• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Captain

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Hmmm, I guess the nuance was missed anyway - 'we should make a play for Reina' isn't quite the same as 'we should have already signed Reina'.

Liverpool have big financial obligations, and no CL football next year. The focus is on Gerrard and Torres, obviously, but if we have cash to spend, we should be 'making a play' for Reina.

"A serious play" as you called it, suggests more than offering some money in secret and then accepting the inevitable rebuttal.

But whatever your nuance was supposed to be, it doesn't make a difference to what I said. My pioint was that we haven't 'made a play' because he isn't for sale, you replied that there is no such thing as 'not for sale' to which I re-affirmed my initial comment with some details as to why there is.

Transfers don't just happen because a club decides to make a bid; the buying club are almost always enticed into making the bid by a suggestion that the player is looking for a move (usually relayed through their agent and then via the necessary channels).

asajoseph

Established Member
And what does 'not for sale' mean?

That Liverpool wouldn't listen to any offers, no matter how high?

No matter who came in, and no matter how high the wages, Reina wouldn't be interested in moving?

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
qs said:
Not so much a wish as a practical option but I hear Liverpool are talking to Paul Scharner who's on a free. He's no great shakes but on a free he wouldn't be a terrible option for 4th choice. Certainly better than Silvestre.
considering djourou is so unreliable i think we need to go for a better player than Scharner. our 4th choice could quite conceivably end up playing 20 games or more

Timleaf

Established Member
I dont think we have the cash to force Liverpool to sell-they're more likely to get rid of Mascherano or Torres if they need funds- and I dont think we have quite enough pull for Reina to force a move.

If they dont finish top 4 next season I think he might be on the move, though.

asajoseph

Established Member
Timleaf said:
I dont think we have the cash to force Liverpool to sell-they're more likely to get rid of Mascherano or Torres if they need funds- and I dont think we have quite enough pull for Reina to force a move.

Liverpool's prospects aren't good - it will be even harder to break back into the top 4 next year, and financially they're under pressure, not to mention the saleability of their prize assets might have taken a big dent.

What's more, if they DO need to raise cash, they may prefer to sell a 2nd tier star like Reina or Mascherano, before losing one of the crown-jewels Torres or Gerrard...

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Reina has just signed a new six year contract and is ready to stay with them. Surely, if they want to keep any of their top players(there are four - Torres, Gerrard, Mascherano and Reina) they'd rather keep the one that wants to stay instead of forcing someone to play for them.

That makes Reina virtually untouchable. Of course, if you offer silly money then, they will sell you because they need it. But, I don't see us offering 25 million plus for him and forcing Liverpool's hand.

True Gooner

Established Member
asajoseph said:
Timleaf said:

Liverpool's prospects aren't good - it will be even harder to break back into the top 4 next year, and financially they're under pressure, not to mention the saleability of their prize assets might have taken a big dent.

What's more, if they DO need to raise cash, they may prefer to sell a 2nd tier star like Reina or Mascherano, before losing one of the crown-jewels Torres or Gerrard...

Reina's a pretty big asset at Liverpool, not only as a player but also as an individual - I'd go so far as to say that some of they would rather see Gerrard leave over Reina.

est

I think the fact that he signed a lengthy contract recently is the deciding factor. Liverpool aren't going to let him go unless we offer silly money, which we won't.

I'd love him here though.

qs

Established Member
Lord Dula said:
asajoseph said:
I have no idea why we aren't making a serious play for Pepe Reina.
Got us a pretty good reason now

he's a c**t of the highest calibre

Yep he should be booed every time he comes to the Emirates now, dickhead.

Rohit

Established Member
I liked the look of Diego Perez in the World Cup. He is 30 and should provide great back up/ competition for Song. Moving from Monaco to Arsenal would be a great step for him too, may not mind being on the bench.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Three more additions, down the spine of the side.

If I could chose,

Hart
Cahill
Melo

Do that and we should be ready for the season.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
Rohit said:
I liked the look of Diego Perez in the World Cup. He is 30 and should provide great back up/ competition for Song. Moving from Monaco to Arsenal would be a great step for him too, may not mind being on the bench.

I liked him in the World Cup too. Was a hardworking player with a good tackle on him and could link up defense to attack as well. Best bit was his attitude though, which was perfect for a defensive midfielder, hard worker and fighter.

I wonder how he is at club level though.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom