles is a defender known for his strong leadership qualities, Lewis Dunk too. Players like Lucas Torreira and Santiago Ascacibar look like potential central midfield warriors also.

Sometimes it feels like there are no longer players out there who care as much as players of old, but that's a fallacy. They are still out there, and we'll be going nowhere without them.
I think we need at least four starting XI quality players and then another 2-3 to improve squad depth. When city are at full strength they will have Bernardo Silva, Gundogan and Jesus on the bench. Whilst we have Iwobi and Welbeck, it just isn’t good enough. I’m not saying we’ll ever have players of that quality on the bench but we need a big improvement on what we have currently.

Whilst we will all agree that the attacking play away from home this season has been awful, the defensive core has to be the priority. We have to sign a GK, Cb, Dm and a winger to improve the starting XI. I actually think a lot of the current attacking problems stem from the back 6, we don’t have a keeper that’s comfortable on the ball and I don’t think Bellerin/Kolasinac are particularly great on the ball either. Neither is Mustafi, Kosc is very good on the ball but always feels like he has a stupid pass in him. The biggest problem of all is that our DM, isn’t comfortable on the ball, doesn’t take enough risks and when pressed looks like he can give the ball away every time he gets it. We can’t get our impact players like Özil, Mkhi & Wilshere on the ball in between the opponents midfield/defence, which is where it matters.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Why Jorginho? He's not one to contribute much defensively and is physically weak which will translate badly in the Prem. He also isn't at Cazorla's level where his technique can bail him out when under pressure. I heavily doubt he'd do well here.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Why Jorginho? He's not one to contribute much defensively and is physically weak which will translate badly in the Prem. He also isn't at Cazorla's level where his technique can bail him out when under pressure. I heavily doubt he'd do well here.

Firstly because of my new Jardim dream, we're gonna need some Samba boys to accompany him. Secondly because Jorginho is essentially a better version of Xhaka, or a replica of Arteta. I think a Fabinho-Jorginho midfield would be very good actually.

Stannis

We’re not Everton. Fabinho, Kouliably, Oblak etc, that would be amazing.

Fabinho is the dream but I doubt he will come to us when most top clubs would be after him, still i hope for it.

Nididi is another who gets mentioned, but given how LCFC have acted with the Mahrez affair, imagine the price they will set of Nididi? Can't see the board engaging in that.

We could do a lot worse than Khedira. He still has a couple more seasons in him and his resume is good as anyone. He has been the engine of Juventus's midfield past few seasons.

If we cant get our main targets then Khedira plus a prospect is a good business

darkgunner

Not to be negative and rub it in but we had a player with character and personality, a player who actually cared about the club, and we sold him to Juve for pennies. Makes me sick.

Wenger must have had a personal vendetta against him. Szcz actually wanted to come back here and clear the fallout from 2015 and Wenger still shipped him off. Luckily he went to Juventus, if we can ever get Allegri to come here, there's a decent chance he could bring back Szczesny with him.

Aevi

Hale End FC
@Toby Andrl what do you know of Pavlenka? Would he be cheap-ish? He seems like a great goalkeeping option, I hear he's been one of the Bundesliga's best this year. The little footage of him I've been able to find looks promising. Casteels too.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
@Toby Andrl what do you know of Pavlenka? Would he be cheap-ish? He seems like a great goalkeeping option, I hear he's been one of the Bundesliga's best this year. The little footage of him I've been able to find looks promising. Casteels too.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/...-pavlenka-petr-cech-s-natural-heir-468520.jsp

What is it about the Bundesliga that attracts good goalies? I wouldn't trust a goalie from La Liga as far as I could throw them, but for some reason it always seems like every team in Germany has at least a semi-decent goalie.

Stannis

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/news/...-pavlenka-petr-cech-s-natural-heir-468520.jsp

What is it about the Bundesliga that attracts good goalies? I wouldn't trust a goalie from La Liga as far as I could throw them, but for some reason it always seems like every team in Germany has at least a semi-decent goalie.

I reckon it’s a lot to do with the fact European Handball is really popular at a school level. Kids get skills that can translate to goalkeeping

That and they have a culture for it. Oliver Kahn was a hero for my generation

Neuer is there for the current generation. In many ways he is to football what Adam Gilchrist was to cricket .

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I reckon it’s a lot to do with the fact European Handball is really popular at a school level. Kids get skills that can translate to goalkeeping

That and they have a culture for it. Oliver Kahn was a hero for my generation

Neuer is there for the current generation. In many ways he is to football what Adam Gilchrist was to cricket .

Do you reckon Ter Stegen is capable of turning it up yet another notch? His footwork and passing ability is outrageous.

Aevi

Hale End FC

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
Reading that, he's even better than I thought. From what I've seen, I prefer him to Horn or Lafont.

I think it's clear from the financial reports and subsequent statements from Sir McCain Chips today that we're really not gonna be spending 50-60m on someone like Alisson, especially if there's a bidding war involved. It might have to be someone cheap, which is fine just as long as real quality is invested into the defence and midfield.

We all agree that basically GK, CB and DM are the areas of need. I'd be more than happy if two of those three areas are addressed with serious quality and the other a more innovative solution. Pavlenka would be cheap, he's at a good age, has been performing very well plus he could come in and learn from his hero, so it makes sense on a few levels.

We can't be Mislintat-ing everything though, we need to Sanllehi a few also.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think La Liga goalies have translated well over here in recent years. De Gea and partial credit on Courtois are the two best keepers by a mile in the league right now.

As for wish listing, big fan of Jesus Vallejo, Real have a lot of CB options at the minute. Also he's not an academy product like Nacho which means he's less important in squad make up.

He excelled starting for Frankfurt last year and I think he could honestly go a long way.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
I think La Liga goalies have translated well over here in recent years. De Gea and partial credit on Courtois are the two best keepers by a mile in the league right now.

Lloris and Ederson aren't in the conversation for you? Ederson hasn't been here long enough to really say, but I'd say they're all much of a muchness. de Gea's reflexes and Ederson's passing stand out from the rest, but they're all quality.

Latest posts

Top Bottom