• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

BaZZe

Always Blaming Refs

Apparently Vivianne Miedema has a younger brother who plays in the Dutch 2nd division. Maybe we should consider keeping an eye on him considering his sister is the GOAT.

Impact

Established Member
Funnily enough, I was thinking John McGinn would be a shrewd pick up for us in the LCM position if Arteta wants to replicate City's 4-3-3 system.

The jury is out on his short high volume passing ability: is he not capable or are his low numbers a result of playing at Villa who have a direct style?

But what he has in spades is the ability to dribble directly through the middle of the pitch. We haven't had that since Diaby/Wilshere. Guardiola's quotes below highlight how important that is. Not to mention his general industry and pressing ability, similar to our resident Scot, Kieran Tierney.

EagQBfpWsAkmz2P

EagQBGhXgAARCkr

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I was think John McGinn would be a shrewd pick up for us in the LCM position if Arteta wants to replicate City's 4-3-3 system. The jury is out on his short high volume passing ability: is he not capable or are his low numbers a result of playing at Villa who have a direct style. But what he has in spades is the ability to dribble directly through the middle of the pitch. We haven't had that since Diaby/Wilshere. Guardiola's quotes below highlight how important that is. Not to mention his general industry and pressing ability, similar to our resident Scot, Kieran Tierney.

EagQBfpWsAkmz2P

EagQBGhXgAARCkr
I think McGinn is the type of player Arsenal need in the middle of the park,high energy,box to box player to drive the team forward,doesn’t always need to be big name superstars to make a great team,I wouldn’t say Liverpool for example have superstars in centre midfield but they play to there strengths and it works in the system that Klopp sets out.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I will try to be as realistic as I can with this... The inner ramblings of my mind lol.

I think we have as close to a world class keeper as you can get. Along with one of the best backup keepers in the league, so that's fine. Leno and Martinez plus Leno is back in training at the end of July so its crisis adverted.

In terms of full backs I think Tierney, Kolasinac, Bellerin, Cedric and AMN will be our options for the upcoming season. Unless an offer comes in for Bellerin he will stay. If he leaves then the obvious replacement is Max Aarons. I'd personally sell Bellerin. I think Cedric and AMN are better. But realistically Bellerin will probably stay.

Centre backs is a weird one right now. Going into the summer window we'll have Sokratis, Luiz, Mari, Mustafi, Holding, Chambers, Saliba and Mavropanos on the books. Yet the ones in bold are the only ones we know are definitely staying. Mavro will go and then I'm not sure from there. The rest will be difficult to sell. I *think* we'll be able to get rid of 3 of the list above. I'm going with Mavropanos, Sokratis and Mustafi. And i'd expect £20M from the three. £20M into the transfer kitty. In terms of signings we're obviously after a new CB and Upamecano is clearly wanted by the club. A lot is dependant on European football but someone like him or Gabriel would be perfect. I want us to spend 30-40M on a very good CB this summer.

Central midfield is just as stacked with numbers as CB. Knowing Arteta wants to play a 433 then these are our current options... Xhaka, Torreira, Guendouzi, Willock, Elneny, Mikky, Özil, Smith Rowe, AMN and recently Saka as the LCM. 10 options for three spots. Mikky and Elneny will definitely go and Özil will either stay and sit on the bench or go, so he's as good as good imo. Torreira seems out of favour and Guendouzi is kicking up a stink. The only ones in that list I think will definitely stay are Xhaka, Willock, Smith Rowe although he's likely to be loaned, AMN and Saka. If we can get £35M for Guendouzi and sell Özil that's a success. Bring in Thomas Partey with either a swap or his release clause of £42M. Ideally I'd then add someone like Grealish or Aouar as the third midfielder. I think the best thing to do would be sign Partey at the base with Saka and a new signing. Realistically however I think we'll end up having a midfield trio of Partey, Saka and Xhaka next season.

Onto the forwards. Laca and Auba the big talking points. I think the most likely scenario is that one of them goes. And I think it'll be Auba. He's 31 now, constantly gets played out of position on the left and would take 300k a week to secure his service for max another 2 seasons. In an ideal world we use Lacazette in the Partey deal and sign a left winger. Tie Auba down and actually use him up front. A front three with a new left winger, Auba and Pepe is excellent on paper. But right now its very unbalanced and there's a lot of things up in the air. Either way unless two players leave I think we'll only make one signing in attacking areas. Leaving us with Martinelli, Nelson, Nketiah, Auba/Laca, Pepe and Saka plus one new signing.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If we are definitely moving a 433 next season, isn't anyone worried how defensive a Xhaka and Partey will be together? I think our biggest problem right now is the lack of creativity and our inability to make the ball stick in the final third. I think it should be one of Xhaka or Partey. Preferably the Ghanaian.

Look at City's front 6:

Sterling-Aguero-Mahrez
Silva-Rodri-De Bryune

United's front 6:
Rashford-Martial-Greenwood
Pogba-Matic-bruno

Chelsea's front 6 (confirmed new signings):
Werner-Abraham-Ziyech
Mount-Kante-Kovavic

Liverpool's front 6:
Mane-Firmino-Salah
Winaljdum-Fabinho-Henderson

Leicester:
Barnes-Vardy-Perez
Maddison-Ndidi-Tielemanns

Sp**s:
Son-Kane-Bergwijin
Alli-Winks-Sissoko

That's the competition we are up against next season. Now you realise how little creativity and goals we have. Arteta also said he wants goals from his midfielders in a press conference today.

Arsenal now
Auba-Nketiah-Pepe
Saka-Xhaka-Cellabos

Arsenal hopefully:
Martinelli-Nketiah-Pepe
Saka-Partey-Aouar..

None of the top 6 play with 2 DM's. You could argue Liverpool do with Henderson and Fabinho but that's only because they have the most creative right back in world football. AMN, Bellerin and Cedric are not creative monsters who can afford to be lax defensively. So, I expect them to defend well. Anyways, that is my dream.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I wonder what the reaction would be like if we went ahead and signed say Dunk, McGinn and Cantwell for 70-80? I'd guess outrage!

Those 3 would necessarily be my picks, but I'd live to see some proven Premier League talent.

Dunk/Ake/Diop for cb, Cantwell/McGinn/Dacoure for cm and then one marquee signing (Partey, Coutinho or Zaha).

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If we are definitely moving a 433 next season, isn't anyone worried how defensive a Xhaka and Partey will be together? I think our biggest problem right now is the lack of creativity and our inability to make the ball stick in the final third. I think it should be one of Xhaka or Partey. Preferably the Ghanaian.

Look at City's front 6:

Sterling-Aguero-Mahrez
Silva-Rodri-De Bryune

United's front 6:
Rashford-Martial-Greenwood
Pogba-Matic-bruno

Chelsea's front 6 (confirmed new signings):
Werner-Abraham-Ziyech
Mount-Kante-Kovavic

Liverpool's front 6:
Mane-Firmino-Salah
Winaljdum-Fabinho-Henderson

Leicester:
Barnes-Vardy-Perez
Maddison-Ndidi-Tielemanns

Sp**s:
Son-Kane-Bergwijin
Alli-Winks-Sissoko

That's the competition we are up against next season. Now you realise how little creativity and goals we have. Arteta also said he wants goals from his midfielders in a press conference today.

Arsenal now
Auba-Nketiah-Pepe
Saka-Xhaka-Cellabos

Arsenal hopefully:
Martinelli-Nketiah-Pepe
Saka-Partey-Aouar..

None of the top 6 play with 2 DM's. You could argue Liverpool do with Henderson and Fabinho but that's only because they have the most creative right back in world football. AMN, Bellerin and Cedric are not creative monsters who can afford to be lax defensively. So, I expect them to defend well. Anyways, that is my dream.

Arteta is a modern coach. Formations mean nothing to him. It's all about distances and spaces. We could go through multiple formations in a game. What he needs is adaptable and flexible players. It's probably why we are not going for Szlobozslai. Don't think about players who play 1 specific position. Those are goldilocks players we need to move away from.

Lacazette - can only function in a 2 man attack
Özil- can only play 10
Guendouzi - needs legs around him
Torreira- needs height and legs around him
Xhaka- needs the entire system to cater to him
Sokratis- CB only, not a good enough passer

Now think of the players we have who can play multiple positions but lack quality:

Kola- lcb, lb WB but not good enough technically or defensively.
Mustafi - CB, rcb, RB, but two error prone and physically insecure
Luiz - cb in 3 or 4, but error prone
Holding- cb in 3 or 4, but physically insecure

There are 3 exceptions in my opinion where you don't need a player with any flexibility. However they have to be good enough to allow them to be in one place.

For example, if Xhaka was press resistant and able to beat a man, but still lacked defensive ability and pace. An exception could be made.
If you have a Kane or Haaland type killer, they always stay central. A centre back who is good enough to always be in the centre.

So when we look at cbs who are left footed:

Matviyenko-can play lcb cb and lb. Has the pace to do it all.
Gabriel- can play cb and lcb, also has pace.
Sarr- cb, lcb, lb. He's free ffs.
Ndicka- cb, lcb,lb. Cheap.

When we look at strikers:
Edouard- can play wide, 10, as a lone forward or in a 2.
David- can play anywhere across the midfield and the front line.

Midfielders-
Matheus Henrique - 6, 8, 10
Partey- 6, 8 rb and probably cb.
Kamara- 6, cb

We need to evolve and we are.

Saka - lb, lwb, lm, lw,cm in a 3, am, rm, rw. Probably false 9 too.
Nelson- rb, rwb, rm, lm, rw,lw, cm in a 3.
Martinelli - lm, lw, cf
ESR - lm,lw, cm in a 3, am
Willock - lw,rw, lm, rm, cm, am, dm
Nketiah - cf, rw, lw
Tierney- cb,lcb, lb lwb, lw, lm and probably lcm in a 3.
Saliba- cb, rcb, rb probably dm.
Pepe - rw, rm, am, cf.
Auba - cf, lw, rw, lm, rm.
Bellerin - rwb, rb (although suspect physically atm)

When you have players who can be comfortable in different areas of the pitch it makes your team dangerous. It creates movement, it allows you to adapt to situations, it means you save substitutions in game, players can move around without feeling uncomfortable.

When Xhaka drives into midfield he gets uncomfortable and draws a foul. When AMN moved from rb with the ball into cm plays a pass, gets it back overlaps and runs down the right wing, that is what makes your team dynamic. I believe Arteta wants a whole team of that.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Arteta is a modern coach. Formations mean nothing to him. It's all about distances and spaces. We could go through multiple formations in a game. What he needs is adaptable and flexible players. It's probably why we are not going for Szlobozslai. Don't think about players who play 1 specific position. Those are goldilocks players we need to move away from.

Özil- can only play 10

Now think of the players we have who can play multiple positions but lack quality:

There are 3 exceptions in my opinion where you don't need a player with any flexibility. However they have to be good enough to allow them to be in one place.

For example, if Xhaka was press resistant and able to beat a man, but still lacked defensive ability and pace. An exception could be made.
If you have a Kane or Haaland type killer, they always stay central. A centre back who is good enough to always be in the centre.

Midfielders-
Kamara- 6, cb

Martinelli - lm, lw, cf
Nketiah - cf, rw, lw
Pepe - rw, rm, am, cf.

When you have players who can be comfortable in different areas of the pitch it makes your team dangerous. It creates movement, it allows you to adapt to situations, it means you save substitutions in game, players can move around without feeling uncomfortable.

When Xhaka drives into midfield he gets uncomfortable and draws a foul. When AMN moved from rb with the ball into cm plays a pass, gets it back overlaps and runs down the right wing, that is what makes your team dynamic. I believe Arteta wants a whole team of that.
You are exactly correct.

But there is one thing that we have to be careful of, which is buying multifunctional players for the sake of it. Because some of these players are being called “all rounded” and can play in multi positions just because they are not good at anything in particular (averagely good, but nothing spectacular).

I think for some positions, we can go for multifunctional players, and for some position we don’t need them. It really depends on the tactics.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Özil- can only play 10

Midfielders-
Kamara- 6, cb

Martinelli - lm, lw, cf
Nketiah - cf, rw, lw
Pepe - rw, rm, am, cf.

1)
2)

3)

4)

Most team arrive to the same final shape in attacking phase. How to achieve this final shape from your defending phase can be different.

1) and 3) are the same final shape occupied by different players. Which is achieved from the same starting line up 2) or 4) with different player movements. [2) resulted in 1)][4) resulted in 3)]

Notice in 2), you just need your full backs to have good stamina and pace. The wingers are more of an inside forward type, and they have to be good at finishing. But generally, you don’t need them to have that multi positional nature.

But if you take the 4) approach, you really need your full backs to have that attributes of a CM. And here wingbacks’ stamina and pace are less important than the 2) approach. And for the CM now, they becomes second strikers, so other than normal CM attributes, they also have to be good at dribbling, finishing. This is where we need those multifunctional players.

Last edited:

TornadoTed

Established Member
I've done a realistic wish list but now I'm going to try something a little more fanciful,

GK - Leno, Martinez

DL - Tierney, Lewis
DC - Gabriel, Mari
DC - Saliba, Luiz, Chambers
DR - Bellerin, Soares

MC - Saka, Özil, ESR
MC - Xhaka, Guendouzi
MC - Partey, Willock

FL - Depay, Martinelli
SC - Eduoard, Nketiah
FR - Pepe, Nelson

Out - Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding, Mavro, Kolasinac, Ceballos, Torreira, AMN, Mkhi, Auba, Lacazette

That looks a good solid, well balanced, versatile young squad with a major reduction to the wage bill, even more if we could do a similar deal to Mkhi with Özil.

Make small tweaks like Liverpool did with VVD and Allison replacing Bellerin and Xhaka over the next couple of years and that could be a title challenging squad in 2-3 years time IMO.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
1)
2)

3)

4)

Most team arrive to the same final shape in attacking phase. How to achieve this final shape from your defending phase can be different.

1) and 3) are the same final shape occupied by different players. Which is achieved from the same starting line up 2) or 4) with different player movements. [2) resulted in 1)][4) resulted in 3)]

Notice in 2), you just need your full backs to have good stamina and pace. The wingers are more of an inside forward type, and they have to be good at finishing. But generally, you don’t need them to have that multi positional nature.

But if you take the 4) approach, you really need your full backs to have that attributes of a CM. And here wingbacks’ stamina and pace are less important than the 2) approach. And for the CM now, they becomes second strikers, so other than normal CM attributes, they also have to be good at dribbling, finishing. This is where we need those multifunctional players.

Good post. That's the idea. But keep in mind, the only thing we are certain about Arteta's philosophy is that he attacks with 5 and leaves 5 back. He likes a line of 5. So when we played 4 at the back initially it was:

Saka-------Auba------Nketiah--------------Pepe
---------------------------------------Özil

-------------Xhaka-------Guendouzi------Bellerin

---------------------Luiz-------Mustafi

---------------------------Leno

With the 4 3 3 it was:

Saka-----Auba-----Nketiah---------------Pepe
-------------------------------------Ceballos
--------Tierney---Guendouzi----Bellerin

-------------------Luiz----Mustafi

-------------------------Leno

For 3 at the back without Auba:

Tierney--------------Lacazette----------------Pepe
--------------Saka-------------------Willock

-----------------------Xhaka-------------------AMN

-------------Kola---------Luiz-------Mustafi

--------------------------Martinez

So when it comes to being versatile, it always lends to having 5 forward. So the key aspect of the rebuild is to things for me. We need defenders who can cope with a 1v1 duel in wide areas. You can't be a top team in the world if your cb can't go into wide areas and deal with your fast wingers. Maria may be a good back up vs lower opposition, but we need that Saliba profile at left centre back too.

Another important factor I order to build play is we need a central midfielder who is technically gifted and press resistant. In an ideal world your holding midfield player is an absolute baller. Someone who can drop between the centre backs, spray it all over the pitch, but also play between the lines under pressure when in midfield. It's all about having the players to build and the players to counter top talent.

We have the players to hurt the opposition. The problem is getting the ball to them.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Currently the 3 at the back suits us as our defenders are insecure. I think we need to build around the following:

-getting Tierney forward
-getting Martinelli and Pepe close to goal
- giving Saka freedom.
- having a centre forward who is very good in the air.
- a midfielder that can combine with Pepe

I think the 4 3 3 is the best base to move from and to get back into a shape.

Martinelli---------CF-----------Pepe

--------Saka------------------New cm

---------------------New DM
Tierney--New cb----Saliba-----Soares

-----------------------Leno

When we go forward:

Tierney-----------------New CF---------------------
-------------------Martinelli------Pepe
-----------Saka-------------------------------New cm
-----------------------New dm-------------Soares

-----------------New CB-----------Saliba

-----------------------------Leno

New Cf needs to be good in the air, have good link up play and be able to run in behind. Osimhen can't link play, Edouard isn't as dominant in the air but is improving. Dembele is the most complete but has a lower ceiling than Edouard. So I would say Edouard.

Then you need a central midfielder who can combine with Pepe and go outside Pepe to allow him to go infield. Willock may progress into that player, ESR isn't as good going back but could work on it. Jonathan David seems perfect for this role.

The DM needs to be press resistant, good over large distances and a good passer. Is that Roca or Partey? I'm not so sure. It's probably the hardest player to find unless you go for Matheus Henrique.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom