• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Impact

Established Member
I'd be interested to see if the club are looking at bringing Donyell Malen back to club. Has looked a prodigious talent at PSV.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Leno
Bellerin Saliba Ake Tierney
Partey Guendouzi
Pepe Grealish Sarr
Aubameyang

Rotation: Martinez, AMN, Chambers, Luiz, Holding, Mustafi, Kolasinac Torreira, Saka, Özil, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah, Martinelli
Nathan Ake - He will sort out or defence and can be our future with Saliba next to him. Also, he has lots of PL experience and comes from a team that typically has to do a lot of defending so he knows how to do the dirty work.

Thomas Partey - This guy is a complete midfielder and for me he is a must for us as he will completely upgrade our midfield. I also feel he is tailor made for the PL and would dominate.

Jack Grealish - The creative force that we most certainly need as I believe he would take us up another notch. Plus, if Villa get relegated you can bet he will be on the move and that is why it is crucial we get CL so we can persuade him to join us over our rivals.

Ismaila Sarr - This kid will explode soon enough and he showed some of that against Liverpool. Think he could kill it on the left wing for us and it would allow us to play Auba up top and sell Laca as I feel that would be best for us.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I'd be interested to see if the club are looking at bringing Donyell Malen back to club. Has looked a prodigious talent at PSV.

He does look very talented, but I don't know if another talented teen is what we need. I'd much rather Martinelli with somebody established.

ChefMan21

Changed my last wishlist a bit assuming no Europe. Over the next 2-3 windows. Also that we'd lose one of Laca or PEA, plus Özil, Mkhi, Xhaka, Mustafi, Sokratis, and El Neny in coming seasons. Recognises that we'd have to be a bit clever in the market.

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=v6nx9

Perhaps not a huge amount of goals upfront, but I'm hoping that 5-man midfield can create a few chances while scoring a few of their own.

To the ins...
Central defence
  • Tah. I like him, think he has lots of upside, experienced, and is ready for the step up. Over his career he has shown to be big, strong, good in the air, and uses his size well.
  • Saliba. is coming so I don't need to make a case for him (which to be fair, is what this thread is about)
  • Lascelles. boring signing. Safe signing. A signing that we know works in the league, so why argue? We need CB's that can do the job, end of. This is a risk management signing.

Midfield
  • Tonali. The biggest thing I like about him? He's quick between the ears. He's compared to Pirlo often enough, which is interesting, and I've liked him in the games I've seen. He also solves a problem of not having a good link between defence and attack. His passing range and quality are fantastic, and he is competent at defence (although not brilliant).
  • Puig. I was impressed with him when he played against us in the preseason and he's another who has that characteristic I will always love: being quick between the ears. Not concerned about his size because of how well he handled us, and he's shown some quality at Barcelona in the games he's played, so I'd grab him before his value (potentially) skyrockets.
  • Milinkovic-Savic. a big body in midfield to give us a presence, which we've lacked for years. Can score goals, great link between PEA and the midfield, etc. It will also give Man Utd the ****s if we get him, because they want him, so perhaps that's enough of a case on its own. :)
  • Gueye. not listed at the link but I'd get him and loan him back out like we did with Saliba. It's a nice approach: they can grow without having the Premier League scrutiny. Others have made the case around attack but I also love that he brings some size: imagine looking up and seeing him and Milinkovic-Savic?
Goalkeeper
  • Lafont. just a good, talented, backup to Leno. Always feel we're a bit short with just Martinez and Leno on the books as regular-enough first-teamers.
Rest is fairly self-explanatory: bring youngsters in, rotate with existing players, etc. Side pictured doesn't necessarily have to be the starting side: I just used it to highlight how it might look if the new signings were incorporated (not faded out like the backups on Lineup Builder).
Forgot to say: for the YouTube fans, here's a few clips of Tonali and Puig. Pirlo and Iniesta comparisons are what come up from fans, experts etc respectively - even if they come slightly short of that, I'd be delighted. Assuming others have seen my other wishlist players at some point (or recent clips in newer threads a la Gueye)

Tonali

Puig

sykesy69

For me I think we need:

CB
DCM who is very mobile and can get about the pitch.
STR because Auba will leave.

We need to sell:

AMN- doesnt seen in Artetas plans
Sokratis as above
Holding
Chambers
Mustafi
Kolasinac (if Saka signs contract)
Miki.

We have lots of centre backs but all of the same quality. We need to get rid of 3 or 4 and bring in at least 1 top quality centre back and have Mari/Luiz/Saliba and this top CB for 2 places.

Who. I have no idea. But they will have to come from abroad as in the premier league the players I think could improve us wont come or will be too expensive.

DCM I would like someone like Ndidi. Personally I think he is unrealistic but someone in that mould.

As a striker could take a punt on Dembele from Lyon but as you say the price would be a lot and I'm not convinced. Not convinced on Timo Werner either and he would have other suitors than us.

Basically we need to follow Dortmunds model for a few years and get these players earlier. We dont have the money or the attraction without CL.

Would also like to sign Ceballos if he can be bought for 35m or less.
Dortmund have CL to offer unlike us, so trying to follow their model is currently a tad flawed...

sykesy69

Leno
Bellerin Saliba Ake Tierney
Partey Guendouzi
Pepe Grealish Sarr
Aubameyang

Rotation: Martinez, AMN, Chambers, Luiz, Holding, Mustafi, Kolasinac Torreira, Saka, Özil, Willock, Nelson, Nketiah, Martinelli
Nathan Ake - He will sort out or defence and can be our future with Saliba next to him. Also, he has lots of PL experience and comes from a team that typically has to do a lot of defending so he knows how to do the dirty work.

Thomas Partey - This guy is a complete midfielder and for me he is a must for us as he will completely upgrade our midfield. I also feel he is tailor made for the PL and would dominate.

Jack Grealish - The creative force that we most certainly need as I believe he would take us up another notch. Plus, if Villa get relegated you can bet he will be on the move and that is why it is crucial we get CL so we can persuade him to join us over our rivals.

Ismaila Sarr - This kid will explode soon enough and he showed some of that against Liverpool. Think he could kill it on the left wing for us and it would allow us to play Auba up top and sell Laca as I feel that would be best for us.
I struggle to see everyones hype over Guendouzi. Other than his willingness to want the ball and desire at times, I don't really see many redeeming qualities. Passing is sloppy, balance is bad, decision making slow, losses concentration often, ball often stuck in his feet, feigns injury constantly, not mobile, not quick etc etc (not to mention his delusions of grandeur)

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Dortmund have CL to offer unlike us, so trying to follow their model is currently a tad flawed...

A lot of the players Dortmund signed who went on to have reasonable careers where coming from obscure teams or teams well in the bottom half of the league. So while champions league may have helped a lot of those players seen it as a clear upward step in the right direction.

Did Sancho join Dortmund because of Champions League or because he was offered playing time? Theres multiple other players we could go through who were signed by dortmund from lower leagues.

Now we have a club the size of Arsenal (who I am constantly told are a huge club despite our position) who could and should be able to study a similar model and apply it. We may not offer champions league football but I think plucking a Kagawa from Japan or as I say a youth player in a bigger team similar to what we did with Fabregas, offering them playing time might be the way to go. At 18-19-20 unless you are brilliant (like Haaland) the most important thing is development. Find players who are interested in that who can improve the team long and short term and get the deals done.

Obviously it isnt easy but maybe it takes abit more planning and work than signing a mediocre 25 year old playing in a mid table team who is already as good as they will ever be.

WiscoGooner8

Tonali is already out of our reach. Brescia’s owner said it would take an offer of 300 million to let him go. Obviously that’s an exaggeration, but I would bet he would cost around 80-100. Which I would be okay with. If we went for quality over quantity we wouldn’t be in this mess...

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
The feeling is growing that it would be quite easy to replace and sell Bellerin this summer. Plenty of interesting fullbacks out there, Soares is an adequate back up.

Malky

Established Member
The feeling is growing that it would be quite easy to replace and sell Bellerin this summer. Plenty of interesting fullbacks out there, Soares is an adequate back up.
Norwich go down and I'd like to see Aarons replacing him. Bellerins only standout asset was pace and it looks like he's lost a few yards. Easily replaced.

sykesy69

A lot of the players Dortmund signed who went on to have reasonable careers where coming from obscure teams or teams well in the bottom half of the league. So while champions league may have helped a lot of those players seen it as a clear upward step in the right direction.

Did Sancho join Dortmund because of Champions League or because he was offered playing time? Theres multiple other players we could go through who were signed by dortmund from lower leagues.

Now we have a club the size of Arsenal (who I am constantly told are a huge club despite our position) who could and should be able to study a similar model and apply it. We may not offer champions league football but I think plucking a Kagawa from Japan or as I say a youth player in a bigger team similar to what we did with Fabregas, offering them playing time might be the way to go. At 18-19-20 unless you are brilliant (like Haaland) the most important thing is development. Find players who are interested in that who can improve the team long and short term and get the deals done.

Obviously it isnt easy but maybe it takes abit more planning and work than signing a mediocre 25 year old playing in a mid table team who is already as good as they will ever be.
If I was to hazard a guest to why Sancho went to Dortmund I would say style of play, playing time, the league and possiblity of playing CL football.

I hear what you're saying, I just think the model is harder to effect if other teams can offer CL football and we can't.

You can already see what affect of not having CL football is having on retaining and recruiting 1st team players.

I guess the main draw would be our stature and playing in the most exciting league in the world. Whether that's enough, we may find out, if that's a road the Exec Team actually want to persue.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If I was to hazard a guest to why Sancho went to Dortmund I would say style of play, playing time, the league and possiblity of playing CL football.

I hear what you're saying, I just think the model is harder to effect if other teams can offer CL football and we can't.

You can already see what affect of not having CL football is having on retaining and recruiting 1st team players.

I guess the main draw would be our stature and playing in the most exciting league in the world. Whether that's enough, we may find out, if that's a road the Exec Team actually want to persue.

Exactly champions league wasnt probably even in his head. It's like us signing a young player from Barcelona or Madrid who's just looking the opportunity to play. Will they see us as a decent destination? At the moment no as we dont have that reputation for developing great young players.

However if we have a team of Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah all getting minutes along with a few others that may help promote the club as a good place for young players to learn their trade.

sykesy69

Exactly champions league wasnt probably even in his head. It's like us signing a young player from Barcelona or Madrid who's just looking the opportunity to play. Will they see us as a decent destination? At the moment no as we dont have that reputation for developing great young players.

However if we have a team of Saka, Martinelli, Nketiah all getting minutes along with a few others that may help promote the club as a good place for young players to learn their trade.
No as in if he's getting 1st team football he would also have the possibility of getting CL football, that he wouldn't get had he of signed for say Hoffenheim.

Another possible issue I see is the difficulty of playing in the Premier League. There are players from abroad that have played over 100 1st team games who don't easily make the step up to play in the league, so asking a young player to come and make the step up, would mean they'd need to be an extraordinary talent not already playing 1st team football making it a smaller target pool to chose from.

Not saying that we don't need to think of a different model than what we have, as previous models don't seem to have worked and don't look sustainable going forward.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
No as in if he's getting 1st team football he would also have the possibility of getting CL football, that he wouldn't get had he of signed for say Hoffenheim.

Another possible issue I see is the difficulty of playing in the Premier League. There are players from abroad that have played over 100 1st team games who don't easily make the step up to play in the league, so asking a young player to come and make the step up, would mean they'd need to be an extraordinary talent not already playing 1st team football making it a smaller target pool to chose from.

Not saying that we don't need to think of a different model than what we have, as previous models don't seem to have worked and don't look sustainable going forward.

Yeah the PL would be a much tougher ask for a young player to come in and hit the ground running. Also the fact that theres so much pressure on the club to get back to winning ways what direction we go in is difficult. Things we know is:

We cannot spend big and buy one of the best players in each position.

We cannot challenge Man United/City/Liverpool/Chelsea if they get top 4 for players. If those clubs are really interested we have no chance.

We seem to be caught in a tough spot. Not good enough or willing enough to sign the best but not so low down that we can sign lots of young players and offer them game time and if they dont work out no problem sell for similar price and go again. Hence why we end up signing mediocre players who for the likes of Bouremouth/Soton/Palace look quite decent are never good enough to mount a challenge or champions league place.

Again I look back to Leicester. They are doing what I say with virtually no pressure. Leciester fans arent going to criticise signing a relatively unknown young defender from Frieburg. They arent going to call the chairman x y and z for getting Ndidi for £14m.

Its similar things we need to do. Maybe Saliba is the start of it. But we need more than that.

sykesy69

Yeah the PL would be a much tougher ask for a young player to come in and hit the ground running. Also the fact that theres so much pressure on the club to get back to winning ways what direction we go in is difficult. Things we know is:

We cannot spend big and buy one of the best players in each position.

We cannot challenge Man United/City/Liverpool/Chelsea if they get top 4 for players. If those clubs are really interested we have no chance.

We seem to be caught in a tough spot. Not good enough or willing enough to sign the best but not so low down that we can sign lots of young players and offer them game time and if they dont work out no problem sell for similar price and go again. Hence why we end up signing mediocre players who for the likes of Bouremouth/Soton/Palace look quite decent are never good enough to mount a challenge or champions league place.

Again I look back to Leicester. They are doing what I say with virtually no pressure. Leciester fans arent going to criticise signing a relatively unknown young defender from Frieburg. They arent going to call the chairman x y and z for getting Ndidi for £14m.

Its similar things we need to do. Maybe Saliba is the start of it. But we need more than that.
Yeah, seems like when Leicester go knocking it's one price, when we go knocking the prices are inflated and no longer then bargins we were hoping for...

It's tough spot for sure, hoping we have the nouse to navigate it. With Kia hoovering around, I do have my fears of heading down a long dark alley in a real bad neighbourhood!!

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Yeah, seems like when Leicester go knocking it's one price, when we go knocking the prices are inflated and no longer then bargins we were hoping for...

It's tough spot for sure, hoping we have the nouse to navigate it. With Kia hoovering around, I do have my fears of heading down a long dark alley in a real bad neighbourhood!!

Unfortunately when your seen as a bigger richer club you will always have that problem. Man united get the hand ripped out of them every signing they make.

Its life.

We need to identify players who are head and shoulders better than what we have in that position. If it costs a lot so be it. United paid well over the odds for Wan Bisakka. But hes brilliant and will be their RB potentially for 10 years. We have to hope Tierney is the same and the likes of Saka and that continue and kick on to a much higher level.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Ideal scenario:
Upamecano
Partey
Grealish
£150m+

Likely scenario:
Gabriel
Soumare
Kocku
Eduoard/Jonathan David
£95m+

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
RB- Youcef Atal/ Max Aarons/ Gabriel Montiel/ Nelson Semedo/ Josha Vagnoman

CB- Pau Torres/ Gabriel

LB- Alex Telles/ Adria Pedrosa/ Francisco Gabriel Ortega

CM- Thomas Partey/ Denis Zakaria/ Boubakary Soumaré and Houssem Aouar/ Dani Ceballos/ Max Eggestein/ Nicolas Dominguez

FWD- Dries Mertens and Martin Ødegaard

Last edited:

Pyromaniac

In:

RB: Aarons (30m)
CB: Ake (40m)

DM: Partey + Pape Gueye (45m + 6m)
CAM: Buendia (30m)

LW: Saint-Maximin (30m) - only, if Auba leaves
CF: Edouard (25m)

= 176 - 206m spent
_______