• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

longrufus

Established Member
DeRossi for me, bit more agression to his play, and is a bit more dynamic, he can push forward and offer you something that way too, just more to his game.

I would take either in a heartbeat though. £20m well spent.

Its funny how we could of had Toulalan years ago for next to nothing, he was very close to signing for us but decided to stay on at Nantes

JazzG

Established Member
It is not just about aggression and running about though, Flamini provided plenty of that and we still leaked too many goals and our midfield at times wasn't giving enough protection. Look at Makelele, he didn't run around a lot or get stuck in but he had a decent range of passing and his positioning was spot on. Last season we conceded 31 goals and the season before we conceded 35 so not really much of an improvement. Even the season before that we conceded 31 and we just narrowly got 4th place.

Don't get me wrong I'd take De Rossi in a heart beat, love watching the guy and rate him but Toulalan would be better IMO, doesn't have as much energy but I think he has a better passing range than De Rossi and better positioning. Both of them have great fighting quality about them as well. He also has grey hair which is cool yet worrying at the same time for such a young age :lol:

longrufus said:
Its funny how we could of had Toulalan years ago for next to nothing, he was very close to signing for us but decided to stay on at Nantes

Unless I'm mistaken before he was at Lyon don't think he was used much as a defensive midfield player, really made that position his own at Lyon though.

longrufus

Established Member
I didnt say it was all about aggression and running. I just think that DeRossi can do everything Toulalan can, just as well. But he also gives you something extra, he gives you a bit of an edge, and if called upon, he can give you more impetus going forward, which is a great advantage. In the Euro's Toulalan showed when asked to play a bit more of an expansive game, he struggled to impress. Not taking anything away from Toulalan, he is superb, DeRossi just has a lot more about him.

Oh, and Toulalan has always been a defensive/holding player.

JazzG

Established Member
longrufus said:
n the Euro's Toulalan showed when asked to play a bit more of an expansive game, he struggled to impress. Not taking anything away from Toulalan, he is superb, DeRossi just has a lot more about him.

Don't agree with that at all, he was played out of position for France and didn't have a great tournament but still showed his class. Like sticking Fabregas as a defensive midfielder and then saying he wasn't too impressive. I think it was against Italy the first 25 minutes on the 2nd half he was dominant and so were France but once Italy got that 2nd goal that knocked the stuffing out of them

Like I said just watch him against Man utd last season to see his true qualities, De Rossi has played quite a few games against the mancs in recent years but never looked anywhere near as impressive as Toulalan did last season.

Not quite sure why we are discussing this, we haven't got a hope in hell of signing either ;)

longrufus

Established Member
JazzG said:
longrufus said:
n the Euro's Toulalan showed when asked to play a bit more of an expansive game, he struggled to impress. Not taking anything away from Toulalan, he is superb, DeRossi just has a lot more about him.
Don't agree with that at all, he was played out of position for France and didn't have a great tournament but still showed his class. Like sticking Fabregas as a defensive midfielder and then saying he wasn't too impressive. I think it was against Italy the first 25 minutes on the 2nd half he was dominant and so were France but once Italy got that 2nd goal that knocked the stuffing out of them

Not quite sure why we are discussing this, we haven't got a hope in hell of signing either
I agree that he played well in the tournament, but he didnt have that much to offer in terms of going forward, which has been my point. DeRossi can offer much more in this area as well as match Toulalan in all the others.

As you say though, this is a bit pointless.

outlaw_member

Established Member
De Rossi is a gung ho midfielder, and that type of player becomes a liability, when you already have so many offensive players. We don't need the DM to provide attacking impetus, when we already have 7 other players to do that. De Rossi, Flamini or Gattuso are not the type of players you want in a 4-4-2, unless they are playing alongside another defensive minded player. Flamini became too offensive minded in the 2nd half of last season, and we ultimately paid for it. As JazzG pointed out, we weren't any better defensively with him in the team, compared to previous seasons.

A midfielder who stays back is compulsory for an attacking minded team. You can't afford to have a player that runs around like a madman, who vacates his area at every given moment, because that will leave far too many holes in team, even if it helps you win the ball higher up the field. Not to mention, adding more defensive responsibilities on Cesc, which is not ideal. A player like De Rossi, or someone similar like Essien are often confused as DM's. However, they are more box-to-box midfielders, with defensive traits. You can use them as the deepest player in a 3 man central midfield, because there is obviously more cover. Although, in a 4-4-2 that's not the type of player you want, when you want to free the other CM(Cesc).

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
you mean like the way we used Flamini (similar type of player as DeRossi) in a 4-4-2 and it worked just fine?

Flamini was not to blame for our implosion in the back half of last year... i can remember plenty of games in the first half of the season where he would make his way up towards the front, but had the engine to get back (just as he did in the back half of last season)...

outlaw_member

Established Member
Flamini played a Jekyll/Hyde season, which hasn't really been picked up by many Gooners. In the 1st half, he provided the qualities we needed. However, as the season went on, he became more and more offensive minded, almost exonerating himself from his duties. I realised this at the time, and even mentioned it. It got to such an extent, that Flamini was constantly found ahead of Fabregas, which ocurred far more towards the end of the campaign.

It's exactly why Cesc stopped scoring, because he no longer had the same freedom to attack. This also lead to defensive problems, whereby our CB's were unable to attack the ball, due to the lack of cover. Therefore, resulting in a sudden increase in our inability to defend the high ball, which was not a problem earlier in the season.

raidersoftheark

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
De Rossi is a gung ho midfielder, and that type of player becomes a liability, when you already have so many offensive players. We don't need the DM to provide attacking impetus, when we already have 7 other players to do that. De Rossi, Flamini or Gattuso are not the type of players you want in a 4-4-2, unless they are playing alongside another defensive minded player. Flamini became too offensive minded in the 2nd half of last season, and we ultimately paid for it. As JazzG pointed out, we weren't any better defensively with him in the team, compared to previous seasons.

A midfielder who stays back is compulsory for an attacking minded team. You can't afford to have a player that runs around like a madman, who vacates his area at every given moment, because that will leave far too many holes in team, even if it helps you win the ball higher up the field. Not to mention, adding more defensive responsibilities on Cesc, which is not ideal. A player like De Rossi, or someone similar like Essien are often confused as DM's. However, they are more box-to-box midfielders, with defensive traits. You can use them as the deepest player in a 3 man central midfield, because there is obviously more cover. Although, in a 4-4-2 that's not the type of player you want, when you want to free the other CM(Cesc).

Pretty much agree with every word of this. Precisely why I think the Toule is the right man for the job.

I don't think it'll happen, but then again I didn't think Arshavin would happen.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
outlaw_member said:
It's exactly why Cesc stopped scoring, because he no longer had the same freedom to attack.
I think it had a lot to do with the fact that both Rosicky, Robin and Eduardo were out at the latter stages of the season and Hleb was about as dangerous going forward as Eboue. We only had two midfielders who could even strike the ball and both were playing in central midfield. It's true that Flamini was worse during the second part of the season, but Fabregas still took a lot of shots. They just weren't from that good positions. Whatever way you look at it it's hard to deny that we lost our edge when we lost our best offensive players. The same thing happened this year. The difference is that both Flamini and Fabregas still did a lot of defending whereas neither Denilson, Diaby or Song are very capable at it. The best one is probably Song, and in return he's too lazy and negligent to be fit to play in midfield for any longer period of time.

gunnerGH

Established Member
entropy13 said:
Goalkeepers:
Sebastien Frey - FRA
René Adler - GER

Defenders:
Arturo Vidal (D RLC) - CHI
Naldo (D C) - BRA
Jonny Magallon (D RLC) - MEX
Alexei Berezutsky (D LC) - RUS
Vasili Berezutsky (D RC) - RUS
Ucar Ugur (D RC) - TUR
Angelo Palombo (D C/DM) - ITA

Fullback/Wingback/Midfielder
Kadir Hakan Balta (D/WB/M L) - TUR
Urby Emanuelson (D/WB/M L) - NED
Carlos Diogo (D/WB R) - URU

Midfielders:
Santos Ramires (DM/M C) - BRA
Matias Augusto Fernandez (M RL) - ARG
Barbosa Richarlyson (M LC) - RBA
Diego (AM C) - BRA
Ricardo Montolivo (AM C) - ITA
Alberto Zapater (DM/M C) - ESP
Ariel Matias Fernandez (AM RL) - CHI
Florian Kringe (M RL) - GER
Vladimir Bystrov (AM R) - RUS
Javi Martinez (M C) - ESP
Simon Rolfes (DM/M C) - GER
Matias Delgado (AM C) - ARG
Axel Witsel (AM RC) - BEL
Clément Chantome (DM/M C) - FRA
Roberto Hilbert (M RC) - GER
Mehmet Topal (DM/M RC) - TUR

Forwards:
Jimmy Briand (F C) - FRA
Fuente Sergio Garcia (AM R, F C) - ESP
Rene Oscar Cardozo (F C) - PAR
Fabio Quagliarella (AM RL, ST) - ITA

Now I've added their (primary) nationalities. :p

You like English players i see?! :(

entropy13

Established Member
gunnerGH said:
You like English players i see?! :(

I've already said that it's mostly based from FM and SoccerManager. In those games, English players aged 20 and older are always either too expensive (also, even disregarding the "I'm English, so add more money in the fee" clause that happens in real life those players are still expensive; in SoccerManager, it's even more ridiculous, since a 10m for David James was still rejected, and only a 15m bid was accepted) or too sh*t. I've limited the list to players around those ages.

Most of the "great" English players "realistically" available are 18 years old or younger (and some of them are with Arsenal already ;)).

ricky1985

Established Member
With reports today *cough* in the NOTW *cough*, that we have 'signed' Yaya Toure, in principle, and I'm not for one second siuggesting that's true, but just supposing. Imagine this next season;

----------------------Almunia

----------------Gallas-----Djourou

Sagna---------------------------------------Clichy

---------------Fabregas-----Y.Toure

Nasri----------------------------------------Arshavin

---------------Van Persie

------------------------------Adebayor

Ok, so Almunia could certainly be improved upon, and perhaps one other position can be realistically improved upon; Djourou at centreback, but I think that would be one very balanced team.

It has real pace from Arshavin, Nasri, Ade and the fullbacks. Strength and power in the shape of Ade, Yaya and Djourou. World class technical ability and intelligence with Fabregas, Nasri, Arshavin and Van Persie. Individual flair and match winners in Fabregas, Arshavin and Van Persie. A real aerial power, through the spine of the team in Djourou, Yaya and Ade as well as Sagna, and 6 of the 11 are over 6 foot tall.

Can't see any real weaknesses, and the XI players are very versatile, which means, when required, those players could probably play 3 different formations; 4-3-3, 4-5-1 and the 4-4-2 above, as well as being very fluid in the positions they occupy.

We would also have Kolo, Song, Denilson, Ramsey, Diaby, Wilshere, Rosicky, Walcott, Bendtner, Vela, Eduardo as 'back-ups'.

Muchos exciting no?

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Sell Denilson, buy Toure.

Anyway we should definitely look at Silva, Villa, Raul Albiol, Mata those Valencia talents. They are in such a poor financial state they can't pay their players now.

We should get some of them here

Latest posts

Top Bottom