• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

Floating

Established Member
Bossa said:
I'd rather move for Mata or Nzogbia than Alvarez. I like Alvarez but I think that he's a little bit raw and there's a risk that he needs to acclimatise after just moving from Argentina.

Mata would cost 10m more but at least you know what you get. I think that we need a 20m player more than two 10m players.

Mata has potential, for sure, but it's not like he's a PL veteran — he's still relatively unproven and has only played in Spain. He's only 23, and quite small.

mo50

Established Member
Bossa said:
I just dont understand why we need three frigging wingers.

Thats because one or two of our existing attackers will be on their way out. As long as that doesnt include Nasri, I dont mind losing any of Bendtner/Rosicky/Arshavin.

With regards to the CB, I'd be happy with either Cahill or Samba, but not Jagielka who is expensive and a midget. I get the feeling that Cahill is a similar, yet slightly better and stronger version of Koscielny, while Samba would give us a completely different dimension.

Anyways, exciting times ahead (although I know I'm setting myself up for dissappointment) and hopefully the Clichy sale is finalized next week too.

spartandre217

Established Member
Anzac said:
spartandre217 said:
fabo said:
Come on man, stop being obtuse for the sake of it.

He's saying that the midfield malfunctions when certain players are unavailable, and Wenger perseveres with the same shape/roles regardless. The best example being Cesc's injuries and the failure of numerous people to fill that void in the AM role.

Although I think the wide players are as much to blame for that as the unsuitability of Nasri/Ramsey/Rosicky to play Cesc's role(that's another discussion). I doubt many, if any, midfielders in world football could do Cesc's job to the level he does.

I really wasn't being obtuse though. :shock:

Sure the AM position isn't as effective when Cesc is out but he DOES alter the position so that most forward midfielder plays DEEPER when Cesc is out to get on the ball more and give them more time to do their thing. See Ramsey vs Utd for more detail.

Which was about the ONLY time we saw the midfield work as an inverted shape as opposed to 3 distinct roles.

City and Chelsea were surely one-offs too huh. First half vs Newcastle? Tottenham? Surely those didn't happen either.

Anzac

Established Member
spartandre217 said:
Anzac said:
Which was about the ONLY time we saw the midfield work as an inverted shape as opposed to 3 distinct roles.

City and Chelsea were surely one-offs too huh. First half vs Newcastle? Tottenham? Surely those didn't happen either.

TBH I don't recall seeing the midfield work as 1 holding & 2 going forward in any of those games including ManU. As you say Cesc DID come deeper from AMC to get the ball, but I thought it was more to do with the players interchanging positions on the pitch as opposed to the position genuinely playing deeper as you suggest.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on our midfield.

Bossa

Established Member
Our midfield is very poor in the defensive aspect. And without Fabregas it also looks very average going forward.

arsenallegends

Established Member
No Fabregas will bring down any midfield to a notable extent. I think its all about the style and how the forward and backline are suited to the operations of the midfield. Fabregas has had the luxury to develop his style and have it become as ingrained in our offensive routines. I feel Ramsey and Jack if given the title in due time will be able to create their own offensive style. I think the overall dynamic is definitely unbalanced but individually (Song, Frimpong) and (Jack, Ramsey, Cesc) make up one of the most talented midfields in the league.

Bossa

Established Member
In three to four years a midfield of Song, Ramsey and Wilshere could be the best in the world but its not good enough right now therefore we need an experienced midfielder between them who is already at his top. Our oldest CM is only 24 so we could use some experience there.

Anzac

Established Member
spartandre217 said:
Do you disagree that our midfield is the most talented and efficient in the country?

I agree that it is the most talented, but not that it is efficient & that it is unbalanced & unsuited to the roles & patterns used.

Like too many aspects of our play it relies on having the best players available in those roles to execute it = we rely upon our 1st XI. Even saying that the 'advances' in midfield performance last season were more by good fortune than intent as a result of Wilshere siezing his opportunity as a result of injuries to the likes of Song & Denilson at the start. Had the other players been fit then we'd have seen them start ahead of Wilshere & we'd have had the same issues as seen latter in the B team in the Cups.

We need to leave this here as we are getting too far off topic.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
I'm so excited. I just can't hide it.

Mata
Cahill/Samba
Enrique
Parker

Out: Denilson, Squilacci, Bendtner, Almunia, Clichy and Rosicky.

Floating

Established Member
That would be a brilliant, and not too farfetched summer!

I'm not the most optimistic about Mata, so I'd put a "/Gervinho/Alvarez" qualifier. ;)

ebouenolike

Established Member
Oh ****. Yeh meant to put Clichy on the out list. Well spotted.

He's a decent player, but he has yet to execute an effective offside trap.

My wish list also includes Lansbury in the squad and perhaps the signing of Ox-Chamb but only if he doesn't mean we can't sign a defender or experienced attacker.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Out:

Bendtner, Denilson, Rosicky, Squillaci

In:

Samba, Parker/Vidal, Alvarez, Gervinho, Falcao

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator
Contract issues re Nasri getting sorted out, and at least that Ox-Chamb lad revealed as new signing until July 1st.

Anything more will be a bonus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom